• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta say, I find the BJh-Mystery pretty sexy! Very nice Paul.

Hey Paul! Awesome pods. Did the frost end up getting you?

Its supposed to get down to 34 tomorrow night here. I thought about getting some sheets out like gip to extend my harvest, assuming there will be decent weather after this cold night.

Fantastic looking pods Paul....it's going to be 49° here Sat in the AM...so they say. And it's 96° here now @ just before 5:30 PM. Crazy!

I would imagine mo-cold up your way.

DownRiver said:
Well Hells yeah, I'll give them a shot. :lol:

Alright, another victim

Walchit said:
Hey Paul! Awesome pods. Did the frost end up getting you?

Its supposed to get down to 34 tomorrow night here. I thought about getting some sheets out like gip to extend my harvest, assuming there will be decent weather after this cold night.
We have had several close calls, nights down to very
low 30s and even 28 degrees last night.

Have survived so far with no real damage. Some
plants are pretty droopy. Like the Costeño Amarillo.

Devv said:
Fantastic looking pods Paul....it's going to be 49° here Sat in the AM...so they say. And it's 96° here now @ just before 5:30 PM. Crazy!

I would imagine mo-cold up your way.
Yeah, but we are lucky so far. The upcoming
nights should be warmer, so more pods should
be forthcoming.

Paul, I scrolled up to see foto's of BJH-4 pictures.  They look like some kind of crazy caramel color.  I like it.  You would never confuse those peppers in a basket of Chombo's!

Will the just now ripening peppers in the above foto get that caramel color?

My next question is about crossing.  Will Purple thunder easily cross with Capsicum Chinense peppers?

What species of pepper does Purple Thunder belong to?

Just wondering.  

I have a nice Thai hot pepper growing now that I am having real good luck with.  The seed pack says its a frutescen.  I am thinking this Thai hot might not cross with Purple thunder which would be a plus.

With inter-species crosses we really don't know what species the new variety belongs to.

Glen_ said:
Paul, I scrolled up to see foto's of BJH-4 pictures.  They look like some kind of crazy caramel color.  I like it.  You would never confuse those peppers in a basket of Chombo's!

Will the just now ripening peppers in the above foto get that caramel color?

My next question is about crossing.  Will Purple thunder easily cross with Capsicum Chinense peppers?

What species of pepper does Purple Thunder belong to?

Just wondering.  

I have a nice Thai hot pepper growing now that I am having real good luck with.  The seed pack says its a frutescen.  I am thinking this Thai hot might not cross with Purple thunder which would be a plus.

With inter-species crosses we really don't know what species the new variety belongs to.
Hey Glen, here is a pic of some ripe BJh-4.

For a nice caramel color, check out the BJH-2!

Walchit said:
This is chinense x (chinense x annuum) right Paul? 75-25 chinense heavy lol. I think I remember reading that pdn was annuum.
You are right, Andy, if PdN is an annuum. 
I need to look that up. I don't think I have
ever run across its species nomenclature
before.

CaneDog said:
Since BJ's are interspecific C. chinense / C. frutescens and PdN is interspecific C. chinense / C. annuum, there should be a good mix in that there thunder pepper!

Whatever mix they are, they are hot mamas. My face
burns just deseeding and slicing for the dehydrator.
My eyelids and nostrils just get smoked!

Back