• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Protect yourselves from pepper burns...

I decided to post this because of a recent experience I had with a Habanero. Last night I made a ham, cheese, tomato and Orange Hab sandwich and thought I was being careful while cutting up the Hab. In fact, my hands never got hot or tingly and I thought that since it was just one innocent Hab, "what harm could come out of not wearing gloves". Well, I was WRONG!!! I ate the wonderful sandwich after washing my hands a couple of times after making it. I even washed my hands after eating it. But, an hour afterward, while taking a shower, my left ear was on fire. OMG...what an experience! I can only think that I must have had some pepper oil left on my hand and somehow transfered it to my ear. Yes, it was the inside of my ear that was burning and burned for about half and hour after the shower.

Now, here's the funny part. I have a big box of heavy duty, industrial strength Nitrile gloves that are awesome, but just didn't use them. I decided to post a link where I found them since I thought I got a decent deal and wanted to share it with all of you. www.lss.com They have all of the protective gear that I think is necessary to be safe while enjoying our passion for peppers.

Lets remember to all be safe :lol: It's OK for our mouths to be burning, but other parts of the body is just plain annoying. :lol:

I wish it was my hands. Having one ear burning sucked. It threw my balance off and the more I tried to wash it out, the worse it got. I hope I have learned my lesson and not take my gloves for granted again. But I guess it could have been much, much worse...:oops:

I never wear gloves anymore but I always make sure to do the "lick the finger" test before touching any body parts.

Its amazing where the burn gets mine was when i was removing some bhut seeds and i scratched my arm where had a nat bite and god did it sting :)

mmmm'ham cheese, tomato and orange hab sandwich' sounds divine! I planted an orange hab on 1st March and it still hasn't flowered!

tori said:
mmmm'ham cheese, tomato and orange hab sandwich' sounds divine! I planted an orange hab on 1st March and it still hasn't flowered!

They're fantastic. I use soft cheese for mine and have the ham in a separate sandwich with salsa too. I haven't found a chilli that goes as well as orange habs though.

NatGreenMeds said:
Hey, that sounds kinky! It's Gnat......I'm Nat. hehe

5.gif

Nat..Gnats not here...

One I've had recently that was surprising was inside my nose.

I thought I'd washed properly and all, but when i went to rub my nose after eating a similar sandwich with my funky habs in it, a few minutes later the whole inside of my nostril where I'd rubbed it was on fire.

Man, that really stung for awhile.

I really need to get gloves..the ones I have do work, but don't fit well enough for precise cutting. I'm kinda wary of doing so as this a big Meth area and a long haired dude asking for lab gloves is just asking for it...

I am using oilve oil soap. Not the perfumed stuff, but the green blocks made of pure oil that you get in turkish/oriental stores. All natural and pretty cheap, too. Made sense to me, because capsaicin is fat solutible as we all know. Works okay.

QuadShotz said:
I really need to get gloves..the ones I have do work, but don't fit well enough for precise cutting. I'm kinda wary of doing so as this a big Meth area and a long haired dude asking for lab gloves is just asking for it...
It's a sad day that you would be worried about buying a box of rubber gloves at a Drugstore because that type of glove is also worn by scumbags who make meth.

Better not buy any pyrex cookware either. I've heard those Meth labs have it all over the place.

Wait, the guys at meth labs eat bread also. NO MORE BREAD!

Water.....oh my God! The meth labs have WATER all over the place!

Dude, if you're worried about someone thinking that you're running a meth lab for no other reason than you need a box of rubber gloves for cutting hot peppers and you happen to have hair that is longer than some.....

I didn't read your bio, but do you live in Russia? China? Hell man, move to the USA. We don't do that here. The cops don't run our lives as long as we give them no REAL reasons to enter it.

The gloves are on a shelf in the drugstore, right out there near the other every day normal stuff.

Paranoia will destroy ya.....

NatGreenMeds said:
It's a sad day that you would be worried about buying a box of rubber gloves at a Drugstore because that type of glove is also worn by scumbags who make meth.

Better not buy any pyrex cookware either. I've heard those Meth labs have it all over the place.

Dude, if you're worried about someone thinking that you're running a meth lab for no other reason than you need a box of rubber gloves for cutting hot peppers and you happen to have hair that is longer than some.....

I didn't read your bio, but do you live in Russia? China? Hell man, move to the USA. We don't do that here. The cops don't run our lives as long as we give them no REAL reasons to enter it.

The gloves are on a shelf in the drugstore, right out there near the other every day normal stuff.

It will indeed..You bonkers floridian you :lol:

NatGreenMeds said:

Well Doc, with all due respect you don't live in the NW. It's different here.

They DO check if you buy any chemicals or lab type gear in quantity, or even other common household items. There are signs right at the checkstands.

http://www.gssacpreventioncenter.com/scmat.htm

The Washington Meth Watch Program is a collaborative initiative, which began in Spokane County by the Greater Spokane Substance Abuse Council (GSSAC) and the Spokane County Meth Action Team to curtail drug lab activity by making the theft or purchase of precursor products more difficult. Since inception, it has grown from a core group of retailers using signage, educating employees, and reporting suspicious activity, to a broad membership of businesses linked together to prevent theft, fraud, and abuse in our community. Our group consists of Grocery Markets, Drug Stores, Convenience Stores, Auto Parts Stores, Pet/Farming Supply Stores, Banks, Credit Unions, Security Firms, Property Managers, and Storage Facilities. The strong community partnerships and proactive involvement of business owners and citizens alike, has made this prevention program a success throughout the state of Washington.

I garantee you if I go to Wal-Mart and buy nitrile gloves, and a couple other common household chemicals I'd use for gardening and kitchen use..it's noticed. Add to that my history of buying growing supplies..well you get the idea.

It's not being paranoid, it's being cautious in a paranoid time.

-QS

hixs said:
Yea it`s the eyes,,,nothing worse than the eyes!hehehe

I got a good splash of home-made hot sauce right in my eye this year and it hardly burned at all. I actually felt the acidity more than the chile. I guess there aren't a lot of pain receptors in the eye but it does get worse if you rub it around.

Back