• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Devv said:
Thunder Struck!

That happens to be my ring tone. I haven't picked up the guitar as much as I should lately. Try and play the intro with just one hand. My fingers aren't strong enough..BUT, they have the amps @ 110% :drunk:

You should be good!

When I say I have a short season, it's because once the heat hits the pollination drops way down. Here it ends (the season) around mid June. That or water them every day in 95-105° until mid September.
And maybe get a good haul, last year...uh no. So I'm not playing that game anymore unless the plants show me the money :D

219.jpg

Poor pic, Top row, Thunder 3, Thunder 2. Bottom row Thunder Mystery from 2 plants...

You oughta check out Steve N Seagulls version, my fingers cramp up just watching the banjo player. I guess why that’s why I’m just an old roadie [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Thunder Struck!

That happens to be my ring tone. I haven't picked up the guitar as much as I should lately. Try and play the intro with just one hand. My fingers aren't strong enough..BUT, they have the amps @ 110% :drunk:  It's no picnic trying to speed pick every note versus using pull-offs either!   :mad: 

Poor pic, Top row, Thunder 3, Thunder 2. Bottom row Thunder Mystery from 2 plants...

Paul sent me the BJh-3 along with the -2 and Mystery (thanks Paul!) and when I see pods like yours and Glen_'s I'm kicking myself for not growing that one too.  The caramel/yellow look of the pods is really cool.  Guess that will go on the list for next year. 

Do you have a favorite for flavor?

I have been mixing them up in recipes so I don't know which pepper tastes the best.

One thing I learned about this variety is that they sprawl.  The plants do not really have good supportive stems and need plenty of support.  Plants get really huge and need some sort of support system to hold them up.  My plants were originally supported using only one rebar support stake.  I thought the stakes were long enough but they were only about 4 feet.  My plants have not stopped growing and they are way over my head now growing in 12 inch tall  10 gallon pots.  We have started getting rain which has pushed the plants over under the wieght of the rain.  Some branches that were completly loaded with green pods have broken.  The only solution I could think of was to use twine tied to one of my windows to wrap back and forth around all the plants to try and hold them back up.  It looks terrible but I am in a bind and could think of no other solution.  Obviously, a much better plan for supporting these chili monstrosity's is needed.  The plants get so over-loaded with pods and the plants get so huge that I think concrete reinforcing wire, if you could get it would be the best solution.  

Purple Thunder is the biggest Pepper plant I have ever seen.

While I was out there I picked another gallon bag of ripe pods.  Plants are still loaded with greeny's.

CaneDog said:

Paul sent me the BJh-3 along with the -2 and Mystery (thanks Paul!) and when I see pods like yours and Glen_'s I'm kicking myself for not growing that one too.  The caramel/yellow look of the pods is really cool.  Guess that will go on the list for next year. 

Do you have a favorite for flavor?
I made a basic sauce and dried a bunch. I haven't tried them directly as in a taste test...I think I'm screered now..

223.jpg

Thunder Mystery. I've yet to pull a ripe pod from this plant. Curious to see what color I get.
It out of 6 plants seems to sun-scald the most.

229.jpg

Thunder2 pod, just turning.

233.jpg

Thunder Mystery, in the dirt. Plant has green leaves, and a purple stem.

237.jpg

Thunder2 in the dirt. These pods get a wild color scheme. It's the top left in the pic above, from a previous post, but the pic sucks doesn't show the true colors.

That first shot is killer, Scott! Those pods
should ripen to a nice red-orange with purple
shading if they grow true to last season's form.

You and Glenn are setting a pretty high bar, buddy!

Devv, you really knocked it out of the park with those foto's.  Thanx for sharing.  Don't worry you will enjoy tasting those pods also.  Mine have a very spicey peppery taste without the heavy fruity thing going on.  They are excellent.  Yes, they are super-hot.

Today I repotted 6 more seedlings in 10 gallon pots.  Purple Thunder trials continue.

Glen_ said:
Devv, you really knocked it out of the park with those foto's.  Thanx for sharing.  Don't worry you will enjoy tasting those pods also.  Mine have a very spicey peppery taste without the heavy fruity thing going on.  They are excellent.  Yes, they are super-hot.

Today I repotted 6 more seedlings in 10 gallon pots.  Purple Thunder trials continue.
Thanks Glen!

Here's today's pull minus a giveaway I did yesterday..

242.jpg

2 top rows: Mysteries from 2 plants. I didn't get many good yellow pods, the bugs got them.
Third row: Thunder 2 (upside down). These are the really dark purple pods when young.
Bottom row: Thunder 3

Devv said:
Thanks Glen!

Here's today's pull minus a giveaway I did yesterday..

2 top rows: Mysteries from 2 plants. I didn't get many good yellow pods, the bugs got them.
Third row: Thunder 2 (upside down). These are the really dark purple pods when young.
Bottom row: Thunder 3
Nice plate full of pods, Scott! There’s some heat in there
for ya! Really like those colors, especially the yellow. That
color must come from the Bonda Ma Jacques in the PdN
x Bonda part of the cross.

Back