beer =[ Remgrandt's Six Months of *NOT BREWING* ]=

Friday without a beer run ... only means one thing ...

tumblr_lics5v3YGa1qd4lcwo1_500.gif

I found something fun, from like 7-8 yrs ago ...

Corona:
(Rating - 55/100)

My historical choice, infused with both lime and salt. At the beach, in the Florida sun during the summer, it works. I'm not sure that I will ever really select this option over Negro Modelo going forward, and certainly this choice in the absence of lime and salt is really pretty rotten. There is nothing special to speak of here, but it serves as a marker of where I began.

Negro Modelo:
(Rating - 75/100)

The beer I've traditionally kept in my refrigerator, and nothing has come along to challenge it's role for accompanying Mexican meals. It's considerably better quality than Corona, and available at the regular grocery store, so I'm sure that I'll continue to keep this in stock until something comes along and displaces it - which won't be easy.

Dogfishhead 60:
(Rating - 60/100)

The first craft beer I tried, a little overly carbonated and metallic for my preference. I should have tried the 90 or 120 I'm told, but this ended up going across the street with the Avery White Rascal and Stone IPA. It's just not my gig, and with all of the options out there, one shouldn't suffer through beer they don't enjoy. Since I only drink beer a couple

(2-3)
nights each week, and only a few each time
(1-3)
, I see no reason to waste refrigerated space on beer I don't really like.
Dead Guy Ale:
(Rating - 90/100)

This is destined to be my utility beer, as I enjoy both the flavor profile and the mouthfeel. It's a really consistent, balanced product and I'm planning to keep it in stock indefinitely.

Rogue Imperial Pilsner:
(Rating - 93/100)

This is my 1st selection in a bottle w/ a rubber stopper, but furthermore, the packaging is excellent. It poured really noticeably bright and orange, and while the mouthfeel was a little more carbonated than I would have by choice, the taste was tremendously complex and varied. While it may not be an exact fit, it was a breakthrough moment in experiencing a more complicated brew, and one in which the different components of the taste were incredibly well defined. It was a memorable experience as I made my way through the bottle, one which has catapulted my interest. I would certainly replace that bottle, in particular I think it would mate well with a fish entree.

Rogue Mocha Porter:
(Rating - 85/100)

This is my first foray into chocolate/mocha inspired brewing, so I don't have much to compare to to be honest. At first I wasn't sure about this selection, however, a few nights later it called out to me from the bottom shelf. There are times, seemingly when I'm having my beer after I've eaten, where this style makes a lot of sense. I'm hesitant to call it a dessert beer, however, that very well may be the case. Working my way through the 6-pack, it's a very fine option, but I have a feeling I'll find a better alternative later in my journey.

Avery White Rascal:
(Rating - dp/100)

Instantly didn't care for the hyperactive mouthfeel or the metallic qualities of this variety, poured out and gave the remainder of the 6-pack to the neighbors across the street.

Stone IPA:
(Rating - 71/100)

Didn't care for this beer straight away, and since Tasha was cutting a lime for a Corona, I processed a slice into the beer to try to salvage the experience just for kicks. Surprisingly, it helped this beer. I definitely wouldn't buy this again, but a little bit of citrus made a monumental difference in the palatability of this selection for my tastes. In the end, I gave the remainder of the 6-pack to the neighbors across the street.

Ufo Hefenweizen by Harpoon:
(Rating - 93/100)

AWESOME! Will definitely keep this in stock as it's so smooth and light and kind of citrusy. There is a smell of fart as one approaches the beer, but the taste which follows is flat awesome for me. It pours bright and yellow and the head fades quickly, although reappear upon agitation while tipping to drink ... I think I'll have to test some other Hefenweizen now, but this is a vastly improved option which at least replaces the Rogue Imperial Pilsner! I'm dipping back into this beer tonight alongside a phenomenal brick-oven pie from Cosimo's and the beer is just awesome once more. This is definitely my favorite beer at present.

Orval Trappist Ale:
(Rating - 86/100)

this was interesting as it's perhaps the first beer where I definitely experienced the chunky head stuck to the sides of the chalice. The beer was good, but it's really nice the kind of beer I prefer to drink under normal circumstances. It poured with a very ample head, which remained throughout the drinking of the beverage in a sense. This was interesting, but this one in particular doesn't suit my palette per se.

Rogue Somer Orange Honey Ale:
(Rating - 87/100)

this was very similar to the Ufo Hefenweizen made by Harpoon, but wasn't better. Given the choice, and since they are exceedingly similar, I would just elect to drink the Ufo Hefenweizen. Both are good, and unfiltered wheat beers are definitely on my radar now. I'll do some more experimenting for certain. This is good, and in fact every Rogue beer has been good, but I definitely prefer the Ufo offering in the category

(this time)
Harpoon Leviathan:
(Rating - dp/100)

Interestingly, this beer smelled really nice and poured with a nice head that resolved quickly, however, returned just as readily upon agitation. The lacing was thin, but definite. Unfortunately, the taste reminded me of the smell of the hallway at the Purple Porpoise across from the stadium in Gainesville. Used to stop in for a burger late morning on the weekends, but you had to first survive the walk through the hallway from the back parking lot, and this beer

(quite unfortunately)
evoked that stored memory. I poured it out at about the half-way point, having tried to find something to appreciate without much luck.
Westmalle Tripel:
(Rating - 81/100)

Comes highly recommended by @voodootikigod

(Chris Williams)
. Pours with ample chunky head that is slightly orange colored. The smell is really nice, such that the absence of "stale" implies a fresh scent. The taste is complex and well-balanced, in a sense it's perfectly round and nothing really stands out. It's a great comparison to the beer I just poured out
(Harpoon Leviathan)
, which was the result of an aberration that I didn't like and just couldn't get past. I don't think at this time I'll restock this, however.
Pete's Wicked Ale:
(Rating - 92/100)

Poured w/ a minimal off-white head, which doesn't chunk or even lace the glass for that matter. The smell is nice and seemingly sweet. I was hopeful this was not going to be deceitful as it was with the Leviathan offering from Harpoon. Fortunately, this time, the taste was in accord with the smell, and it's aligned nicely with my preferences. This beer has the most insignificant amount of head I've seen to date, and at once, it's probably one of my favorites thus far. Having dirtied the majority of my glassware this weekend, I'm drinking it out of a properly shaped glass, but one w/ a blue tint, so I can't really comment on the color of the beer, and my prior commentary on the off-white head is perhaps suspect as well. The mouthfeel is nicely smooth and the carbonation is well in check, this seems to be a pairing of characteristics which define my favorite selections. In sharing this log in the upcoming weeks, I'll be hoping to attract recommendations from acquaintances who are more experienced with beer, whom can recommend new varieties along these lines!

Dogfishhead 90:
(Rating - 84/100)

This beer is somewhat anticlimactic for me, but I'm also not surprised that I don't really like it as well as so many others. I don't seem to like a lot of these well-regarded beers, and with a little more research, I bet I'll find this is one of those over-hopped specimens. The beer poured a very translucent cherry red into a snifter, with a pretty minor-moderate head, which quickly dissipated and even the lacing is rather fleeting. The smell is very pleasant, however, I'm finding a purely inverse relationship between smell and taste, where I don't seem to appreciate the brews which have a scent that I gravitate towards. I find that interesting, but not entirely surprising. As the beer got a little warmer, I noticed the flavor profile softened and became somewhat more palatable. At 9%, you are definitely getting a better ratio of effect/volume to consume, which is favorable as I often find beer to be more filling than I'd prefer. It's not bad, and in fact, it's probably quite good - it's just not my preferred style again.

Samual Adams Cream Stout:
(Rating - 94/100)

Totally surprisingly, despite that this beer poured an opaque black oil slick totally devoid of head, it was smooth and mildly carbonated and I *loved* it. This is right up there with the Ufo Hefeweizen as beer I can drink without grimacing. I detect some chocolate and coffee-like tones. I'm definitely going to be investigating cream stouts now, and I'm excited because this beer improves as it warms for a change. Damn good - this is a very fine match for me, and I look forward to looking deeper into the style. Update:

(Rating - /100)
Having put away 3-4 of these I'm positive this is a favorite of mine, can't wait to shoot out the field against it.
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat:
(Rating - dp/100)

This was pretty disgusting to be honest. The cherry taste was awkward and unlike anything naturally cherry. I ended up pouring the last third of it out, because once it warmed up it was unbearable. For the sake of being complete, it poured a moderately yellow "beer" with a three=quarter inch head that faded pretty quickly. The smell was mildly cherry, and very sweet. It's a shame the cherry was like candy and not like fruit, it really leads one to believe it's a syrup or something nasty like that. Yuck, not to be repeated, naturally.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout:
(Rating - 91/100)

This beer came recommended by @voodootikigod, and was very similar to the Samuel Adams Cream Stout. There was an additional component to the flavor profile, and it poured similarly - however, with even less head than the already virtually non-existent head from the Sam Adams. I don't think this can "win out" over the Sam Adams for me, but it was very good - also, and I just assume a bit more expensive and thus not worth the exchange for the top slot. I think, too, that I could find the Samuel Adams at ABC or the grocery, as opposed to requiring a trip to Total Wine. Good stuff, but not considerably better for my preference. I will say, that I think I probably ought to try a Guinness now, little Nitro system and all. As it turns out, the second one was better than the 1st, which is probably as much a variation in my sinus, mood, or otherwise as much as anything else. This, along w/ the Samuel Adams Cream Stout and the Young's Double Chocolate Stout are poised to be my top Stouts.

Bell's Java Stout:
(Rating - 87/100)

Figured I'd try this in keeping with the Stout and Bell's theme. It's not bad, but it almost tastes like alcoholic soda. I'm definitely not in favor of this over the other cream stouts, and I ended up pouring half out because I didn't care for it warm. It poured stout black, with exceedingly - in fact, infinitesimally little head. It's not going to be something I buy again.

Left Hand Milk Stout:
(Rating - 95/100)

This stout pours a similarly dark oil slick, however, with a concerted effort upon pouring produced a nice 3/4" of head which faded moderately fast and left behind an 1/8" or fairly chunked head and very persistent bands of lacing. The smell of the beer is similar, perhaps sweeter than the alternatives. There was an definite bitter quality hailing from the coffee component of some of the other creamy stout options that is noticeably

(and appreciably)
missing from this variety. After letting it warm up to me, it's further improved as the carbonation now sits nicely in the pocket for my prefererence. This is a formidable option for the cream stout category, and I'm not sure that the final determinant won't end up being price/availability in this category
(as they are mostly all quite similar)
Samuel Adams Imperial Series Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 89/100)

Another dark pour, this time with really, really tan head which chunked up and lasted considerably longer than the cream stouts which have preceded it. The smell is ... good ... and the taste is ... good, but with an artifact on exhalation. There is a flavor that is mildly aberrant for my taste, which really stands out when you breath out through your nose. It's a form of penalty for going beyond sipping, one I'm not sure I like. This isn't a cream stout, so I might be spoiled by that differentiation. In that case, Guinness might not be as good of a fit as the cream stouts, and this certainly isn't a selection I would restock either - which isn't to take anything from the product, just with regard to how personalized it is for me. In fact, I'm inclined to compliment how nicely it appears in the glass and with regard to it's physical properties and characteristics. That taste that stands out is a spice, but I can't put my finger on what it is, even as it's warmed up some. Anyways ...

Samuel Adams Hefeweizen:
(Rating - dp/100)
Ok, the next contestant up against the Ufo Hefeweizen pours a cloudy deeper orange w/ a rather nonexistent head and really only trace amounts of lacing. The scent tracks something a bit musky and there is more "hops in my face" than I want to find. As it turns out, this isn't even remotely as good as the Ufo Hefeweizen, and I'm probably going to end up having executed a pour, swirl, pour, sip, pour

(down the drain)
... not to be repeated as the mouthfeel and really even the taste are more along the lines of a Pilsner, which I don't care for.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout:
(Rating - 92/100)

After dumping out a Samuel Adams Hefeweizen, I'm happy to see this stout in my glass. It came in a can, which has some sort of device to approximate being a draft I guess, and the head retention is improved for that being the case. The smell of chocolate is clear, but not overwhelming. Also, it's not an artificial smell, but rather, subtly pleasant and inviting. Despite the excellent head retention and spotty and slowly fading lacing, the carbonation is well in check and the beer goes down really pleasantly. This will definitely be repeated, and I really, really enjoyed the persistent micro-head which was retained throughout the experience from the nitro-can.

St Peter's Cream Stout:
(Rating - 88/100)

It's becoming a bit tedious differentiating between the cream stouts. There are only really subtle differences between them, and as I begin drinking yet another, I can't help but arrive at the same conclusion that price and availability will ultimately drive future purchases, and perhaps also packaging and size? Given the option of a beer in a nitro-can versus the alternative, I'll definitely be taking the nitro route going forward wherever possible, but also serving size. The St Peter's, while pouring a remarkably similar appearance w/ similarly subdued head etc, comes in a bottle of perhaps a little bit more quantity than I want to drink normally. I also plan to reverse evaluate the alcohol percentages, in case I want to factor that into my future decisions. This beer tastes almost identical to the Sam Adams I drank immediately beforehand, although it's slightly less rich, more carbonated, and leaves behind a little bit of an additional maltiness that doesn't move me in either direction. I would say that this beer can stand in for the Samuel Adams Cream Stout, although I don't think I would seek it out ahead of it, and I'm presuming it to be more expensive - perhaps incorrectly so. If I'm not mistaken though, I'll be drinking the Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout and the Young's Double Chocolate

(in the nitro-can going forward)
Well's Banana Bread Beer:
(Rating - 76/100)

So, uhm, banana. Well, I made it through this, but I wouldn't repeat. The beer definitely had the aromatics of banana, but not bread. There is a difference between banana bread and banana, and this was definitely not the former. The taste was, well, banana flavored and at the end of the day it was just a flavored brew that doesn't need to be repeated for any reason. I'm not going to bash it, but I don't find much worthy of praise either.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout:
(Rating - 92/100)

Pours like all of the other stouts, with similar head and lacing and smell profiles. It's grown tiresome splitting hairs between such similar specimen. This time though, the head reforms a bit more readily upon agitation, and the taste has that well-rounded, spherical quality that I like to think of as resultant from a well-crafted brew. It's rich, stoutly, and the mouthfeel is pleasant while carbonated. I noticed, that the taste has a coolness even as the beer has warmed, and it's really a very nice offering and I would definitely drink another. The bottle is classic, the experience has been pleasant, and will be repeated in the future. This is my first Oatmeal Stout, and I'll look into this sub-classification more carefully in the future.

Flying Dog In Heat Hefeweizen:
(Rating - dp/100)

This smelled a little skunky, looked a tad overly orange relative to my past experiences, and is a little bit translucent for a hefe. It has a very normal beery quality as I approach it, and I'm not a fan of that. While I was doubtful that I would be able to drink it, I managed a bit better than perhaps I thought I would. The head, on pour-swirl-pour, was decent - however, once faded, could not be revived. Furthermore, there wasn't any lacing - zero, zilch. I ended up pouring the last half down the drain, not because it was terrible, but because I only have room for so much alcohol on a weekday, and I'm not using up a slot to experience anymore of this selection. Obviously, not to be repeated. In the end, it turned out to have lacing, only, across the bottom of my sink as it slithered down the drain =)

Guinness Draught
(Nitro-can)

:
(Rating - 91/100)
This was something that became obvious as I've come to love both Stout and nitro-canned beer. I bought a couple with their glassware, and was very happy with it. The resultant head from nitro-canning is much silkier and perhaps creamy. The beer itself didn't have quite as much stout smell as many of the microbrewery options I've been drinking, but it was fairly sweet and almost devoid of carbonation - a plus in my book. It was very easy for me to drink, perhaps the easiest of all beers to date, and will certainly have a place on my roster at all times. I'm happy to have found another beer that could be purchased from the grocery store as well, and also to have found something that should be available at almost any restaurant etc. Hooray for Guinness.

Sierra Nevada Stout:
(Rating - 88/100)

They say a lot of what's become, began with Sierra Nevada ... for the sake of completion, I felt it necessary to try their stout offering. For the pour, I aimed for and achieved head which peaked just at the top of the Guinness glass that I chose to drink from. The head was pillowy and toffee colored, and the translucency is as expected for a stout. The lacing is noticeably persistent, and a very thin layer of head remains throughout the experience. The mouthfeel is nice, but the stout bites back a little bit and it's a little more coarse than I prefer. Like the Samuel Adams Imperial Stout from last weekend, I have a feeling this is a very nice brew, just not tailored for me

(as seems to be the case all too often)
Bohemia:
(Rating - 91/100)

Firstly, I drank this straight out of the bottle while I was tending to the coals for today's BBQ. It's a fair comparison anyways, since it is really up against the Negro Modelo and perhaps the Dead Guy Ale. The first thing I thought to myself was, "sweet - who fixed the lime in my beer?" ... this beer tastes like a Negro Modelo processed with a slice of lime, and really, was very good. I'd need to go head to head against a Negro M. to know which I like better, but they certainly aren't far apart. There's probably an availability advantage to the Negro Modelo.

Murphy's Irish Stout Draught
(Nitro-can)

:
(Rating - 94/100)
Had this with my burger and some chips and salsa, poured from the nitro-can into a glass. The beer was exactly the same in appearance as so many of the other stouts, but, the head was a little silkier yet and there was more of a black and white sensation as the head wasn't as toffee colored. The beer is so smooth it's insane, awesomely so to be honest, and I think that I can't even find carbonation if I'm trying. It's kind of thin, but in a way that makes it quenching and worthy of session usage. I could definitely drink this beer in quantity, and I think I like it a notch better than the Guinness. Wow, I keep finding a new favorite ... viva la variety, baby! Coming back to this selection, now a week later, I'm still very fond of this selection from the nitro-can. Better than the Guinness for sure.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager:
(Rating - dp/100)

Poured dark and made it's way down the drain via single sip.

Widmer Hefeweizen:
(Rating - dp/100)

Poured into a classic hefe appearance via pour-swirl-pour. There was some rather unremarkable head, with minimal lacing. The beer was below average for this style, and after about 1/3 I decided to send it down the drain instead of wasting the time and/or calories on it. Nothing like a Ufo Hefeizen, not even in the same league. Turns out I do not like a strong presence of hops in my hefe, and the citrusy bite wasn't appreciated either. Not to be repeated, obviously.

Shipyard Blue Fin Stout:
(Rating - 96/100)

Poured a dark stout w/ a pillowy toffee colored head. The taste is good, similar to the other good stouts I've had. It has a little bite, but at once is not bitter or otherwise offensive. This is definitely a beer I would drink again, although I must profess my preference for the stouts in the nitro-cans. That being said, it's got a hint of mocha and maybe a little chocolate - definitely more of a milk chocolate than dark chocolate, if present at all to be honest. I'm really not sure I'm picking up on chocolate, my first impression was definitely coffee. Anyways, this is good stuff for sure. Coming back to this review a week later, with another in hand, I'm still really enjoying this selection. This is definitely a great stout!

Bell's Expedition Stout:
(Rating - 94/100)

Poured dark and with a thick and pillowy dark toffee-colored head. The smell upon approach is strongly coffee/chocolate and perhaps a little bit of licorice. The lacing is definite, and persistent. The mouthfeel is extremely thick and the carbonation is nonexistent. While it draws my face a little bit, it's to be expected for ~10% ABV, and really it's fairly well masked. This is definitely a serious stout, but I didn't like it as much as it warmed, and I would definitely opt for drinking from a double-walled glass to keep the brew cold until I could make my way through it. It's definitely complex, the richest stout I've tried to date, and yet another fine offering from Bell's Brewery! I'll have to get this one again and take this experience into consideration in proceeding ...

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout:
(Rating - 93/100)

A day later since I drank the Expedition Stout, the Kalamazoo Stout is virtually identical without being able to compare side-by-side. I mean, it's definitely less thick and with less ABV, but the taste is remarkably similar otherwise. It poured as one has come to expect from just about every stout, with a chunkier head than most. This beer was good, and it could be repeated for variation, however, I definitely preferred the Guinness from the nitro-can that I consumed immediately following it.

Rogue Chocolate Stout:
(Rating - 96/100)

This beer smelled of the best chocolate yet, poured with an ample toffee-colored head that was thick and creamy, and the lacing was very persistent. The taste was very well-crafted, balanced, and I definitely enjoyed it - such that I said "mmm dessert beer" aloud to Tasha ... I will definitely keep a couple of these bombers in stock, and this is definitely the top contender for a chocolate or coffee inspired brew. Where the Guinness is light and absurdly sessionable, this beer is rich and a bomber in a sitting would probably be about all one could handle. I definitely preferred this over the Young's, despite the nitro-can, and the "best of" class is becoming pretty clear of late. Well done, Rogue.

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 95/100)

See review of Bell's Epxedition Stout and this is the same. It's strong, pours with the chunkier head like the Rogue Chocolate or Bell's Expedition and tastes very similar. These ~10% ABV Imperial stouts are not sessionable and I won't be stocking them. I'll keep some Rogue Chocolate Stout, but mostly drink Guinness and/or Murphy's from the nitro-cans from what I can tell thus far.

Rogue XS Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 94/100)

Love the packaging, hate the price ... love the appearance but unfortunately ultimately let down by the experience. This beer poured with ample toffee colored head, head which remained well into consuming the glass I poured into a Guinness glass. The taste was good, certainly, but I just can't figure out the price tag. I couldn't find anything that stands out as being any better than a number of the stouts I've had in the past few weeks, so I'm pretty sure this won't be repeated, ever. The second serving was better, which is odd, because I lost track of the bottle and it's been 5 days since I opened it. I guess the stout style keeps fairly well with the rubber stopper.

Red Hook db Double Black:
(Rating - 91/100)

Pours jet black with completely insignificant head and/or lacing. The approach hints at coffee, but upon tasting it's much more subdued than one would expect based on the packaging. There is a bit of a sharpness that I normally don't appreciate, however, it fits within the overall experience in this instance and I'm kind of enjoying it tonight. Usually bitterness comes on late in this category, but in this case the bite is early and fades into a pleasant finish. It's surprisingly good as it turns out, and while I don't think I'll be repeating with any regularity, it's very decent nonetheless.

Harpoon IPA:
(Rating - 91/100)

I poured this a few moments ago, into a large crystal wine glass, expecting it to be a drain pour in a "making room" expedition. To my surprise, it poured with minimalish head and lacing, and has a corn taste reminiscent of an authentic Mexican, unprocessed soft corn tortilla. It's a bit surreal, but at once pretty pleasant in the hotness of summer. I'm not sure I like this above Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, but it's genuinely another fine offering from the Harpoon Brewery - with their Ufo Hefeweizen being my favorite non-stout variety altogether.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager:
(Rating - dp/100)

Poured and poured, probably nothing wrong, but I wasn't in the mood and it's not a preferred style of mine. Can't take up refrigerated space on beer that I don't like - not when there are so many great one's available!

Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale:
(Rating - 92/100)

So, I've been wondering about this for a couple of weeks. It's been parked on the door to my fridge and has been passed over numerous times - however, I thought it would make a nice accompaniment to the blackened chicken chimichanga from Tijuana Flats. It poured from the bomber into an insulated glass with a fairly small amout of white head, which dissipated very quickly. The beer is kind of electric orange and appears similar to how I recall the Rogue Imperial Pilsner looked. Unfortunately, for me, the comparison ends there. The Imperial Pilsner from Rogue was rich with sophistication and had extremely distinction in terms of taste complexity. This is very simple, and doesn't challenge the senses whatsoever. If you just want a beer to accompany chicken or seafood or such, and want to let the meal do the talking, this might be a good choice. If you are sitting down to experience a brew however, I'm finding this selection lacking in anything remarkable. It's probably a decent contender as a session beer, although I'd rather drink Bohemia clasica or Dead Guy Ale most any day, or so it seems.

Harpoon's Ufo Raspberry Hefeweizen:
(Rating - 89/100)

For the record, the "best by" date was 5 days prior to my trying this bottle tonight. I don't think it'll be a big deal, and I love the regular Ufo Hefeweizen from Harpoon, so I'm going to give it a go. Turns out, it's quite good, even after it's date. The beer poured w/ a sudsy, chunky head, and after a definite pour-swirl-pour, it's properly cloudy and strikingly similar in appearance to ice tea. The scent of the raspberry is somewhat delightful, mildly out of place, but overall very inviting. The taste is interesting, and more subdued than the smell, which is probably a good thing. It's really refreshing, and I think I kind of like it to be honest - but furthermore, it's another experience of a totally unique kind of brewing under my belt. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or not, or even whether or not I would prefer this over the regular Ufo hefeweizen, but I definitely like it. I'd like to get to try this selection again, hopefully well in advance of it's "sell by" date next time, and see it at it's best. It's definitely session worthy here in Florida in the summer, and I could see myself doing some damage to a 6-pack on a night where we're having Mexican food - much like I used to enjoy raspberry margaritas!

Lost Coast Brewery's 8-ball Stout:
(Rating - 97/100)

Pours as to be expected, which a light toffee-colored pillowy head. It's very thick on the tongue and has a rich dark chocolate taste. It's smooth, lacks bitterness, and is VERY nice. I am definitely going to get more of this, and I think it knocks down the venerable Milk Stout from Left Hand ... I seriously wish I had bought a 6-pack, I could drink these all night.

Weyerbacher's Old Heathen Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 98/100)

In a couple word I'll describe this stout as thick and chewy. At first I was taken aback, however, it's really very nice. The brew poured as is typical for a stout, with the head being dark toffee colored and relatively quick to fade. That being said, the lacing on the glass was persistent, and very sticky. The smell as one approaches the glass is a sweeter, milkier chocolate, and the taste is really very appealing. There is a thickness, something I found in Bell's Expedition, but without the ABV to "thin" it's sensation back out. This is really enjoyable cold, and I assume it will only improve as it breathes and warms. Something about this variety is reminding me of the fabulously smooth and spherical experience when I tried Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, so I'm left to wonder if there isn't an oat component to this variety? ...

Rogue Dad's Little Helper:
(Rating - 83/100)

So, I've had this bomber for a couple of weeks now, and I haven't been particularly interested in evaluating it because I don't think malt liquor is a brew form that I really appreciate. I'm unable to compare this to commercial options, like Old English or Schlitz or ???, because I've never drank them! It poured a goldenrod yellow with a medium volume of rapidly disintegrating head, and left behind only trace amounts of lacing on the glass. The taste is hard for me to describe, I want to say "just beer," though. I didn't really care for it, although I didn't pour it down the drain either, so there is that. It won't be repeated, and since I've been pleased with many of the Rogue selections, I think I can categorically eliminate malt liquors from my field of interest without risking missing out on much.

Authentic Food Artisan's Old Plowshare Stout
(Organic)

:
(Rating - 83/100)
So, finally, a stout which poured something slightly different. This beer I noticed I could see through the liquid more than most of the other stouts I've had in the past month or so - too bad in effect, it's also really light in texture - annoyingly so. Where the Weyerbacher's was chewy, this would be akin to skim-stout if we're comparing to milk percentages. The smell is appropriate, the taste is a little more carbonated than I prefer, and the texture is far too light for me, as mentioned previously. The head was light toffee-colored, faded almost immediately, and didn't leave behind much in the way of lacing throughout consumption. It's drinkable, especially this far along in the evening, but it's not something I'll ever replace - definitely not. In all fairness, as it warmed and some of the carbonation dissipated, my experience improved - something I've come to expect from many of the stout options - but the best of them taste good from the outset!

Hoppin' Frog's B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 97/100)

Poured a jet black oil slick w/ a dark, dark toffee colored head which faded relatively quickly. The scent hovering above the brew is intense, probably in part from the 9.4% ABV, and the taste is chewy and of a definite chocolate inclination. It's really, really palatable for the ABV, and this is a nice option to keep around provided Total Wine continues to carry it. I don't know why, perhaps because it's slightly warming, but I can't help but imagine how pleasant this would be on a crisp and cool evening. I really hope Total Wine keeps this around, as I'd like to be able to stock it.

Schneider Weisse Hefeweizen:
(Rating - dp/100)

I figured I hadn't tried anything I knew to be finished in the bottle, and have had this occupying shelf space in the fridge - and it's hot today - so I poured some up. It poured dark, and not very hazy. Surprised, I took a sip and then discarded it when I couldn't appreciate the mouthfeel or metallic taste. I'm not sure I can see how this relates to any of the other hefeweizen I've had to date. Who really cares what the head or lacing were like to be honest ...

Rogue Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale:
(Rating - dp/100)

I bought this, out of my style preference, out of sheer support for 1)

the show, and 2) because Rogue has so many other wonderful creations I don't want to miss anything. Ended up as a drain pour, not surprisingly, and had a weird spiciness. No need to describe the physical characteristics as I wasn't a fan.
Aecht Schlenferla Rauchbier:
(Rating - dp/100)

I figured, while drain pouring, why not open up this smoked beer, and sure enough that was it's fate. The very smell was nauseating, but I put the bottle to my lips and suffered through a tiny sip and then poured it down the drain after Capt. Sig's Ale. How fucking disgusting, I wouldn't even cook with that shit ...

Cigar City Brewery's Bolita Brown Double Brown Nut Ale:
(Rating - /100)

Wow. This is a very unique crafting. The beer pours a dark brown, with short-lived head, and very little to almost no lacing. The smell is that of roasted malt, chocolate, and brown sugar ... maybe even nut, although I might be projecting a little given the name/label. The taste is smokey and splendid, really. I find my beer palette expanded by this selection, much as it was when I drank Rogue's Imperial Pilsner some time back. The taste is complex and sophisticated, but not such that anything in particular drowns out the rest of the flavors. I really, really enjoyed this, and the ABV is well hidden in a what is ultimately a very palatable brew. Kudos to Cigar City, it's a treat to have them locally.

Rogue Shakespeare Stout:
(Rating - dp/100)

Gross, drain-poured, what a disappointment from one of my favorite breweries! There was anything remarkable for me worth describing here.

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale:
(Rating - 98/100)

From the second I poured this beer I knew it was a masterpiece. The head rose easily three fingers tall, and remained solidly most of a finger while I worked my way (quickly) through the first 16oz of the bomber. The color of the beer was dark, kind of amber, and the head had a tint of darker orange. The taste was (for me) incredible, and surprisingly and delightfully pleasant despite the 9% ABV. While BBQ'ing this Florida summer afternoon, I couldn't have asked for anything more perfect, and this is a genuine winner from Rogue. Thankfully too, as the Shakespeare Stout kind of smarted as I drain-poured it. I'll definitely replace this bottle, and have a couple of these around while it's in production.

Dogfish Head Sah'tea:
(Rating - dp/100)

Well, I was anticipating this experience. I love chai tea, and I'm an avid loose leaf tea collector. That being said, I couldn't get into this "tangent," not even a little. I drain poured it, begrudgingly, and chalked it up to experience. I'd love to try Dogfish Head's stout offering, but it's not available to me, so it would appear I haven't been able to find a single selection from them that I find palatable. Unfortunate, it would seem.

Stone Russian Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 97/100)

I've been sitting on this bottle for no good reason, and tonight, after pouring out yet another Dogfish Head beer, I'm looking to Stone to come through with something fierce to make-up for the failed Sah'tea. The beer pours typical in appearance, however, the head was even less prominent than is usual. This is a very dark stout, with a very limited amount of deep toffee-colored lacing. The texture is think and kind of slick, perhaps oily to an extent. The taste is intense and fills my sinuses with a rich bouquet. This is a serious beer - I'd probably prefer to share this bomber with someone else - and I'm afraid of how this session might draw out over the evening, sip by sip. Still though, it's really tasty ... really, really tasty. Imperials are a little more than I like for general consumption, but this is definitely my favorite imperial stout to date, clearly crushing the Sam Adams I once tried. I'd keep a single bomber in stock, for the day when I want the uber-stout.

Stone Ruination:
(Rating - dp/100)

Beer poured darker orange, had a funky fart-like smell upon approach that just couldn't be overcome. There was a strange citrusy aftertaste that was unique, but not intriguing enough to overcome the smell. Drain-poured and not to be rated or repeated.

Belhaven Brewery Scottish Stout:
(Rating - 94/100)

This was good, poured as one expects a stout will, toffee-colored head and all - quickly receding. The taste is good, nothing to jump for joy over, but actually well-rounded and nice. It's not going to become my go to stout, but it stands up for itself and lacks nothing either.

North Coast Brewing Co's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout:
(Rating - 93/100)

This was another chewy stout, but it lacks some elements that I really like in the Weyerbacher Old Heathen Stout. It's good, typical in appearance, but I can't rate it as highly for what it doesn't have.

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales - Madrugada Obscura (Dark Dawn Stout):
(Rating - 91/100)

Ok,so ... this is an atypical stout for me. One of my favorite features of stouts in the broad, is their subdued carbonation and smooth mouthfeel. This crafting, however, needs time in the glass to settle out and warm up before I can really find pleasure in it. It pours with an unexpectedly voluminous head that forms late, and in one case, overflowed my Guinness glass a bit! The smell upon approach is pleasant, kind of sweet, but there is something like turned fruit in the taste that I just don't care for - and it sticks out both cold and warmed. This is a unique stout, but it's just not my gig. That taste might be plum?

Delirium Nocturnum:
(Rating - dp/100)

Seriously, no way I'm drinking that. Dark, almost spicy - down the drain.

Blue Moon:
(Rating - 96/100)

This beer is really good, and it's refreshingly light. I executed a nice pour-swirl-pour and the resulting beverage was soft and very palatable. The head faded about as quickly as is to be expected, and the beer disappeared in minutes. I could session this beer easily, and I think I'll have to shoot it out against the Ufo Hefeweizen. It's readily available at the regular grocery store, which I consider to be a perk, so that is also a good thing and stands in it's favor.

Blue Moon's Honey Moon:
(Rating - 96/100)

I don't think I like this quite as much as the regular Blue Moon, however, it's also very good and a perfect match for my specific preferences in a beverage. It poured essentially unchanged from the regular Blue Moon, and there was a "body" in the aftertaste which is kind of reminiscent of honey, I guess. I'm not sure it's really honey, but it's definitely something additional on top of the regular Blue Moon - and it's good, too. I can't rate this any differently than the Blue Moon.

Stone Thirteenth Anniversary Ale:
(Rating - /100)

Cigar City Brewery's Improvicasion:
(Rating - 94/100)

This is difficult to rate for me. Firstly, it's a hop-forward 9%. I normally don't care for a prominence of hops, as a rule and a personal preference, and so I feel like I'm giving a very subjective review. It pours dark brown, with a finger or so of tan-colored head, and a unique aroma that wafted up to my nose from the glass down on the counter. There is a unique, kind of toasty smell, which might be from the rye, that I'm unaccustomed to finding in beer, but which at once seems familiar. The initial taste is hops, period - but the shock, the complexity of the malt flavor is varied and appreciable. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, and there is a chewy thickness that I'm used to finding only in the best of the stouts. This is going to be a mission sipping my way through a 750ml bottle, but one I think I'll come to enjoy more as I get further along. It's not my style, but I feel that it's expanded my cumulative experience once more. Nicely done by Cigar City Brewery.

tctenten said:
Is Tascha the bff before Danielle?

That is pretty impressive that you would take the time to do that.
Yeah, lol ... I still work w/ Tasha ...
Ozzy2001 said:
Lol I'm not the least bit surprised to see you had done that.
That was my first 'really trying' craft beer ... circa 2006 ...
RocketMan said:
Dang GM, you writing the next great Beer Novella?

[emoji41][emoji481][emoji481][emoji41]
my old notes, lol ...
Bumper said:
What? ;)

Election year's are always really slow in terms of the permits pulled for SFH-New-Construction, here, but it's a little bit worse than usual this time - probably the shit-show that is Trump ...

I considered my 40-hr/week take-home and I can survive the Summer without too much trouble, with some lifestyle changes in terms of shopping, and am fortunate to already have a shit-ton of ingredients here at the house ...

My biggest concern now is making sure that I end up a better homebrewer, and not an alcoholic ...

Looks like I'll kick it up again this weekend ...

Back