• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recycled aluminum

My tomato grow experiment this season.
Recy1.jpg

Recy2.jpg

A new use for dead soldiers.
Recy3.jpg

Float level in bucket controls water level in all connected containers.
Recy4.jpg

Nice set up SS. You guys and all your new fangled techno wizardry. I'm just happy with my plain old dirt right now but still like to read these as I am pretty interested in hydro growth in the next couple years. Looking forward to seeing those mater plants LOADED with fruit! ;)

millworkman said:
Hmmmmmmmm. Better than regular containers?

Well, I don't need to worry about watering them, but as for how well it works I'll just have to wait a while longer b4 I decide. ;)

Maligator said:
Nice set up SS. You guys and all your new fangled techno wizardry. I'm just happy with my plain old dirt right now but still like to read these as I am pretty interested in hydro growth in the next couple years. Looking forward to seeing those mater plants LOADED with fruit! ;)

Thanks, I can't have peppers w/o tomatoes for my sauce and salsa.

Hinky said:
Ah beer- is there anything you can't do!

With a beer in hand you can conquer the world or at least It makes me feel that way. :lol:

Hmmm- I wonder. What if you were to use a Smartvalve instead of the float? I've been wondering what to do with the extra smartvalves I've got laying around, looks like I'm going to be stocking up on a few more plastic totes when I get home! :lol:

Hinky said:
Hmmm- I wonder. What if you were to use a Smartvalve instead of the float? I've been wondering what to do with the extra smartvalves I've got laying around, looks like I'm going to be stocking up on a few more plastic totes when I get home! :lol:

"As the plants grow larger the AQUAvalve will open & close more often & will perform in accordance with the plants needs. By filling the tray and then allowing it to completely empty before it is re-filled, allows the plants to go through a wet & dry cycle."

Letting a peat based medium dry out may interrupt its wicking action, but you could use something else to supply the capillary action I suppose. It's something fun to play with.

Yeah, I'd be using nutrient and hydroton with a smartvalve- I like the way you're using the float as a simple common manifold that is separated from the plants, that was what I've been trying to figure out.

Are you using straight peat? Are you adding nutrients?

Hinky said:

I will send you my address in pm. You can send those extra smartvalves down to me.

Here's my mix in the tote:

2 - cu. ft. soil conditioner (composted pine bark fines)
2 - 5 gallon buckets of peat
2 - gallons compost
2 - gallons humus
1- 5 gallon bucket perlite
3 - cups dolomite
foliar feeding with kelp, humic acid, fulvic acid and compost tea

millworkman said:
Is that the same as the mix you do in your containers?

Almost, except in the containers I use one less bucket of peat. In this mix I added a bucket to improve capillary action, which I don't really want in a regular container.

Did you start the tom's yourself or buy them already started? Whatever you did they're looking great! Good luck with the new system SS.

Ah another one using homemade earth boxes. We use the same but instead of the pipe with holes we use the plastic coffee cans, holes drilled in sides as center and side supports. The fancy valve thing we don't do. We have 15 of these tubs and may add some more this year. They really are efficient in summer drought as the resevoir of water is there if they need it. Peppers, which hate wet feet, thrive in these totes. If you go to GW under container gardening you will find a 31 gallontub, designed to house 2 tomato plants with it's own supports. Looks workable but we haven't made one yet. Once you use that grow tote you will be convinced.

patrick said:
Did you start the tom's yourself or buy them already started? Whatever you did they're looking great! Good luck with the new system SS.

They were all started from seed. Thanks p, I'll post an update tomorrow when I have better light since they've started blooming and setting maters. :)

pepperfever said:
Ah another one using homemade earth boxes. We use the same but instead of the pipe with holes we use the plastic coffee cans, holes drilled in sides as center and side supports. The fancy valve thing we don't do. We have 15 of these tubs and may add some more this year. They really are efficient in summer drought as the resevoir of water is there if they need it. Peppers, which hate wet feet, thrive in these totes. If you go to GW under container gardening you will find a 31 gallontub, designed to house 2 tomato plants with it's own supports. Looks workable but we haven't made one yet. Once you use that grow tote you will be convinced.

Yep, just my modded version of an earth box with auto watering. 18 gallon tote with 2 maters in each.

LordViykor said:
Is this a variation of a wicking bed?

I like the concept, the tomatoes look really healthy.

I don't know what a wicking bed is, but the water is wicked as needed from a constant level chamber in the bottom of the tote. This is a first time experiment for me and I may do a few more with peppers to see how well they do.

Lowe's sells the totes for $7, but I caught them on sale at Target for $5 with free local pickup. ;)

I have 8 of them in series, total cost was around $75, not counting the mix or the beer I was forced to drink to get the cans needed. :)

Back