• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recharge the Dirt

So now that my season is over I've got 70+ pots full of used potting mix and plant roots. Is there anything I can do with it so I can use it again next season?

Thanks

Add banna peels grass clippings and manure to your soil and lett it rod down for the next set of plants. If ur using pots the remain potting soil you can ad manure to. Always an organic way of doing evrything.

My temporary abode is kinda out in the country. It's under a giant Redwood tree. I have a large cow pasture behind me, and a Llama farm a couple hundred yards in front. There's a redwood and pine forest to the side. I was inside, next to the sliding glass door watering a couple of pepper plants, when she walked out of the woods, and under a hole in the cow fence. I watched her for about 20 minutes, as she was looking(doing the sneaky cat thing) for rabbits and ground squirrels. She knew I was there. I went outside, and she didn't seem to mind, until I came out with the camera. Then she put some distance between us.(That's how I know the cat was a female)!:lol:

origamiRN said:
My temporary abode is kinda out in the country. It's under a giant Redwood tree. I have a large cow pasture behind me, and a Llama farm a couple hundred yards in front. There's a redwood and pine forest to the side. I was inside, next to the sliding glass door watering a couple of pepper plants, when she walked out of the woods, and under a hole in the cow fence. I watched her for about 20 minutes, as she was looking(doing the sneaky cat thing) for rabbits and ground squirrels. She knew I was there. I went outside, and she didn't seem to mind, until I came out with the camera. Then she put some distance between us.(That's how I know the cat was a female)!:lol:

so you werent eaten. I feel verry let down

Nice story though

We got a couple of inches two Saturdays ago but it's since melted.

Brad I would have loved to have been a witness to your lady. Bobcats are something I could spend most of a day watching. Just an overgrown tabby really. Same attitude for sure. Lucky you. That is probably part of her territory so you'll probably get a chance to see her again if you didn't scare her too bad. Very cool!

patrick said:
We got a couple of inches two Saturdays ago but it's since melted.

Brad I would have loved to have been a witness to your lady. Bobcats are something I could spend most of a day watching. Just an overgrown tabby really. Same attitude for sure. Lucky you. That is probably part of her territory so you'll probably get a chance to see her again if you didn't scare her too bad. Very cool!

I put some rabbit food in the backyard.... is that wrong?

No room inside for worm composting I'm afraid.

Think I'll hook the bag up to the mower and go get me some fallen leaves and grass mulch for the compost pile.

Thanks again for the help gang.

The downside to adding manure is it also adds to the weight. Personally I'd add some pine bark fines or pine bark mulch that isn't huge chunks, mix in some fertilizer, bone meal / what ever and use that. You could also buy some fresh potting soil to mix in, but it really isn't that big of a deal. No real need to let it compost, once it dries out most of the roots shrivel up. I just use my hands to break up the soil / mix it up with the other ingredients and go from there.

patrick said:
No room inside for worm composting I'm afraid.

Think I'll hook the bag up to the mower and go get me some fallen leaves and grass mulch for the compost pile.

Thanks again for the help gang.

I also had that same question as a few plants have seemed to stop producing although most of them are still going strong. I figure I still have about a month of growing season left as the temps are still mid 70's for most of the day. What does it entail in setting up a worm farm inside? I will have some spare room in the grow closet and that may be an option for me. If not I may try and set up something in the garage? Temps are constantly warm so they should be ok I would guess.

LGHT said:
I also had that same question as a few plants have seemed to stop producing although most of them are still going strong. I figure I still have about a month of growing season left as the temps are still mid 70's for most of the day. What does it entail in setting up a worm farm inside? I will have some spare room in the grow closet and that may be an option for me. If not I may try and set up something in the garage? Temps are constantly warm so they should be ok I would guess.

I'd say keep the worm farm and your plants far away from each other, especially indoors. I don't vermicompost yet, but I have done my homework. Your food scraps could carry pest eggs that would hatch in the worm farm and escape to infect your plants. I think a garage is probably best. It's also advised to keep your outdoor plant scraps and soil out of the worm bin. Outdoor stuff should go in a traditional compost heap which unfortunately requires more space and time.

Starting a worm farm could require as little as a single rubbermaid container, shredded newspaper and some red wiggler worms. A google search for "diy vermicompost rubbermaid" brings up a few easy designs.

Back