• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Purple (maybe even brown) cotelydons

Every single chilli plant I've grown has had green cotelydons, except for now.

Fatalii sent me a heap of extra varieties, including Golden Nugget. So they germinated quickly, and the first popped up ... green. Yep, normal stuff. Second popped up .... purple? Yeah ok, something weird going on here, but in the space where I planted the one that's come up purple I put another seed of the same type, and it's also just popped up purple.

Pics:

DSC01682.JPG
DSC01683.JPG

So the question I ask, is this a cross or normal behaviour? Are there any other species that have this dark a colour of cotelydons?

The seedling tray is under a 130W CFL, and none other of the 11 varieties that have sprouted display the same symptoms, so I'm hoping its some sort of weird ass cross.

Thats nothing, there's a 220W purple CFL I'm yet to crank up for the first time :)

I think I measured about 10K lux at the top of the seedlings and its a few inches above them, works pretty good for seedling stage. Much prefer LED's, if I can find a 45W all blue light I might get one

MiLK_MaN said:
Thats nothing, there's a 220W purple CFL I'm yet to crank up for the first time ;)

Good grief, Charlie Brown - that's got to be equal to a 1,000 watt incandescent one. You are gonna need a pair of sunglasses or a welding mask to check your plants!

I think I measured about 10K lux at the top of the seedlings and its a few inches above them, works pretty good for seedling stage. Much prefer LED's, if I can find a 45W all blue light I might get one
I'm surprised it isn't a lot higher. When I checked my 105 watter and at about six inches it was over 14K lux.

Nat posted something that made a lot of sense to me, and I think I read something that verified it: lumens are measured by how many hit the surface one foot from the light source. My bulb was rated at 6,900 lumens and at about six inches getting a little over 14K is in the ballpark.

I wasn't impressed with my 14 watt all blue light. Okay, at first I was but after a couple of weeks, the plant was just as leggy as the red/blue, but not quite as bad as the all-red.

The best LED I've used was an older one, it was the 225 bulb, 14 watt model with the normal proportion of red to blue. But for some reason, the blue was more prevalent. It cast a purple color, rather than the pink color modern 225 panels do. I loved how seedling grew under it, even though the panel was close to a foot away from the tops of the plants.

My problem is I have to go 2.5 months before I can start seeds and I don't intend on those bulbs going that long unused. Fortunately, I have an old armoire that's large enough to hold a hydroponics tub and a 5-gallon bucket. With a little ingenuity I should be able to make it work for some cucumbers and tomatoes.

Mike

MiLK_MaN have had a few varietys start like that and then as leaves
have got larger they revert back to green..Off course mislabeling does occur and you may have a surprise coming :)

I planted 2 seeds in the same area as this Golden Nugget with the purple cotelydons, and the other popped up exactly the same.

I wonder if there's some specific chemical the first seedling released in the soil that was absorbed within the second seed or something. Or maybe Im just trippin.

I have two new fatalii (the variety not the person) sprouts that have slightly purpled cotlydons, the seeds came from Neil. Any chance they're crossed with something Neil? would be pretty cool!

I grew a peruvian purple chile a few years ago. It was badass looking, it sprouted green but turned purple within 20 minutes. Pretty cool to watch. GORGEOUS plant.

3047148702_d370df92fc_b.jpg

Chilliman lists purple leaves as one of his known symptoms of nutrient deficiency in pepper plants.

Wayyyy too hammered on Bourbon to actually include a link.

Brokensea said:
Chilliman lists purple leaves as one of his known symptoms of nutrient deficiency in pepper plants.

I find it impossible for cotelydons to be deficient of nutrients, the seed is meant to have everything the plant needs before chlorophyll starts being produced.

Brokensea said:

Well, Chilliman is wrong then.

If I remember right some of mine were purple last year, not from deficiency but just the nature of them. Of course I was new to growing peppers from seed so had no idea they weren't supposed to be that color. They did just fine. Sometimes not knowing much is a plus, I just let them grow.

Back