• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
BaVpFfW.jpg

6wX4IkT.jpg

First photo is f5 mystery pods.  These are the first pods so they are huge.  They look just like the parent plant.  

Second foto shows different variant fruits.  Top row is lava red PJH 3.
Yellow lava reddish PJH3 in the middle.
Orange red PJH3 from an all green plant.  No purple on this version.  Parent plant was all green as well.  

Second row is the mystery pods f5 planting.  Huge pods.  Not as shiny as PJH3.  

I have also just planted f6 PJH 3 yellow lava red and they are germinating now.

Today, some new mystery pods ripened.  They have come in a few weeks later than the PJH3.  There are 2 mystery plants.  Paul calls the dark color lava red.  I call it caramel.  There is lots of caramel on some of these pods.  Pods are a little over 3 inches long.  They are very large pods.  

Ok, these pods come from my second grow.  F5.

8C51uJ9.jpg

UahMcB7.jpg

Glen_ said:
Today, some new mystery pods ripened.  They have come in a few weeks later than the PJH3.  There are 2 mystery plants.  Paul calls the dark color lava red.  I call it caramel.  There is lots of caramel on some of these pods.  Pods are a little over 3 inches long.  They are very large pods.  

Ok, these pods come from my second grow.  F5.

I am okay with caramel, Glen  :rofl:

Those are some awesomely beautiful pods,
whatever the color, my friend!

Last season, the BJh-3 produced blocky
orange pods, and the BJh-2 threw the
yellow ones with the caramel shading.
the Mystery were mostly all red-orange
with shading.

PtMD989 said:
Those are some beautiful pods [emoji106][emoji16].
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Glen is killin’ it this year down in Panama  :flamethrower:

This is what I am doing with my Purple Thunder pods.
ikZDqrs.jpg

This is todays harvest.
EJoAKA3.jpg

Pods were split and deseeded.  
8iDSoLj.jpg

Pods chopped up with one of those little electric food processors.  A little white vinegar was added to get them to chop up easier.
Once all the peppers were chopped up I added 2 tsp of salt plus a little sugar.
HwoxE3g.jpg

I added a little more vinegar and heated up this mixture on the stove for about 10 minutes.  It boiled for a couple of minutes.
It is still on the stove cooling down.  Once cooled I will jar this up and put it in the fridge.  I can also freeze this by just bagging it up in a zip lock bag.  I spoon this chili relish on rice or in soups or stews or use it as a table condiment.  Yes, its spicey.  

Nice and simple, Glen. that's my style!

I have shied away from sauces and such
because they seem like such a hassle.

That looks great. I'll bet a little spoon goes
a long way!

Thanks, buddy!

Paul, I agree 100%.  When you have a huge pepper harvest it is just too much trouble to make complicated pepper recipes.   The peppers don't come in all at the same time.  So, the average person isn't going to want to mess with them too often.  A simple recipe is needed.  This recipe is just vinegar and Purple Thunder peppers.  No other flavor is needed in the recipe because the peppers stand on their own.  You can freeze this recipe in smaller containers and use when needed also.  Yes, a little goes a long way.  I love the flavor of this pepper so it is a good recipe for me.  It's not for everyone though because it is on the warm side.  You are right, a little goes a long way.  If you have a nice bowl of chili a teaspoon of this stuff added at the table will do the trick.

Hi,

Took me a while to post about this the BJh2 that Paul kindly sent me, but turns out this thing is a monster!

I gave it a 55L (14.5 US gallon) bucket and it just loves it. Its the biggest plant i've ever had!

In comparassing ive put the blossoming Trippaul Threat (that i sowed way too late) next to it.

I also took the liberty to cross it with a sweet cayenne, that'll hopefully make it to maturity now the season is almost coming to an end!

Paul, I'd be glad to send you back some pure or crossed seeds!

Thomas

Attachments

• 20200904_172235.jpg
    20200904_172235.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200824_152457.jpg
    20200824_152457.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200824_153111.jpg
    20200824_153111.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 64
That is an awesome pod, TD. A real beauty, All right.

Thanks for giving the Purple Thunder a chance this season!

PaulG said:
I am okay with caramel, Glen  :rofl:

Those are some awesomely beautiful pods,
whatever the color, my friend!

Last season, the BJh-3 produced blocky
orange pods, and the BJh-2 threw the
yellow ones with the caramel shading.
the Mystery were mostly all red-orange
with shading.
My mysteries almost appear as if they will be red/orange once ripe, but then eventually show bright yellow under that purple/caramel splotching 

The mystery plant seems to be the most popular.  Maybe its the shape?  I have 2 f5 mystery plants outside now and they are covered over with ripe pods.  However, they are later to produce then PJH3 by about 3 weeks.  The plants are not as large as PJH3 either.  But, the plants are beautiful and really do produce a lot of blooms and pods.  Pods get large too.  I had not planned on replanting the mystery again but I probably should rethink this out.  I have a PJH3 variety that makes really blocky pods of the same color and I did start another grow already with that color.  My personal opinion is that the blocky PJH3 pods are easier to split and deseed than the mystery pods, which are thinner.  PJH3 also produces more seed per pod.  PJH3 is earlier and the plants are more vigorous.  Just my observations.   My mystery plants are covered over with ripe pods, unripened pods and also blooms now and will produce for months so mystery is definitely awsesome.  Oh, the flavor and heat of the pods is pretty much equal over-all with the exception of the all green PJH3 pods which ripen basic orange.  Those are hotter and more flavorful than any of the other variety's.  Pods are huge and plants are early and vigorous.  They just don't have the purple trait.

Walchit said:
I have two plants, one with red pods, one with a purple blush on a red pod. My brother in law said that him and his buddy took little bites and it destroyed them
They are fairly hot    :twisted:   :rofl:

Back