• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
dragonsfire said:
very nice looking pepper :)

Glen_ said:
That pepper is monstrous.  Save seed from that one!!  Looks like a mystery pepper to me.  Huge.

Right?! So very grateful for Paul's generosity in sharing them with me and allowing me to grow them. It's been a rough year for me, but these make up for it! All the colors you could ever ask for at certain stages with this one. 

Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Purple Thunder

50228731218_9c5d0876bd_c.jpg

I tried to make a sauce with these. 225g of peppers into approximately a gallon of sauce. I tried a quarter teaspoon and while the burn was severe I had very painful stomach cramps - never experienced this before. I was worried for a minute. Ate a big tub of yoghurt and the pain has stopped but the farting has started. I'm probably going to have to dilute this 4:1 to get something that's not crazy.

Pretty peppers but violent!

50229374991_0e4c6ce52a_c.jpg

50229375011_9fbd4d0f36_c.jpg

Those pods are just beautiful!!  I hope you enjoy whatever recipes you make with them!!   

Purple Thunder is a very spicey pepper.  I grew Bhut Jolokia also this season and I do believe Purple Thunder can compete with them.  I have been eating them for months now and just love em.

It probably going to take a few re-grows to stabilize the color but the quality of the pods is excellent.

Siv said:
Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Purple Thunder

I tried to make a sauce with these. 225g of peppers into approximately a gallon of sauce. I tried a quarter teaspoon and while the burn was severe I had very painful stomach cramps - never experienced this before. I was worried for a minute. Ate a big tub of yoghurt and the pain has stopped but the farting has started. I'm probably going to have to dilute this 4:1 to get something that's not crazy.

Pretty peppers but violent!
That is quite a platter o’ pain, Siv.

Really great colors!

PtMD989 said:
Now I know why it’s called Mystery, first plant gave me red pods, second plant is giving me Hemi Orange pods. Third plant is just now putting on buds [emoji848].
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both colors are beautiful, Bryan.

Really nice phenotypes!

Pepper-Guru said:
Right?! So very grateful for Paul's generosity in sharing them with me and allowing me to grow them. It's been a rough year for me, but these make up for it! All the colors you could ever ask for at certain stages with this one. 
Pleasure is all mine, brother. 

Glad it is helping ease the pain.

Until you eat one, that is     :mouthonfire:        :twisted:

rsvUcmK.jpg

These pods come from my F5 plants.  They are PJH 3.  There are 2 plants.  One has lava red pods.  The other has the yellow-lava red color.  

I am getting ready to plant 8 more plants using seed from the yellow-lava red pods on the lower row.  The parent plant for these pods is the most vigorous of the two.  I counted over 80 pods on the plant.  The parent plant for the lava red plant has over 50 pods and is not as vigorous of a plant.

The pods are large.  The clothes pin is 3 inches long.

I will try to use seeds from the biggest and prettiest pod for this next generation which will be F6.

PJH 3 has been producing huge blocky pods of the finest quality.

:party:   Those are beauties, Glen. I hope you are saving me
a few seeds from each pod type and generation  ;)

A little late to the party but got a few to show off. These are from the Mystery plants. One a little darker than the other. None from the BT-2 Yellow plants but those are flowering like crazy. Weather is starting to cool down a bit here in Texas.
e6fbf0cc410449fc5b26b08cba35d675.jpg

rickvm said:
A little late to the party but got a few to show off. These are from the Mystery plants. One a little darker than the other. None from the BT-2 Yellow plants but those are flowering like crazy. Weather is starting to cool down a bit here in Texas.

Just wow, Rick! Those pods are awesome in every way!
So perfect they look like they were carved from wax!

Mr.joe said:
First bj3 off of this plant. The color is beautiful
The BJh3 is really living up to expectations, Joe. Good
work bringing those pods into the world! The yellow color
with slight purple/caramel shading looks like candy!

CraftyFox said:
Perfect name! Wow are those some sweet looking fruits! How hot are they?
Its hard to say how hot they are.  I would say typical Bhut Jolokia heat.  The lava red is spicier than the yellow lava red.  They are thin walled.  They are very ornamental.  There is a third PJH 3 variant plant that is all green with orange/red colored pods that is juicier and spicier but the plant is not ornamental like the purple variants.  All have peppery flavor-sometimes an initial earthy flavor with heat that builds.  If you aren't used to them they can make you hiccup.  For me they are hot enough.  When you eat them all the time it's becomes hard to say how hot they are because you get used to them.

Mr.joe said:
I've had very poor production from my pt plants, but they are decent sized and absolutely loaded with flowers so I still have hopes. I think when the weather cools down a bit i should get some pods loading up.
Sorry to hear that, Joe.

My own plants have only been setting pods
in any quantity since mid-end of July.
Oddly enough, the major pod setting happened
once the really hot weather got here.

Now they are all loaded with nice sized pods,
but with perhaps not enough ripening time/weather
left here in PNW. Time will tell!

I hear ya. My plants love to start setting pods at the end of the season. Either way I always have more than I need. I still haven't given up hope on a big purple thunder harvest. This week we are barely hitting triple digits so maybe they will kick into gear

Back