• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pubescens Thread - CMPMAN1974 - 2009

How are those growing for you millworkman? I believe we're growing the same seeds, and mine are a mixed bag so far. Many flowers on just one of my three plants, and the seem to be having trouble setting fruit. My neighbor has some of the same plants going in her yard, and hers are fruiting nicely though. She also has 2 hives of bees to keep her plants happy though!

Everything started really really slowly for me this year. After that, everything is coming in nice. I have two going and they are both flowering but only one is setting fruit. The one setting is only in the sun for 3-4 hours a day and the other is full sun almost 10 hours. I am pretty sure these guys like it cooler before they really get going.

Chris, your pod pics are the best in the business. I'll bet you could sell them! Extremely well done man.

Here's a picture I took today of my Aji Lucento. 3 different stages right next to each other on the plant
IMG_9572.jpg

It tastes really good. HOT but sweet. It's hard to compare. This and the manzano are the only pubs I've had and it doesn't taste like the manzano. It has a very fragrant kind of flavor. Oh, and they are juicy!

Waited a LONG time to finally obtain and successfully grow this bad boy. Tastes crappy IMO, but what a cool novelty. I'm sure you can guess which of the two varieties I'm referring to. lol.

Chris

P1080191.jpg

P1080193.jpg

P1080195.jpg

Holy Moly! Please tell me where the Brown Rocoto originates from. I've been trying forever to try to find some sort of match to my Aji Lucento. That's the closest I've seen so far. Shape wise at least. My Lucentos supposedly originated from hills of Ecuador. At least that's what I was told.... Am I wrong? Or is there no way of knowing?

Scarpetti, I'm not sure the exact location. It was discovered in by a Sweedish treasure finder who scours countries looking for rare stuff. He sourced it in '05 I'm told. He's big time into tomatoes, but I guess other stuff catches his eye too. I never believed this would've existed until I was told about it 2 yrs ago.

Chris

I remember seeing this brown roccoto while searching around on other forums at some point. So the taste isn't exciting? Hmmm... That kinda sucks. Great pics though Chris, and please keep them coming! Seems you have a thing for the Pubescens varieties huh?

FiveStar said:
I remember seeing this brown roccoto while searching around on other forums at some point. So the taste isn't exciting? Hmmm... That kinda sucks. Great pics though Chris, and please keep them coming! Seems you have a thing for the Pubescens varieties huh?

They seem to work best for me. I get an "OK" yield from everything else, but I get the SF Bay Area Fog until about noon time through out the summer here. Have you ever heard the quote " The coldest summer I spent was in San Francisco"? Well, we get that fog here! Even though I'm on the other side of the bay. And I actually just love the flavor of the Pubescens for than any thing else. I'll PM you when my Aji Lucento sauce is done. And yes, I need more varieties here!

scarpetti said:
They seem to work best for me. I get an "OK" yield from everything else, but I get the SF Bay Area Fog until about noon time through out the summer here. Have you ever heard the quote " The coldest summer I spent was in San Francisco"? Well, we get that fog here! Even though I'm on the other side of the bay. And I actually just love the flavor of the Pubescens for than any thing else. I'll PM you when my Aji Lucento sauce is done. And yes, I need more varieties here!

Hey Chris, hows it going?
are you lookin for more varieties of C. Pubescens? let me know and they're on the way...

scarpetti said:
Holy Moly! Please tell me where the Brown Rocoto originates from. I've been trying forever to try to find some sort of match to my Aji Lucento. That's the closest I've seen so far. Shape wise at least. My Lucentos supposedly originated from hills of Ecuador. At least that's what I was told.... Am I wrong? Or is there no way of knowing?

I don't have any browns to spare this season but maybe you'd like this one, CGN 23768 (PI 260598)? Its got a real unusual shape.

Fivestar, yes I have a thing for this species. :) I've always failed miserably in previous years, but the weather has been decent for this species here. No huge pod amounts and I probably will never get that, but I find this variety the most usable in dishes. I love the flavor of most too.

The brown rocoto could use better flavor. I can't even explain the flavor but I'm not excited about it. lol. Kind of a weird taste where you expect some heat to come, but alas it never does. Low to medium on the heat scale (consistent with others who grew it).

My goal really is to find varieties that like my climate, produce big pods and large plants. The pods must have nice heat/flavor. I have stumbled on a rare one that has fit all requirements so far in my garden. Now I'm waiting for pods to ripen to taste them. It's called Rocoto Inca. I LOVE this plant. Very tall, giant elongated heavy pods. it may be a hybrid though. it's producing pods I didn't think were achievable in zone 6. :)

Once i find the few good one(s), those will be my staples in the garden. Believe me? :)

Chris

Silver_Surfer said:
Very nice, I'm gonna try these again next year.

I have 6 or 7 Manzanos growing...red and yellow...but they don't seem to like this hot north Texas summer weather...just hoping to keep them alive until the weather cools...am wondering how long into the winter they will grow...

FiveStar said:
She also has 2 hives of bees to keep her plants happy though!

if your neighbor has bees, you should be getting the benefit of them too...

cmpman1974 said:
My goal really is to find varieties that like my climate, produce big pods and large plants. The pods must have nice heat/flavor. I have stumbled on a rare one that has fit all requirements so far in my garden.

Same thing I am doing here Chris...over the past few years, I have come to see that cayennes/serranos/jalapenos produce the best during the summer here but the hotter varieties don't produce as well and wait until the fall until they start pouring pods out...

I just don't think manzanos/rocotos like my weather...

I have 6 or 7 Manzanos growing...red and yellow...but they don't seem to like this hot north Texas summer weather...just hoping to keep them alive until the weather cools...am wondering how long into the winter they will grow...

I was picking ripe Aji Lucento and Manzano from my plants half way through last December! I stuffed them and brought them to a Christmas party!

@ AJ

I didn't grow any this year. Last year my 2 plants bloomed nicely but never set fruit. Next season I think I'll try them under a shade tree.

These pubes definitely do not like hot humid weather.

I gave up on growing pubescens, I never have much success no matter what I do. I've tried shade, greenhouse, full sun, and different nutrients but have just lost interest in them now:(

Back