• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2015 - New Year, New Hopes

I've been working towards 2015 for a bit now, so I figured I might as well get the glog fired up.

Quick recap: I'm a pastor was moved by the denomination last summer (happens every so often in my profession), so 2014 was not great. The soil in the new garden spot needs a ton of work. So this year is a year I hope to move forward.

One benefit of the new place is a 10 by 10 (or so) area in the basement that I can use as a plant room.  I've been working on that lately.

The room was previously used as a small wood shop, so it has a large table and a simple, homemade wooden shelving set up.  Here is a shot of it with the lights temporarily in place for my over winters.  I've already taken out one level in order to have a large growing area in the middle.  Also, on the far end, you can see I began a simple extension.  I wish I had a picture of how it was when I first started.  There were narrow shelves on that far wall.  I tore all of that out.  Also, there was a ton of paint and stuff on the shelving unit, that I had to move elsewhere.

growstep1.jpg

I got some insulation from a big box store (Menards), and began cutting and duct taping it in place.

growstep2.jpg

I attached the vanity lighting to 1 1/2 by 3, then screwed it in from the top so the screw head was flush with the upper level, and the lighting was as far up as it would go.

growstep3.jpg

Insulation in, lights on. On the top level I have 2 four foot t8 bulbs. 6500k color. The heat from the CFL's on the mid level make the top compartment warm. I hope warm enough for seeds to sprout.

growstep4.jpg

Since I want to be able to have loose plants on the mid level, but don't want water seeping into the wood or down into the lights on the bottom level, I took some cardboard from our packing boxes and made a custom fit box for that second level. I then lined the box with 2 garbage bags I sliced up the sides in order to make plastic sheeting.

growstep5.jpg

For the bottom level, I added insulation on the floor, since I figured cold air would come up from that. I also bought an 8 bulb, 4 foot, T5 grow light, which you can see hanging from the top of that bottom level. Finally, I thought I'd put a little 10 gallon fish tank in the bottom. This will provide humidity and when I get water from it to water the plants, it'll be full of nitrogen. Oh, and in the tank are 2 Firemouth cichlids.

growstep6.jpg

Also on the bottom level, to the right, I put in an exhaust fan. I got 2 of these little fans. They were on sale because they were out of season. I cut a custom hole in the insulation and stuck it in. I know, it looks factory made, right?

growstepfan.jpg

And here is the whole set up. Maybe you can see the second exhaust fan. I put it in the upper level to the right to blow across the seedlings when the come up. Also, my thought was that I could push the hot air to the left where there is a gap running down the side wall, and maybe the bottom fan would pull it all the way to the lower level and push out the cold air.

growstep8.jpg

Of course, you need to cover the front in order to keep the heat in. I took some large cardboard boxes and covered the front with Mylar emergency blankets.

growcover.jpg

I put two screws on each side on the very top, and ran some wire through the top of the card board wall. And I hang them on that to hold it up.

growlatch.jpg

Ok that's my 10 picture limit.  I'll try to make it back tomorrow to cover my overwinters and the seeds I just put down, as well as the soil rehab project. 

It's been fun to get this going.  Hopefully it'll pay off.

Thanks for stopping by!

Andy,

Looks like I missed the start but all caught up now. The setup looks great, I like the fact that you insulated everything to keep in that warmth, no doubt sure had an effect on the sucess of the galopoganese also like the DIY box to put the plants in and keep the shelves dry when watering, great idea.  Good to see that the locals are interested in the grow too and are already lending a helping hand. Thanks for the link on the sheet mulching it seems to be a step in the right direction for sure. Great picture of the fam, hope you had a good christmas and a new year. Here's to a great season
:cheers:

Allright, Andy, looks like you are getting serious now!
Good to see the early seedings start to poke their heads up.
It will be interesting to see how the Baccto works for you
as a seed starting mix.  Never heard of it.

Good luck going forward, my friend!

PaulS said:
Happy new year dude. It looks like you and your kids had a good one.
I hope your fish is still loving his new home!

Thank you!

The fish are doing well.  My youngest will drag me downstairs to check on them, and he loves feeding them.

fishtank.jpg

Devv said:
Looking good Andy!

Love the family pic!

Keep on doing what you're doing!
Thanks! 

beerbreath81 said:
Andy,

Looks like I missed the start but all caught up now. The setup looks great, I like the fact that you insulated everything to keep in that warmth, no doubt sure had an effect on the sucess of the galopoganese also like the DIY box to put the plants in and keep the shelves dry when watering, great idea.  Good to see that the locals are interested in the grow too and are already lending a helping hand. Thanks for the link on the sheet mulching it seems to be a step in the right direction for sure. Great picture of the fam, hope you had a good christmas and a new year. Here's to a great season
:cheers:
Glad you're all caught up and thanks for checking it out! Do you have a 2015 glog going yet?
The heat is holding in well and I don't even have to use my seedling heating mat. My germination rates seem to be going pretty well with the superhots I just put in the soil. 

PaulG said:
Allright, Andy, looks like you are getting serious now!
Good to see the early seedings start to poke their heads up.
It will be interesting to see how the Baccto works for you
as a seed starting mix.  Never heard of it.

Good luck going forward, my friend!
Hey Paul - I think the Baccto is a local thing. Or at least the stuff I have is from a local source, so that's pretty cool.  Here is a link to their website, although it's funny, they are a Michigan company, headquartered in Houston, Tx?  Must be a tax thing.

Anyway, the germination has gone well thus far.

Speaking of germination, here are a couple of shots of hooks and seedlings:

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

And a close up of one beginning to reach up:

seedling.jpg

The overwinter Bhut Orange Copenhagen is doing well. None of the flowers are setting pods yet. not sure if they will, but the plant is looking good. So are the two smaller ones that I received from the guy at the grow shop.

boc.jpg

I added another T5 light set, so here is my grow shelf with everything set. I think this will be the final set up.

fullview.jpg

Finally, when I cleaned my 90 gallon tank upstairs, I kept a bunch of that water in old juice jugs and a 5 gallon bucket. I noticed the water in the open bucket made the grow room smell funky, so I grabbed a bubbler I had and oxygenated the water. I think the bad smell may have been from anaerobic bacteria growing and that would not be good for the plants, I think. After the water got some oxygen, the smell left. So I added some of the worm juice I got from a parishioner to the bucket as well. I figure I'll have a bit of a nutrient mix in the water now. We'll see.

fishwater.jpg

Alright, that's all - have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!

Very much enjoyed reading through your prep work on the grow station and the layered no till soil technique.  Only suggestion I can give is prop the smaller plants up and get the closer to the light since you have the BOC overwinter using the same light.  I can wait till you have plants filling those shelves will be a pretty site for sure.  I already miss college football and it's not even been a week yet, congrats on the Spartans comeback and the Big Ten overall this year.  Good looking family you got Andy and bless the new soil may it be bountiful in 2015! 

Excellent grow shelf, Andy!  Should work like a charm with the new light.
The seedlings are looking good - ready to rock!

All right, how's that upgraded grow shelf unit working?

Thanks again for all the kind words everyone!

Here's an update...

The seedlings are getting bigger

seedlings.jpg

The stuff you see on them is cinnamon, which is an anti-fungal and is supposed to stop dampening off. I've had good luck with it. Plus is smells good.

You may remember, I received two free seedlings from a guy at an indoor grow shop. I plan on returning the favor when I get some bigger seedlings. Anyway, the scotch bonnet is in front, and the Aji Pinguita de Mono is the tall one.

pinguita.jpg

I had to repot the rockwool group that I began early. Rock wool just isn't my thing. I was probably supposed to give them nutrients earlier or something. They are small and not good looking. So I put them in some soil - kept them it the rock wool, I just buried the cubes. I hope they recover.

rockwool.jpg

And a closer shot:

rockwool2.jpg

I got some seeds in the mail. First, from a few places: Jungs, All Good Things Organic Seeds, and Baker Creek. I've had good luck with all three of those, and they have some interesting things.

seeds2.jpg

And thank you Cappy!!!! Some Brain Strain seeds from the guy who developed the strain! I'm excited about these, and I've already let the guys in the pepper draft know that I received them. Brain Strains are infamous in the pepper draft circles, so this will be fun!

seeds1.jpg

My grow list keeps... well, growing. So I've got a colorful and helpful chart

chart.jpg

I began mixing my soil mix tonight - here is a shot of the "DairyDoo" compost

soilmix1.jpg

My recipe is as follows:
5 gallons sphagnum peat
3 gallons Dairy Doo Compost
1 gallon Vermiculite
1 gallon Perlite
10 Tbsp Root Dr. Root Zone fertilizer
5 Tbsp shrimp shells (calcium)
5 Tbsp Peruvian Sea Bird guano
5 Tbsp Jamaican Bat Guano

Here are my girls mixing everything together:

soilmix2.jpg

Ok, I've got to head to bed.
Thanks for stopping by!

As I pot mine into 3.5" pots once they get 2-3 sets of leaves, I've been putting a sprinkle of bat guano into the pot. I figured I was giving them a light dose but certainly a lot higher ratio than your mix. I've had god results. Plants take a nice jump the week they get into the bigger pots & leaves are pretty dark. You're just putting a tiny amount of guano in your mix. Am I putting too much in? I'd say I'm putting a tablespoon per 3.5" pot. That's the only nutrition they've received so far.

PaulS said:
Plants are looking really nice dude. I haven't heard of using cinnamon like that, nice tip!
Thanks! I can't remember where I heard about the cinnamon thing, but between using chamomile tea to soak seeds in and cinnamon on top, I've avoided dampening off the past few years (knock on wood). 

coachspencerxc said:
As I pot mine into 3.5" pots once they get 2-3 sets of leaves, I've been putting a sprinkle of bat guano into the pot. I figured I was giving them a light dose but certainly a lot higher ratio than your mix. I've had god results. Plants take a nice jump the week they get into the bigger pots & leaves are pretty dark. You're just putting a tiny amount of guano in your mix. Am I putting too much in? I'd say I'm putting a tablespoon per 3.5" pot. That's the only nutrition they've received so far.
To be honest with you, I don't know. I may add more guano in, I'm not sure. I did a smaller amount because the proportions on the bag were like 1 Tablespoon per gallon of dirt, if I remember right. And I did less than that because I am adding so many different nutrients into the mix. If the guano was the only thing, I'd add more for sure. This is similar to a mix I've used for a few years, and it has worked well. I don't really have to fertilize until plant out, and the drainage seems to be good.

I don't think the guano that is sold and bagged would be too hot - so I doubt you'll burn your plants - but if anyone else knows something here, jump in!

Looking good Andy. As far as the rockwool cubes are concerned, I believe you are supposed to give them some nutes, but now that you have them in soil, I'm sure they'll take off.

great looking plants Andy, never heard of using cinnamon to deter damping off, may have to experiment with it this year. Nice soil Mix and looks like your girls are very eager to join in the fun and get thier hands dirty.

Back