• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Register for the February Throwdown

What do you want to cook? Pick that region!

• Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carolina Panthers (North and South)

• Chicago Bears

• Cleveland Browns

• Dallas Cowboys

• Denver Broncos

• Detroit Lions

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Minnesota Vikings

• New York Giants (NYC)

• Oakland Raiders

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Los Angeles Chargers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total voters
I'll tell him!  Not sure if he's working this weekend.  He's discovered that Big Weekends in the restaurant industry=Big tips.  :lol:

SmokenFire said:

On some distant level I feel the same way about nobody doing Chicago.  

It does make sense.  Both cities have so much cuisine to offer that there is really very little that stands out.  I actually took an informal poll in my office(all native NYers) and the top three were in no particular order:

1. Dirty water Dog
2. Pretzel from a cart 
3. Pastrami from one of the Jewish Delicatessens

I think it is more about the "restaurant" than an individual food in NYC.  

NY food is like American food. No one can define it because it's a melting pot, but it's the best in the world. Ask someone what American food is and they blank out. But take it city by city and you start to understand. That's why this will be awesome.

Same thing with Chitown, except DEEP DISH pizza, and hotdogs.

But I have no idea where the Chicago dogs are sold. From carts? Bodegas? Chicago® Hot Dog© Store?

The Hot Pepper said:
NY food is like American food. No one can define it because it's a melting pot, but it's the best in the world. Ask someone what American food is and they blank out. But take it city by city and you start to understand. That's why this will be awesome.
I am pretty sure NYC is THEE single most melting pot city for food. Nowhere else has the vast selection that NYC does. Other cities have a huge array of food categories but I don't think anywhere on earth rivals NYC.

Not even Las Vegas. :Rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (that was a joke)

The Hot Pepper said:
The hot dogs are disgusting here. Most pizza too lol. Speaking of odds of course.
I have heard that from you and others. But I would still have to choke one down to say I did. I surely wouldn't live off of them tho.

No, you just have to know where to go for real food. If you decide to just walk down the street and grab a dog, a slice, or halal, you will be up all night in your hotel room. :shocked:

The Hot Pepper said:

California has access to fresher produce, not to mention you guys are always stealing chefs from us.  :lol:

This is an interesting discussion, as when someone says "what's an American food" or What's indicative of NY food? 

Never having been to NY, I think of it as the corner shop that specializes in ... pastrami...pizza...proshki...saurkraut....  
each of those is heralding to their European roots for bringing in the flavors and cooking from their Homeland. 

Does America have a signature dish?  Yes. It's...

...everything on the menu. 

Back