• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red Savina Accident 10-07-08

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I was afraid something like this was going to happen...my best Red Savina plant that was loaded with pods was blown off the highest part of my retaining wall directly on its head....I lost half the plant and it was loaded with pods...there are 319 red savina pods on this 9" paper plate...

100808a001.jpg

Now the question is what can I do with them if anything?...can I make a green sauce with them or should I pickle them or just make pepper sauce (peppers and vinegar) for my greens with them?...

Shit happens and you move on to the next chapter in life...

GREEN SAUCE!!!! Sorry to hear about your plant. That's what you get for risking it and pacariously perching peppers on peaks.

fineexampl said:
i'd break some shit if that happened to me.
But then you would not only have a broken Savina plant, you would have other broken stuff too:rolleyes:

What a pity those pods won't ripen, oh the humanity- your other 10,000 pods should help to cheer you up though AJ!
Do the pods have any heat in them yet, also what is the flavour like?

The peppers do have heat already even though it is not the full Red Savina heat...probably half...they are too small to stuff and make poppers out of...I think I will make a green sauce with them....talas...what is a "green han" sauce? I think they are way too young to ripen.

The winds were pretty calm when I left for work and a front came thru with northwest winds gusting to 35 mph...while I was at work, I told one of the guys that I would bet something like this would happen so that is why I am not really upset...besides I have one other plant that is loaded like this one was and about 5 or 6 others that have a some pods on them too...

what is the saying...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...just another lesson learned for me this year...

oh...gotcha...thanks

I had a huge red savina branch break several years ago. I just hung it up in a dark closet and 80% ripened within a week. You can also put the pods in a bag to ripen them quickly
Edit:Now that I see your pic, I guess you can't hang them.
2344719957_a51be9ab24.jpg

I thought about hanging the broken branches with the peppers on them but they were a long way from ripening...the peppers looked like they were no more than 50% of full size...I am not really that worried because of the other savina plants I have growing...

AJ,

At the end of last year, I had a hab plant that was loaded with pods when the killing frost hit. They were in various sizes, just as the ones you show. I hung the branch up and every one of them eventually ripened.

Mike

talas said:
Drank a Quart of Jamesons 10 year old last night and im not a whiskey drinker..So its wonder i didn't say make an E.T sauce A.J :lol:;)

LOL!!!! I was thinking that as I was trying to decifer your earlier post. :lol::lol:

Back