• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Random facts

elcap1999 said:
Corporate fact: When Apple won a copyright suit against Samsung totaling $1.05 billion, Samsung retaliated in kind by sending 30 trucks filled to capacity with nickels.

Corporate MYTH!  :P

21 billions nickels, at 5 grams each, boils down to 115,500 US tons.
Railroad hopper cars can carry 110 tons.  That's 1050 cars.
If a hopper is 50 feet long, the train will be nearly 10 MILES in length.

elcap1999 said:
Law fact: Several suburban police departments are hiring street artists to draw life-like chalk pictures of children playing on the street. From above, the pictures look obviously elongated, but from the perspective of a car in that lane, it looks like a child running out into the street to grab a ball that got away from them. This has had the effect of significantly lowering speeds in those areas and reducing accidents & pedestrian hit-and-runs.
Gotta wonder how many rear-end collisions these cause! 

Yeah, I just checked and the one about the nickels being used by Samsung is indeed false as backed up by Snopes, and is thusly stricken from the record.

As for the chalk drawings, I imagine more than a few lol

Technology fact: When Edison and Tesla were involved in their war to determine which method of electrical transmission (AC vs DC) was better, which was called "The War of the Currents", Edison went on a campaign to discredit AC power by taking various animals (stray animals taken off the street by children for $0.25 an animal and even an elephant in one case) to show the dangers of AC power by electrocuting them. He even convinced New York State to use AC power in their electric chair. But it was all in vain, as Tesla, and his financial backer, George Westinghouse, just let the technology of AC speak for itself, and eventually won out over Edison, whose DC power transmission required significantly larger cables as well as power generating stations approximately every 1-2 miles, making it impractical in large cities. AC, however, could have it's power generating station dozens of miles away with only a negligible loss in power.

Tesla barely made any money from this, since the War Of The Currents was so financially draining on Westinghouse. In a show of solidarity, rather than bankrupt the man (and company) backing him, Tesla tore up the contract he had signed with Westinghouse, insisting that better inventions were ahead. If he had forced Westinghouse to honor the contract, he would have received millions, but left Westinghouse in financial ruin.

FeistyParrot said:
I LOVE Useless facts!

Did you know that the placement of a donkey's eyes allows it to see all four feet at all times.
Yeah that's an odd one. Can you imagine like looking at both your feet and your butt cheeks at the same time. Lmao

elcap1999 said:
Technology fact: When Edison and Tesla were involved in their war to determine which method of electrical transmission (AC vs DC) was better, which was called "The War of the Currents", Edison went on a campaign to discredit AC power by taking various animals (stray animals taken off the street by children for $0.25 an animal and even an elephant in one case) to show the dangers of AC power by electrocuting them. He even convinced New York State to use AC power in their electric chair. But it was all in vain, as Tesla, and his financial backer, George Westinghouse, just let the technology of AC speak for itself, and eventually won out over Edison, whose DC power transmission required significantly larger cables as well as power generating stations approximately every 1-2 miles, making it impractical in large cities. AC, however, could have it's power generating station dozens of miles away with only a negligible loss in power.

Tesla barely made any money from this, since the War Of The Currents was so financially draining on Westinghouse. In a show of solidarity, rather than bankrupt the man (and company) backing him, Tesla tore up the contract he had signed with Westinghouse, insisting that better inventions were ahead. If he had forced Westinghouse to honor the contract, he would have received millions, but left Westinghouse in financial ruin.
This fact is amazing. Such a shame that Tesla didn't earn his money back then. At least he's well respected nowadays. At school a month ago, someone said they liked Edison more than Tesla. Never before has such fury been unleashed in one room as the time a group of math and science kids(myself included) declared him heretic and made him stand outside for about an hour and a half. Was really quite funny. I ended up getting the "rank" of Inquisitor General to find other people with his viewpoints. 

Now for my fun fact, about peppers this time: Due to the effects of chemical heat(I always forget how to spell the name), peppers release more endorphins than crack. This, combined with the fact that they reduce cancer, help prevent weight gain(NOTE:they do not help loose weight, only prevent from gaining more), help with appetite, and increase heart health as well as tolerance to natural heat, as opposed to crack's rather nasty side effects, peppers would be drug of choice if they just didn't burn so much.

Film fact: The famous scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford simply shoots the sword wielding man after he brandishes his sword was never in the script. The scene was envisioned to be considerably longer, where Indiana Jones uses his whip and ends up in a fist fight. However, Ford and several others in the cast and crew had a horrible case of dysentery, and he improvised that take on the spot just so he could go to the bathroom. Everyone loved the take so much they included it in the movie.

Hockey fact: In the late 1920's and early 1930's the Canadian National Hockey Team was so dominant that in the sport for the 1930 World Championships, quite literally the only thing they needed to do to get into the Finals match that year was show up. The tournament was only to determine Canada's opponent, and they were still beaten by Canada 6-1.

Consumer fact: On average, printer ink is approximately seven times more expensive than Dom Perignon vintage champagne. 

Medical fact: Statistically, of all the 206 bones in the human body, the only ones to consistently survive great falls unbroken are the bones of the inner ear.

elcap1999 said:
Yeah, I just checked and the one about the nickels being used by Samsung is indeed false as backed up by Snopes, and is thusly stricken from the record.

As for the chalk drawings, I imagine more than a few lol

You got me thinking (always dangerous).
The US mint produced a little over a billion 5 cent pieces last year, and even fewer in the preceding seasons.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=productionFigures&allCoinsYear=2013&reportSelected#starthere&CFID=33178949&CFTOKEN=68295913

I'd be slightly surprised if there are 21 billion nickels in active circulation.
elcap1999 said:
Medical fact: Statistically, of all the 206 bones in the human body, the only ones to consistently survive great falls unbroken are the bones of the inner ear.

That's so you can hear yourself moaning and screaming in shattered agony after your cliff 'tumble.' 

Nature fact: In one minute, enough water goes over Niagara Falls to fill 27 Olympic sized swimming pools.

Movie/celebrity fact: Jennifer Lawrence's love of Doritos caused her to stain several of her dresses in the movie American Hustle, nearly ruining them in the process. To get around this problem, the wardrobe department created several identical copies of her wardrobe so she would always have a clean dress to wear.

Fun fact: The Internet sees more traffic on it's fun sites in one work day than it does on the weekend. Says quite a bit doesn't it. 

On an unrelated note, did Elcap type this from his work. Because I did this while I should be paying attention right now.

Nope, I work odd hours :)

And speaking of which, here's a game fact for all of you:

The "Corrupted Blood" plague incident in World of Warcraft arose out of programming glitch in their first dungeon Zul'Gurub. In Zul'Gurub, in which a team of 20 players have to contend with a rebellious tribe of trolls, the final boss, the Zul'Gurub Chieftain, cast a spell called "Corrupted Blood" which caused massive damage over time, and affected players and pets/minions alike. The glitch occurred when the hunters and warlocks dismissed their pets or minions while still infected with the spell, which they then carried outside the dungeon, as those pets and minions were effectively in suspended animation. Upon being recalled back into the game, any and all players & characters were immediately infected simply by being in proximity to the pents & minions, and the disease spread like wildfire through the capital cities in the game, forcing many players to avoid these cities for days, assuming of course they could even escape without getting infected. Many low-level characters were killed within a couple seconds, while higher level characters barely had enough time to find someone who could dispell the "Corrupted Blood", with the few players who could becoming quickly overwhelmed.

As a result of this incident, and the resulting reactions of players, CDC scientists closely watched this incident at length to see how a quickly fatal disease would be spread from one person to another, and provide a more accurate model of psychological reactions to a disease outbreak. And of course, the glitch was quickly fixed, so that the "Blood Plague" could no longer exist outside of the Zul'Gurub dungeon.

We sometimes forget what we needed when we enter a room because of a phenomenon called “Event Boundary”

Using a remote controlled camera, biologists caught dolphins getting high by sucking on Puffer Fish. They were even caught passing the Puffer Fish around.

The First lady of the United States doesn’t have to be the President’s wife; the position can be filled by his daughter, niece or sister instead.

There is a town in Norway called Hell and it freezes over almost every winter.

Pepperjack91 said:
Yeah that's an odd one. Can you imagine like looking at both your feet and your butt cheeks at the same time. Lmao
A donkey can ALWAYS see it's ass....

There are multiple towns called hell. I've been put in trouble for using as an excuse to do dangerous things that I claimed I wouldn't attempt until "Hell froze over"

Fun fact: Ken Ham cannot debate for his life.

Medical fact: In the UK, a former taxicab driver named Malcolm Myatt suffered a major stroke, and spent 19 weeks in the hospital. The stroke affected the frontal lobe of his brain, and rendered him incapable of feeling sadness and most other negative emotions, and once local papers got wind of his condition, he was declared the happiest man in the world. He was otherwise unaffected, and what little motor function he had temporarily lost immediately after the stroke, returned prior to his release from the hospital.

Fun fact: A man was suicidal, and so shot himself directly under the ear to the other side of his head. He found that he did not die, but was now no longer depressed either. The bullet managed to damage only the part of his brain that was causing him to feel that way, and after that he was fine, still capable of feeling every emotion. A woman tried suicide in the same way, and had the same end result. The conclusion of this is that either way, suicide by gun is going to cure depression.

Edit: Does anyone know what was with the rather large number of circumhorizontal and circumzenithal arcs last year. I just remembered that early October or so in Connecticut there was too many of them with too much frequency because ice only acts as a prism rarely. I would see them about every other day for a few weeks, and at one point there where two of each type in the sky at once. If I can hook my phone into computer and still have the (crappy) images, I'll show you.

Television fact: In 1984, Michael Paul Larson appeared on the game show "Press Your Luck" and won $110,237, and only decided to stop when he finally relinquished his turn to another player. Little did anyone know at the time but the reason for his major win was because he had meticulously studied the game and discovered a pattern in the apparent randomness of the board so he would always avoid the whammies and land on the higher dollar amounts. When producers found out about this, they allowed him to keep the money since he never cheated per se, but recalibrated the board so it would be truly random, and set a winnings limit of $75,000.

Back