• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx Paul!  I have a feeling that making hot sauce out of pure Purple Thunder peppers would be a tad spicey for most of us.  Well, probably not for the members of this forum.  The hottest pepper I have ever tried is Yellow Scotch Bonnet peppers from Jamaica.  Those aren't super hots but they are tasty.  Panama has tasty hot peppers also.  No super hot peppers.  What is your opinion of the taste and heat of Purple Thunder peppers?  

PaulG said:
Thanks for that, Bernd. 

I hope you are interested in some of these
Purple Thunder seeds for next season.

Always glad chime in where I can!

Of course I'm interested! This looks to be the next stunner. Any idea which direction the cross is taking? It looks like there's still some decent amount of variation!

Glen_ said:
I looked at the foto.  The peppers do look a little similar but they are not the same pepper.  Thanx for viewing the foto's of it.  There are several variety's shown on that thread where the sweet pepper is.  They are all just called little sweet peppers where I live.  I believe there are many different variety's of sweet ahi that can be found in different markets all over the Latino world.  I like this new variety of ajicito because it is large enough to handle easily in the kitchen.  Just cut em in half quickly and scoop the seeds etc out and chop em up.  Actually, all the sweet little peppers I have tried are pretty good.  They all seem to look like C Chinense peppers when you grow them out.  You know, the wrinkly leaves with the short wide leaf.  I haven't tried it yet but I plan to use these types of peppers as fillers in hot sauce.  That will require a little experimentation yet.

Yeah, once I put them side by side, the difference is quite visible. They do look kinda similar though and I wouldn't be surprised if the flavour would be comparabe as well.

b3rnd said:

Always glad chime in where I can!

Of course I'm interested! This looks to be the next stunner. Any idea which direction the cross is taking? It looks like there's still some decent amount of variation!

Yeah, once I put them side by side, the difference is quite visible. They do look kinda similar though and I wouldn't be surprised if the flavour would be comparabe as well.
I think you are right.  I have only tasted about 4 different sweet C Chinense peppers.  Some I tasted were floral.  Some were peppery tasting.  No heat.  No fruity flavor.  I am not so crazy about the floral flavored peppers but I would use them in the kitchen if I had them.  They are just easy to grow little peppers that you might find some use for.  To me, they are common peppers in my area.  If you can grow hot peppers, you can grow these little sweet peppers.  I think you could use some of these sweet peppers in fresh salads as well.  

Some Purple Thunder pix from the past week or so...

Hard to tell with the dark pods, but if you look, you
can see the plants all loaded up with similar pods:
334DC680-28AD-4ECC-AC0B-1F3BD9D0AC92.jpeg

Left to right, BJh-4, BJh-2, BJh-3.

PaulG said:
Some Purple Thunder pix from the past week or so...

Hard to tell with the dark pods, but if you look, you
can see the plants all loaded up with similar pods:
attachicon.gif
334DC680-28AD-4ECC-AC0B-1F3BD9D0AC92.jpeg
Left to right, BJh-4, BJh-2, BJh-3.
PaulG, I had to click on that photo to enlarge it to see all the pods on the plant.  That is pretty incredible how prolific the plants are!  The pots much be what?  10 gallon?  How old are those plants?  I may have to step up my game and start using much larger pots also.  Once you pick the pods do the plants continue to produce?

Thanks, Glen. It looks good so far.
I am hoping it has a good future.

dragonsfire said:
Realy Awesome Looking :)

Thanks, Neil, there are some nice variations in
the pod phenotypes.

Devv said:
I'll join in, just a beautiful plant Paul! :dance: :dance:
Alright, would not be a party without you along for the ride, Scott!

Back