• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Mr.joe said:
The foliage on that one is almost black! Beautiful plant Paul. Today was the start of dirt day here I still have some more to go. I planted my thunders together and then realized i had another one that was much more green, a bit mad at myself because that one is going into a different row now. My lack of organizational skills really shows at times like this. Unfortunately I have a few nice looking plants that just won't make tube cut this year, maybe I'll try a few containers...
Congrats on Dirt Day! It's almost as much fun as "Hook Day"

lespaulde said:
Got my first pod growing BTW! :dance:

fe73c9b953b0b7ad76e80ff41f4b9fed.jpg

Interesting that the foliage only seems to reach full purple color in intense sunlight - its been cloudy this past week and suddenly a lot møre green appeared

98d00e8de45647f4d35631654fbf0fd3.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mine did that too, they were really dark under the LED system, once outside they lightened up with the cloudy weather. Now they're going dark again; we're seeing June weather already :shh:

+1 Devv, my purple varieties are staying
pretty dark in the greenhouse, 'cause we've
had some sun. A week of cloudy weather,
and they lose a step.

I have a few adult Purple Thunder specimans in large pots here in Panama that are about 120 days old.  They have purplish leaves but are not dark purple at all.  I guess you would call it a purple tint.  The stems and branches are a nice dark purple.  The sun here in Panama is very bright and intense.  I have to shade the plants.  They cannot take the intense sun for more than an hour or so.  All my chili's have to be in shade.  None of my plants ever had really dark leaf color.  There is differences in color in the pods though.  Some are more purple than others.  I have quite a bit of pods ripening now.  The Purple Thunder number 3 has the largest pods.  They ripen a nice blood red color which is a purplish kind of red.  They ripen very slow.  Plants are over 5 feet tall.  Some are close to 6.  

Your plants sound great, Glen. Have you posted
any new pics in Seed Savers?

It will be interesting to see what planting the seeds
at the beginning of good growing season will produce!

No, you saw the last ones I posted.  I am waiting for more pods to ripen.  They take a long time to ripen compared to other species.

Tomorrow I will try to snap a few pod foto's.  

The plants are doing excellent and have done excellent in the hot climate and serious hot sun.  They really surprised me.  You just have to shade the plants and protect them from strong wind.  I had to learn this.  Purple Thunder sets fruit well in the heat.  Usually only one fruit per node though.  Fruits can be very big too.  You will see pods thru out the length of the branch.  Purple Thunder number 3 really makes big fruits and I love the blood red color of the pods.  Pods very spicey and demand respect.

Plants grow very tall and full.  Put em in a big pot and then get out of the way.

I am trying to be patient so I can get enough of these peppers ripened so I can make a nice salsa.  If I mix them with some other Bhuts I have I might have enough soon.

By the way, I have already started the next generation of Purple Thunder.  The fresh seed I used germinated readily.

Glen_ said:
Ok, I managed to get out there and snap some foto's and pick some ripe pods.  

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial?page=3

There is quite a few photo's so its probably better that I am posting a link to them so it doesn't look like I am trying to take over this thread.

Click on the thumbnails if you want to see any larger photo's.
Thanks, Glen.

You can post all the pics here you want to!

Those Yellow Mystery pods are just awesome.
Save me some of those seeds!

PaulG said:
Thanks, Glen.

You can post all the pics here you want to!

Those Yellow Mystery pods are just awesome.
Save me some of those seeds!
Don't worry Paul-I will be saving seeds to send you.  I have already planted F5 yellow mystery's also.  You might want those more.

Glen_ said:
Ok, I managed to get out there and snap some foto's and pick some ripe pods.  

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial?page=3

There is quite a few photo's so its probably better that I am posting a link to them so it doesn't look like I am trying to take over this thread.

Click on the thumbnails if you want to see any larger photo's.
Your green Mystery ripened red? I do have one of those, still all green. I have a #2 that has super dark pods, see below.

184.jpg

Under 30% shade cloth, dry as heck here and 96°. The soil does not need to be watered, don't ask the plant :rolleyes:

Devv, I know its confusing because there are so many different variants.  I have one mystery plant growing and it ripens a nice yellow.
Its a nice plant and the pods are a nice fairly clean yellow color.  Paul liked the look of the pods.  

I have a Purple Thunder 3-that is all green.  The pods are pure green until they ripen to a bubble gum reddish color.  I like the plant but doesn't make as nice of pods as the Purple Thunder 3 which is a purple plant.  The Purple Thunder 3 plant has huge pods that are a little wrinkled but nice and blood red in color.  I like that plant the best.  That one and the mystery plant.

Purple Thunder 2 has the most purple pods.  And, the smallest pods but it really produces a lot of pods.  There are 2 of those plants.  Only one has ripened and its not the most attractive pod.  Its caramel in color and yellow.  I don't know what the final shape is going to be yet.  Those plants took longer to start producing.  Judging by your Purple Thunder number 2 you got real nice big pods.  They also look real purple.  

As far as which version is the best.  Thats just up to the individual.  Whatever you like.  

I have already planted the f5 seed from Purple Thunder 3 and also mystery.  Seedlings look good now.  I can speed up the stabilization process because of where I live.  But, its up to the grower to select the right seed to grow for the next generation.  Since I didn't really plant that many plants I didn't have many options.  But, I got lucky because I have good parents growing now.

My Purple Thunder 2 plant might not be a keeper.  Pods are a little small.  Yours look huge so maybe your plant is a much better plant for seed saving than mine?

I prefer nice sized pods.  Easier to work with when its time to make sauce.

Back