• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Glen_ said:
Ok, Good Afternoon to everyone who is participating in the Purple Thunder Community grow.  I can't post foto's yet but I do have this link to offer so you can go to my grow log on a different forum.  There is recent foto's.

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial?page=3

I started the grow Last December towards the end of the month so I ahead of most everyone I do believe.  I live in Panama.  All plants are 5 feet tall now and producing nicely.  I planted 2 plants in each 10 gallon pot using yard dirt only. 

The variant's were numbered so I have kept the numbers and just call the plants PT plus the number.   PT is for Purple Thunder.

There are 2 PT 3's in the first pot.  One speciman is all green.
There is 1 PT mystery in the second pot
There is 2 PT 2's in the third pot.

All plants are bearing pods.  In my opinion the PT 3 all purple speciman is the most desireable.  It has the biggest pods.  The best looking pods.  And, the most big pods.  Pods are a very nice dark blood red and are marbled with other colors.

Ok, the plants are at least 5 feet tall.  Bushy.  Full of pods.  So far, a nice success.

I harvested pods from 3 of the specimans about 9 days ago.  PaulG tells me that that the original seed was f4.  I immediately planted the saved seed from these specimans.  

They are germinating now!!!  Believe it or not, fresh seed, undried or uncured, germinates readily most of the time.
So, with some luck I will have 6 growing PT F6 specimans growing very soon.  I planted 4 seeds in each one liter starter pot so I will be selecting the best seedling for transfer to their main home later in about a month.  There will be 2 PT 3 purple color, 2 PT 3 all green color,  2 PT mystery's,

The plan is to plant one PT Plant in each 10 gallon pot.  I will continue to use yard dirt however this time I have compost to add to the pots.  Compost is very hard to find right now but today a miracle happened and I was able to buy 300 lbs of bagged commercial composted wood shavings.  I will add about 10 lbs of that compost to each pot before transplanting the seedlings.

The only thing I am worried about is that the rainy season starts in May.  This is going to be a real test for Purple Thunder.  Can they whether the storm?  The desease?  The fungal issues?  The lack of sun?

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Those plants look great and lots of pods too. When did you plant seeds? December 2019??

PTMD989-As far as the rain goes.  No, its mostly just constant cloud coverage like living in a nuclear winter.  The rain comes and goes and can come at any time of the day or night.  I would say that rarely we get thunder and lightning.

Mr Joe- the seeds were planted towards the end of December.  Plants are roughly 120 days old now.  I also planted other super-hots at the end of January.   Temps were even higher when those seeds were planted.  Those plants are no where near as nice.  

This is my first time growing the super-hot peppers.  I am real curious about what the life cycle looks like in a tropical climate and how the plants do during the different months of the year.  I want to know how long the adult plants will stay alive and see how long the plants will continue to produce fruits.

So much experimentation still needs to be done.

I am very impressed with the Purple Thunder.  They can set fruit in very high temperatures.  My temps are 93-95 F in the afternoons.  Its 130 am and my desk thermometer shows 84 degrees F.  Not all chili peppers can tolerate those kinds of temps.  Purple Thunder has an enormous amount of blooms also so blossom drop doesn't hurt chili production.  I have had to shade the plants now to protect the fruits as they get blistered and the foliage gets damaged if I don't.   Watering is twice per day sometimes.

Quality of the chili's seems to be good although I am certainly no expert.  Very attractive and great flavor.

Well done Mr. Glen!

None of my plants have that totally green pod pheno. I should have some pics posted soon, I first have to finish my shade cloth endeavor.
I have a #2 plant in the dirt that has really dark pods. I think we'll being seeing them all over the map color-wise, unless we isolate and continue growing each pheno in seclusion.

That’s right, Scott. There was quite a bit of
variation last season. That’s why I wanted lots
of people growing them this season! I’m only
growing the BJh-2, so will be super interested
in what others come up with.

Inoks said:
Sorry for asking in this thread, but what do most of you put in those cans. what Soil/medium
For my grow I am using plain yard dirt.  Its all I had.

If you go to youtube and look up Bhut Jolokia you can find video's of Indian growers.  Many are growing right in the plain dirt.
Its all they have in most cases.  Sometimes they add organic material to the soil if they have it.

Bhut Jolokia comes from humble circumstances.

Dev, your plants look pretty fantastic.  Just so you know, I think thats a good idea to name the green specimans Green Thunder and then whatever variant it comes from.  Mine will hence forth be named Green Thunder number 3.  I suppose yours will be called Green Thunder mystery.  I noticed that your green Thunder mystery has purplish stems?  Mine is totally green, stems, leaves, pods.  

I think the name Purple Thunder should be kept.
The variants can be named as Purple Thunder v Yellow
or Purple Thunder v Orange, etc., if the pods are not purple
shaded red/orange in color, which seems the most
common, at least in last year's grow.

The BJh-2, etc. were my way of keeping my pods linked
to a particular plant, so are really just a lineage thing. 

Your pods pics are stunning, Scott! Really great job of
growing those out!

PaulG said:
I think the name Purple Thunder should be kept.
The variants can be named as Purple Thunder v Yellow
or Purple Thunder v Orange, etc., if the pods are not purple
shaded red/orange in color, which seems the most
common, at least in last year's grow.

The BJh-2, etc. were my way of keeping my pods linked
to a particular plant, so are really just a lineage thing. 

Your pods pics are stunning, Scott! Really great job of
growing those out!
Thanks Paul!

I just keep em watered....BTW...

170.jpg

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
So I’m officially in the grow my friend, seeds received today. Many thanks Paul for the hookup, seeds a soaking tonight and AG seed start tomotto. You’re an awesome dude and I save all your love notes  :rofl:  :scared:

Glad to hear that the seeds arrived so quickly.
I hope the AeroGarden gets them up and grow-
ing really soon, Bobby! Welcome to the club, and
good luck with them!

The foliage on that one is almost black! Beautiful plant Paul. Today was the start of dirt day here I still have some more to go. I planted my thunders together and then realized i had another one that was much more green, a bit mad at myself because that one is going into a different row now. My lack of organizational skills really shows at times like this. Unfortunately I have a few nice looking plants that just won't make tube cut this year, maybe I'll try a few containers...

Mr.joe said:
The foliage on that one is almost black! Beautiful plant Paul. Today was the start of dirt day here I still have some more to go. I planted my thunders together and then realized i had another one that was much more green, a bit mad at myself because that one is going into a different row now. My lack of organizational skills really shows at times like this. Unfortunately I have a few nice looking plants that just won't make tube cut this year, maybe I'll try a few containers...

Thanks, Joe. Nice to hear that you are able
to start planting out. I hate to see you not
grow the nice plants you have left over.

Containers, it is  :party: my friend!

Back