• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
I love the multi-coloured nature of these pods. It's what drew me to the PT in the first place and why I asked Paul for seeds.

But these are damn hot! I chopped one onto a pizza and I initially thought is was manageable but it wasn't. I suffered for a bit. I think these will be great to add some kick to a sauce. I'm not 100% sure since I was on fire but I think I detected some earthiness to the taste so they would go nicely with some savory ingredients.

PtMD989 said:
Here is my Purple Thunder BJH mystery from F3 seed
774e7d058a7d96023c262418532de2c0.jpg

It goes from red to orange to green [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those pods look great.  Beautiful pods.  Color is nice also.  I have the BJH mystery f4 generation which is a golden yellow or caramel color on the sunny side.   I also have f5 generation but no pods are ripe yet so I don't know what color they are going to be.  And, yes, they are spicey.  I had never grown or even tasted super hot peppers until this year.  I have been eating them every day for months.  They are addicting.  I have lost interest in the less spicey peppers I have growing in the yard.  From now on I will be eating super hot peppers!!  Purple Thunder is a very intense spicy hot pepper.  They command respect.  I am very happy with this variety.

IIxYYDj.jpg

kMDXzi3.jpg

xGtAywc.jpg

WigJHMi.jpg

Rw7Ona1.jpg

These photo's were taken today of the pods on my F5 PJH 3 plant.  I have two specimans but this particular speciman is special.  The plant is covered over with giant dark in color purple pods.  I placed regular sized clothes pin in the photo's to try and give perspective.  This plant is my prized plant and is going to be the future for me.  Pods should ripen a nice dark blood red and they are very large pods.  I also have 2-F5-all green- PJH 3 variants specimans one of which is absolutely covered over in very large pods.  The purple colored plants are much more ornamental.  Flavor and productivity and size of fruit is pretty much the same.  So, I plan to grow all purple F6 generation PJH 3 plants next time using seed from these giant dark beautiful pods.  This plant has everything I want in a superhot pepper.  Big blocky pods.  Good production.  Good flavor.  And, its got the tropical look I want.  The more times this variety is grown out the better its going to get.

Glen_ said:
These photo's were taken today of the pods on my F5 PJH 3 plant.  I have two specimans but this particular speciman is special.  The plant is covered over with giant dark in color purple pods.  I placed regular sized clothes pin in the photo's to try and give perspective.  This plant is my prized plant and is going to be the future for me.  Pods should ripen a nice dark blood red and they are very large pods.  I also have 2-F5-all green- PJH 3 variants specimans one of which is absolutely covered over in very large pods.  The purple colored plants are much more ornamental.  Flavor and productivity and size of fruit is pretty much the same.  So, I plan to grow all purple F6 generation PJH 3 plants next time using seed from these giant dark beautiful pods.  This plant has everything I want in a superhot pepper.  Big blocky pods.  Good production.  Good flavor.  And, its got the tropical look I want.  The more times this variety is grown out the better its going to get.
Nice report, Glen. It looks like the Purple Thunder has
found a real home in Panama!

Only two of my purple thunders have actually set pods. I think (hope) after the weather cools off in September the plants will start loading up, then it will be a rush to get ripe pods before a freeze kills everything. I do have a couple of small pods so I should at least get a taste test.

This plant definitely likes to grow tall (Bjh-2), with a handful of pods growing:

d5b29557dca004628f517f437920d500.jpg

it's even putting my Aji Amarillo to shame which is my 2nd tallest plant! ;)

de4db6567e6661810a3d12cab3632d0c.jpg

I think I will overwinter it to get some real production next year hopefully. Still, should be able to collect some pods to last me the winter.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mr.joe said:
Only two of my purple thunders have actually set pods. I think (hope) after the weather cools off in September the plants will start loading up, then it will be a rush to get ripe pods before a freeze kills everything. I do have a couple of small pods so I should at least get a taste test.
We are in the same boat, Joe!

Everything seems a minute late this season  :rofl:

lespaulde said:
This plant definitely likes to grow tall (Bjh-2), with a handful of pods growing:

Woah, that is one tall plant, my friend!
Pretty impressive to outgrow an Aji Amarillo!

it's even putting my Aji Amarillo to shame which is my 2nd tallest plant! ;)

I think I will overwinter it to get some real production next year hopefully. Still, should be able to collect some pods to last me the winter.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Typical growth habit, tall and lanky, LP.
Looks like some decent pods on that.

Welp, I tried my first BJH F4 ripe “mystery “pod today. It is awesome , first bite was the point, good heat and great flavor [emoji106]. Moved up the pod and got some placenta and seeds and definitely more heat[emoji16]. The heat dissipates pretty quickly [emoji16]. It doesn’t have a overpowering Chinese funk taste [emoji106]. It will clear out your sinuses for sure [emoji16][emoji106].
Thanks Paul [emoji16][emoji106] you have a winner with this creation [emoji16][emoji106].
Can’t wait till I get pods off my purple leaf plant [emoji16].

Mr.joe said:
First of very few pt pods for me. I'll bring to work tomorrow for some sampling with co workers. Most of my pt plants have lots of flowers, I'm hoping more pods coming soon.
Once they start setting pods, the race is on, Joe.
With your weather, you should be harvesting some
nice pods.

The salmon color on that one is just awesome. How
ripe is it?Do you remember which variety I sent you?

Sorry for the 20 questions!

PtMD989 said:
Welp, I tried my first BJH F4 ripe “mystery “pod today. It is awesome , first bite was the point, good heat and great flavor [emoji106]. Moved up the pod and got some placenta and seeds and definitely more heat[emoji16]. The heat dissipates pretty quickly [emoji16]. It doesn’t have a overpowering Chinese funk taste [emoji106]. It will clear out your sinuses for sure [emoji16][emoji106].
Thanks Paul [emoji16][emoji106] you have a winner with this creation [emoji16][emoji106].
Can’t wait till I get pods off my purple leaf plant [emoji16].

Great review, Bryan. I am glad you are in on the fun this season!

Was the pod on the red side, like last season? And gnarly as heck?

I believe that one is a 3? I would have to check my map when I return home. I think it's pretty ripe, but only been that color for about two days.

Mr.joe said:
I believe that one is a 3? I would have to check my map when I return home. I think it's pretty ripe, but only been that color for about two days.
Thanks, Joe. The BJh-3 had blocky orange and caramel
pods last year. One of my favorite plants. I need to judge
ripeness by feel with these plants until I see what an actual
ripe color looks like!

Red and Gnarly [emoji16][emoji106]. Looked like a RedHot Fire Poker [emoji16][emoji106]. It wasn’t as overwhelming as I thought it might be [emoji106][emoji16]. Couldn’t get anybody at work to try it [emoji1787]. The burn didn’t last as long as a Habanero.

PaulG said:
Geez, Guru, those pods look like flowing lava!
These were labeled "BJ-h Mystery" I believe. Were they F4? I can't remember. 

There was an all green foliage and pod pheno that I culled from this batch though. I kept the ones I thought were right. 

These are the all purple/black leaves and stems, with green purple undersides. Fruit start PURPLE PURPLE and then get some green, and then MOLTEN LAVA begins forming at the top near the calyx and draining down the sides of the pepper. Taking most of the red/purple away and leaving only tinges of the purple/red as yellow begins forming underneath it all. 

HOT AS HELL

50185001583_541023050c_b.jpg

50185001623_5346359932_b.jpg

50185545636_70484d1150_b.jpg

Back