• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking plant Paul. The leaves are dark!

I noticed the deep purple left the leaves for the most part after I planted. The East fence group is way lighter than the dirt group. It has been cloudy here as well.

Devv said:
Nice looking plant Paul. The leaves are dark!

I noticed the deep purple left the leaves for the most part after I planted. The East fence group is way lighter than the dirt group. It has been cloudy here as well.

That deep purple color should come back in
the summer sun. The cooler Fall weather will
see more green returning, but should still be
lots of purple.

Devv, your plants look awesome!!!  Did you notice any all green specimans?  I have a PT 3 all green speciman in a 10 gallon pot with a purple PT 3 speciman.  The green speciman began to form pods earlier and the pods are all green also.  The green plant has no purple ribbing or purple stalks or any hints of purple.  The Purple plant has its own style of pod  and its got hints of purple on the pods.
Both plants are very vigorous and getting real big.  Plants are full and at least 36 inches tall and really beginning to set fruit well.  Oh, I forgot to mention.  The all green plant has nice big fat blooms with thick peduncle.  The purple PT3 plant has small delicate blooms with skinny peduncle. 

I also have a PT mystery plant that is solo in a big pot and its really getting some size.  Its just now beginning to set fruit but its the most beautiful plant I have and its just super loaded with flowers just everywhere. 

I am seeing some fine seedlings and young plants on the blog.  Keep em coming.

Thanks Glen,

Here's a PT3 in the dirt:

80.jpg

I'd have to go look at the one in the container, but I don't think it has any pods yet, it is loaded up with flowers. I had all the TripPaul Threat and Purple Thunder plants under both a T5 and a LED, they were all very dark until I put them outside. They were put outside about 3 weeks ago and for the most part it has been rather cloudy so they lost their tan ;)

Devv said:
Thanks Glen,

Here's a PT3 in the dirt:

80.jpg

I'd have to go look at the one in the container, but I don't think it has any pods yet, it is loaded up with flowers. I had all the TripPaul Threat and Purple Thunder plants under both a T5 and a LED, they were all very dark until I put them outside. They were put outside about 3 weeks ago and for the most part it has been rather cloudy so they lost their tan ;)
Devv, that plant looks identical to the PT3 purple specimen I have growing.  The pods look pretty close to what I am seeing here as well.  There is slight variation.  The pods are fairly smooth and have purple shading hints.  My PT3 Green specimen has entirely different style of pods.  They are green and are more bumpy and evil looking.  I think that the variation is fascinating.  I will be saving seed from all my plants also just for fun.  Oh, I have other plants that start out with dark purple pods.  Devv, I expect your plants to really get big.  You are going to need staking soon.

lespaulde said:
This plant (Bjh-2) is showing some serious growth; just compare what happened over 1 week being brought out of the tent and onto a south facing window ledge:

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
That is pretty amazing, alright.

I like seeing the lateral branches starting to extend.

lespaulde said:
This plant (Bjh-2) is showing some serious growth; just compare what happened over 1 week being brought out of the tent and onto a south facing window ledge:

b9ec0ef7a20d8755958842c10a091554.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Beautiful young purple plants!!!  The indoor grown seedlings seem to be so much more purple!!!  Good job.  If you eventually get those baby's into large 10 gallon pots they will be monstrous!!

Mine are small, but they're in good shape.

This BJh-2 is doing the best so far.

rW85j2G.jpg

The next BJh-2 isn't quite as far along.  Until I split them out from my starter trays, this one was struggling to compete with some of it's bigger brothers.

pDRRZWt.jpg

Here's my BJh-Mystery seedlings.

X84bnRD.jpg

fhzpsDa.jpg

I can't wait to see how they handle our deep Southern heat.

Those should really dig your southern climate.
They handle the hot summer days here pretty
well. They also tolerate some of the cooler Fall
temperatures in good form.

All-in-all very vigorous and tolerant. Some nice
color on yours. Will be interesting to see if that
green Mystery colors up, or if it’s a variant.

Thanks for posting those.

DontPanic said:
Mine are small, but they're in good shape.

This BJh-2 is doing the best so far.

rW85j2G.jpg

The next BJh-2 isn't quite as far along.  Until I split them out from my starter trays, this one was struggling to compete with some of it's bigger brothers.

pDRRZWt.jpg

Here's my BJh-Mystery seedlings.

X84bnRD.jpg

fhzpsDa.jpg

I can't wait to see how they handle our deep Southern heat.
Those seedlings are very nice.  I see you have some greeny's.  I have a green PT 3.  In fact, my greeny already has ripening fruits and right now it looks like the fruits will be a citrus orange color.  Just beautiful.  Will you be planting those fella's in the ground or in Pots?  If you plant them in large pots they will get huge.  I have one PT mystery that is getting loaded with fruits.  Its a purple plant.  It is still growing and it looks like it will be a monster before its all over with.  Good luck with those and please keep posting foto's.

Today I harvested Purple Thunder ahi's!!!!!  First of the season.  I live in Panama so I was able to plant the seed Paul sent the same day I received it.  I planted at the end of December of 2019.  Plants are about 100 days old now.  I was able to harvest one PT 3, Three PT 3-green variant, and one PT mystery.  I also have PT 2 plants that are just now forming pods.  All three types I harvested have their own unique look.  The PT 3 is very red in color but a unique shade of red.  Dark in color.  The PT 3 green plant variant has bubble gum red or mandarin red colored pods.  The Mystery plant has yellowish colored pods.  I saved seeds from all pods.  The mystery plant had the biggest pod but the least amount of seed.  The PT 3 green variant had the most seeds in each pod-about 20 to 24 seeds.  Pods are all very thin walled and also imediately begin to sweat when you slice them open which means they are nice juicy thin walled pods.  I sliced off a very thin piece, about the thickness of a toothepick and tasted it(from a PT 3-green version, pod).  There is no sweet, juicy fruity taste to speak of.  Its a chili taste.  The heat is neglible for the first few moments.  Then, out of no where someone brings out a sledge hammer and gave me a cheap shot!  I mean the heat just hit me hard.  I am a noob and was nervous so I only tasted a small piece.  I would say that the heat is orders of magnitude much hotter than a Panamanian Chombo or a Paper Lantern.  I immediately got the hiccups also.  I promise, I won't be gobbling any large pieces any time soon.  Anyways, after saving all the seed I thru all five peppers into the food processor along with about 8 milder red chili's and chopped em up along with a little apple vinegar, salt, sugar.  I made a chili paste out of it.  I plan to use it along with some of my other milder chili pastes to bring the heat up.  Oh, I also plan to plant the seed I harvested today-tomorrow!!  I live in Panama so why not?  I can grow chili's all year.  The seed I have now is f5 seed.  In 4 more months I will have f6 seed.  It won't be long and that seed will be fully stabilized.  Happy Easter!!!

Ok, Good Afternoon to everyone who is participating in the Purple Thunder Community grow.  I can't post foto's yet but I do have this link to offer so you can go to my grow log on a different forum.  There is recent foto's.

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial?page=3

I started the grow Last December towards the end of the month so I ahead of most everyone I do believe.  I live in Panama.  All plants are 5 feet tall now and producing nicely.  I planted 2 plants in each 10 gallon pot using yard dirt only. 

The variant's were numbered so I have kept the numbers and just call the plants PT plus the number.   PT is for Purple Thunder.

There are 2 PT 3's in the first pot.  One speciman is all green.
There is 1 PT mystery in the second pot
There is 2 PT 2's in the third pot.

All plants are bearing pods.  In my opinion the PT 3 all purple speciman is the most desireable.  It has the biggest pods.  The best looking pods.  And, the most big pods.  Pods are a very nice dark blood red and are marbled with other colors.

Ok, the plants are at least 5 feet tall.  Bushy.  Full of pods.  So far, a nice success.

I harvested pods from 3 of the specimans about 9 days ago.  PaulG tells me that that the original seed was f4.  I immediately planted the saved seed from these specimans.  

They are germinating now!!!  Believe it or not, fresh seed, undried or uncured, germinates readily most of the time.
So, with some luck I will have 6 growing PT F6 specimans growing very soon.  I planted 4 seeds in each one liter starter pot so I will be selecting the best seedling for transfer to their main home later in about a month.  There will be 2 PT 3 purple color, 2 PT 3 all green color,  2 PT mystery's,

The plan is to plant one PT Plant in each 10 gallon pot.  I will continue to use yard dirt however this time I have compost to add to the pots.  Compost is very hard to find right now but today a miracle happened and I was able to buy 300 lbs of bagged commercial composted wood shavings.  I will add about 10 lbs of that compost to each pot before transplanting the seedlings.

The only thing I am worried about is that the rainy season starts in May.  This is going to be a real test for Purple Thunder.  Can they whether the storm?  The desease?  The fungal issues?  The lack of sun?

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Back