• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Ready to try and make my first sauce

Ready to try to make my first sauce. I plan to give it a go tomorrow. Looking for any ideas possible. I picked up several items after reading about various fruit/habaneros sauce recipes on this website. I'm excited to get started. The ingredients I have available are as follows:
16 Orange Habaneros
1 lb Fresh Strawberries
2 Mangos
Fresh Pineapple
Mango Nectar
Peach Nectar
Lime Juice
Honey
Carrots
Apple Cider Vinegar
Cabernet Wine Vinegar

Thank you,

I find one can of peaches or a pineapple enough for me. I have a friend who makes sauces to sell and he makkes one called Screaming Peaches. Spicey but I like mine a lil less sweet. Don't make one huge batch, make a few small one, make notes and go with the one that works for you.
http://www.sweetlifesaucecompany.com/
:beer:

looking like a good list. What amounts? We love
flash.gif

With the lime juice you might want to consider droping the vinegars, well unless you like the vinegar taste as some do. The purpose of the acid is to reduce the ph of the sauce and the lime juice alone will handle that just fine. As this is a major fruit sauce IMHO, just using the lime juice will give you a better flavor and your using another fruit. I also think you should leave the carrots in especially if they're good sweet carrots, as they will help to add to the body of the sauce giving it a nice consistencey. I usually like a medimum thick sauce, one that will give a nice coating to some wings or won't just run off or make the bread soggy when put on a good sammy and your sauce sounds like it would go great on some smoked turky and sharp cheader.

Cheers

Actually I'm going to make too small batches. One Strawberry Mango Habanero and one Pineapple Mango Habanero and kind of experiment with them. Is it necessary to puree them after cooking them down? I am also debating on whether or not to leave the pepper seeds in the sauce. The only hot sauce I have ever eaten somewhat close to these would be BW3s Mango Habanero sauce and the first time I did that I received some small white sores on my tongue. Just wondering how much difference the seeds will make?

I always puree before anything hits the pot. When my blender hits liquefy for a few minutes seeds barely stand a chance. Even the little seeds from 7 pounds of "seedless" watermelon, that I am cooking down as I type this, didn't stand a chance.

Welcome to making you own custom sauces.

These are not the final ingredients because I'm trying to adjust the taste.
About 10 orange habaneros - seeds and all(cut away discolored areas)
1 lb fresh strawberries
1 fresh pineapple
10 oz mango nectar
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbs honey

I pureed everything then cooked and brought to a boil and simmered for 30 minutes

It smells very fruity, has an odd fruity taste, and it is extremely hot for me. I'm trying to figure out what I can add to make it thicker and a tad less hot.

Back