• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Register for the February Throwdown

What do you want to cook? Pick that region!

• Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carolina Panthers (North and South)

• Chicago Bears

• Cleveland Browns

• Dallas Cowboys

• Denver Broncos

• Detroit Lions

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Minnesota Vikings

• New York Giants (NYC)

• Oakland Raiders

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Los Angeles Chargers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total voters
Pretty sure that doesn't help with a SUPERBOWL TD!   :lol:

salsalady said:
This is an interesting discussion, as when someone says "what's an American food" or What's indicative of NY food? 

Never having been to NY, I think of it as the corner shop that specializes in ... pastrami...pizza...proshki...saurkraut....  
each of those is heralding to their European roots for bringing in the flavors and cooking from their Homeland. 

Does America have a signature dish?  Yes. It's...

...everything on the menu. 

Most cuisines are melting pots it would just be hard to market the food that way so there must be staple dishes people expect on the menu. Italian, Chinese, etc. But take a trip top that country and see the difference. I've had good pizza in Thailand. ;)

The world is a whole lot more connected now than it was 70 years ago, so if a person went to Thailand 50 years ago, I'd bet that you would not be able to find a proper pizza in the whole country.  (just guessing here...just to make a point...)

Wars happened, people stayed,....now, there are a lot more folks making homes and restaurants in other countries than what were there 70 years ago.

I have been eyeing NY...but the funds are low this go round.

I was tossing around Lobster rolls....two Iconic places sit diagonally from each other.

One uses all tail, the other all claw....both have lines around the corner daily to eat there.

Pizza is a given, dogs off the carts as well.....but it's the Superbowl....Lobster would have been my choice.

Good luck to all you home chefs...will be watching you all from the 50 yrd line. :cheers:

Masher said:
I have been eyeing NY...but the funds are low this go round.

I was tossing around Lobster rolls....two Iconic places sit diagonally from each other.

One uses all tail, the other all claw....both have lines around the corner daily to eat there.

Pizza is a given, dogs off the carts as well.....but it's the Superbowl....Lobster would have been my choice.

Good luck to all you home chefs...will be watching you all from the 50 yrd line. :cheers:

Like the Baron von Rashke, I'm all about the claw

3c2fd9000a829684b4807c6c178e27cc.jpg

hogleg said:
all I know is New York doesn't have a quizzing named after it but Cali does  :party:

So when are you ticking a Cali team? ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
So when are you ticking a Cali team? ;)

:rofl:  :rofl: Yea right, the politics going on with the Cali teams is worse than real politics right now. Someone could pick the Raiders today thinking Oaktown but they might be in Las Vegas, San Diego, or ??? by TD kickoff  :rofl:  :rofl:
The 9ers just hired a coach that doesn't even know what a football is. :rofl:  :rofl:

Anyway I'm a Eagles fan and my fav TD allstar is doing Philly, so I expect good things. :drooling:

bpiela said:
I am making smoked bacon wrapped jalapeno hot dogs on Super Bowl Sunday.  I don't think this is a standard food anywhere.  It is a hot dog underneath it all... 

Game on! These are a mexican food called danger dogs and a common LA street food. Perfect for the SB too, so there you go! Pick LA!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_dog

danger_dogs_la.png

Street food vendor in Los Angeles, she is serving a popular style of bacon-wrapped hot dog served around sporting events, concerts, and night-clubs in the LA area.

I think you meant wrapping the poppers, but maybe I just gave you an idea. Just pick it anyway and post your version of danger dogs!

The Hot Pepper said:

Game on! These are a mexican food called danger dogs and a common LA street food. Perfect for the SB too, so there you go! Pick LA!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_dog

attachicon.gif
danger_dogs_la.png

Street food vendor in Los Angeles, she is serving a popular style of bacon-wrapped hot dog served around sporting events, concerts, and night-clubs in the LA area.

Hael Yea!! Best dogs I ever had were Mexican style. My friend Sergio's wife makes them with Casper dogs and cooks em slow on the weber with pure oak wood coals and they are SOOO Delicious.
She serves them with fire roasted penos too :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

bpiela said:
Ok.  I am in for L.A. Danger Dogs with a twist.

You have to click LA in the poll. PS. There's two one is not alphabetical.

Chicago is a great food city, and I imagine much like NYC it all depends on what neighborhood or borough you're in.  Chicago has deep dish and hot dogs of course, but there are areas where you can get any/all manner of foods from everywhere on the planet if you know what you're looking for.

Pho?  Little Vietnam at Broadway & Argyle.

Dim Sum?  Cermack & Wentworth is your spot.  All manner of sushi/noodle shops and such dot the city - usually one on just about every block.

Italian food?  Taylor St between Racine & Ashland  (Chicago is also known for italian beef, but those are everywhere)

Greek food?  A good portion of our diner and family restaurants were originally opened by Greeks and you can find their imprint all over the city.  Best Greek food is centered on Halsted between Adams and Jackson.

Latin/Mexican?  Head over to 18th street in Pilsen, but don't neglect North Center or Albany Park.  (not to mention any of the small hole in the wall taquerias sprinkled all over!)

Middle East your thing?  Try Devon and Western - a bonanza of food from all over the map - most of it cheap and oh so good.

Irish/English pubs abound, most of them serving dynamite fare with beer lists pages long.  Fine dining, centering on big thick steaks and seafood flown in daily abound.  

You'll not want for pretty much any food, at pretty much any time of the day or night in Chicago.

Back