• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp SW Iowa 2015 not corn grow.

Time to knock the dust off the keypad and practice with the camera I got at the end of last season.My seed list is ready but still needs taken down a bit.I will say (judy) is going to have her own section in my garden and Hence forth shall be stated in my updates as(The Judy Wing).Also I have some seeds from my good buddy Dew(thanks Scott).One more shout out to Chris(Joyners powders friggin rock)as I will be introducing his ""Mystery Wine""to some good old dark Iowa soil.
    Alabama Jack,your puree basic recipe is the one I now will be using to preserve peppers for sauces that I don't dry,send to our friends on this site or torment my people at the factory with.It's so simple that I can move your numbers up or down and get the same results.I will be doing a better job this year on weights and measurements to not only help me but anyone checking in so if they see something I need to adjust,we have accurate numbers to go by.
   Starting nursery first week of March,plant out date first week of May.
All will be from seed this year.My first two years I bought some live plants,after I did my first start with seeds last year,I found they were more prepared and thrived because they had been in my control from the start.I do think highly of"chiliplants"and would send anyone looking for a healthy plant or new types to consult them.
      I look forward to watch other glogs,as we fight the weather,bugs,and other thing's the Wrath of God sends our way.
   Good luck to all.
 Randy
P.s
  If I can get my seed from the "Growdown"to be as tall as the corn here I will be a happy man. :party:

Puree --
2100 gr  peppers
1260 ml wht,vinegar
2tbls sea salt
7tbls honey

I found my new roaster perfect for this,as i ruin more pans trying to cook on a burner.(get a good one)
Use nothing but plastic utensils,I set temp at 275 degrees and adjusted up or down according to my simmer.
cooked down just a bit not 1/3rd for this batch.I am still toying with what works for me.
Waterbath jars.This made 3qts and 1pt(i will never,never cook puree or any heavy on the peppers stuff in the house again.lesson learned.)
thanks again AJ
2015-01-18 005.JPG

2015-01-18 006.JPG

2015-01-18 007.JPG

2015-01-18 009.JPG

2015-01-18 010.JPG

Neighbors daughter got married last night.I have the honor of cooking the Sunday noon (get the hell out of my house)dinner for 20 guest from around the country.I shall not let him down.At what point can I switch to Vodka after drinking coffey all night? :shh:
Brisket and beans under the meat went on first.
P7190002.jpg

pulled the beans and put on a pork loin at 4am.Total 22 lbs of smoked awesomeness
P7190001_1.jpg

Neighbor(i cooked for)  had this Top Shelf VO waiting for me when I got home monday.I dont drink during the week so I think he did It to torture me.Cant wait till Friday to give it a go. :dance:
P7200003.jpg

randyp said:
      14lb yard-bird from my re-arranged freezer was just introduced to my smoker.Nice pace change from a heavy summer beef diet.

Most excellent yardbird Randy! You got me thinking along similar lines for later in the week... :drooling:

Plants and pods look great! Hopefully the "mini heat wave" gave you enough degree days to ripen up at least a few pods, but it should be happening soon anyway. Cheers!

stickman said:

Most excellent yardbird Randy! You got me thinking along similar lines for later in the week... :drooling:

Plants and pods look great! Hopefully the "mini heat wave" gave you enough degree days to ripen up at least a few pods, but it should be happening soon anyway. Cheers!
   Rick that bird was the best meal and lunch sandwiches I had all summer.Nice change of pace buddy. ;)

that meat looks awesome, would of loved to see the finished product. You going to eat that pod on video? cmon it's tradition to eat the first ripe pod of the year raw.. on video... for the masses to laugh at.. I mean observe. 

D3monic said:
that meat looks awesome, would of loved to see the finished product. You going to eat that pod on video? cmon it's tradition to eat the first ripe pod of the year raw.. on video... for the mass.es to laugh at.. I mean observe. 
    Thanks for swinging in Mike.I was so tired cooking all night,I just cut the meat took it to the neighbor and hit the sack.I will be smoking more soon and get ya some picks.
    The pod goes to work for a pepper club I have and we all take a bite.I cant do whole pods like some of the KINGS on this sight. :shh:

romy6 said:
 Looking sweet randy . Now where is that Iowegian corn  :rofl:
   I just want the corn growing weather.But Jamie I will swing out and get ya some pics after they hit 15ft.buddy

randyp said:
   Thanks Chris I will save some big ones just for you buddy. ;)
I have an unknown right now ripening yellow that should be a Naga and it is damn near the size of an apple. Pictures coming in next few days with a golf ball for comparison :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have an unknown right now ripening yellow that should be a Naga and it is damn near the size of an apple. Pictures coming in next few days with a golf ball for comparison :)
  I was So upset my saved Mystery Wine seeds failed this year Chris.I wanted them to hit Iowa dirt and see how big I could get them. .I will be in touch for 2016.

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
Iowa ripper? now your just making up names! haha
  Has a ring to it Joe. :dance:  Its year 2 ,I consider it an immigrant.In a good way.lol

randyp said:
  I was So upset my saved Mystery Wine seeds failed this year Chris.I wanted them to hit Iowa dirt and see how big I could get them. .I will be in touch for 2016.

Has a ring to it Joe. :dance:  Its year 2 ,I consider it an immigrant.In a good way.lol
Boo, I agree that is a bummer so far I have only seen a few but all are true color thus far. 

Back