• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

reptiles

All spiders creep me out. I can look at them and whatnot but wouldn't really want to hold one. I wouldn't faint if one was on me but I wouldn't care for it either. Weird, considering I had some scorpions.

nice baby spiders. how many babies per brood?

IMG_5679are.jpg

Not aggressive at all. In fact they are one of the more nervous, run and hide tarantula's I've ever owned. If you shine a light on them or touch the table their container is on they start fleeing and looking for a place to hide. They do have one of the more potent venom though and aren't something to play with in my opinion. Can't kill you, no tarantula can, but can make you wish you were dead for a little bit.

Tarantulas are one of the few things I really wouldn't want to get bit by, the size of the chelicerae is scary. I've been hit by a Bullet ant, once, Brown Recluse, 3 times, scorpion 4 times. The most insanely painfull was the Bullet ant, the recluse was most problematic & the longest lasting 7 months, the scorpians were all centeroides ssp, intense pain but, very short lived . another creatrure I really wouldn't like to get bit by is a large Scolopendra centipede, I used to keep Gigantea & a few other ssp, they were all very aggresive. All the centipedes I've found here have been timid. here's one I found in the spare room, I would never handle any of the ones I used to own.
CIMG0755.jpg

siling it depends entirely upon the species of tarantula. They can range from around 50 for some species to over 2,000 for others. The most I've had in one sac was a little over 600. I had a friend open a sac in front of me once that had over 1700 in it. When he made the slit in the sac they came pouring out like a waterfall, it was cool as hell.

solar1 dude you've been tagged way more than I have, just once so far. You're right about the 'pedes I wouldn't want to get hit by one of them. Crazy fangs, they evolved a pair of their front legs into fangs. That is freaking wild. Always said I'd never own one. Right. The one we have now is about six inches long and fat, about the size of an adult man's middle finger. I think it's getting ready to molt, it hasn't eaten for a while. That is the one thing in the collection that I don't mess with. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Never got tagged from anything in my collection.......well if I did I probably wouldn't be here. Did come close with a Suphan Cobra. Heart-stopping.

i used to work for a pet shop for around 4 and a half years and used to have

korean firebelly toads
fowler toad
common toad
leopard frogs
bullfrog
african clawed frogs
cuban tree frogs
green tree frogs
grean anole (of which the cubans tree frogs promtly ate)

i miss having them but havnt got the time anymore

thanks your friend joe

i used to work for a pet shop for around 4 and a half years and used to have

korean firebelly toads
fowler toad
common toad
leopard frogs
bullfrog
african clawed frogs
cuban tree frogs
green tree frogs
grean anole (of which the cubans tree frogs promtly ate)

i miss having them but havnt got the time anymore

thanks your friend joe

A few of the things you've listed I've caught in the wild:
Fowlers toad
common toad
leapard frog
bullfrog
cuban tree frog
green anole, I've caught about 8 different ssp. of anole

As a kid growing up in El Paso, Texas, I used to catch horny toads (horned-lizards) and box turtles (desert tortoise) quite often. They made great pets. Sometimes I would find a type of desert tortoise we called snapping turtles. They were similar to the box turtles, but were very aggressive and viscous. Nobody wanted these demons as pets because they would shred your arms with their claws if you picked them up and they snapped like possessed piranhas. Sure wish I had pictures of those guys to show. Sadly, I have a feeling the horny toads and turtles are not as common anymore.

I had a snapper for a pet when I was a kid. Found it at a small lake, it was about two inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. Kept it for about 6 years. It got to about dinner plate size and my dad got nervous at feeding time so he gave it away. They are indeed a brutal tough critter.

Caught one once in a farm pond. I'd say about two and a half feet from tips of nose to tail. Heavy bodied, almost like they're armored. Had a hook shaped mouth that would have happily taken every finger off if it could have gotten close enough. Turned it into soup. Caught it on a fishing line. Shot it in the head twice with a .22 magnum from point blank range. Carrying it by the tail a couple of hours later you had to hold it away from your body or it would have clamped on and taken a nice big piece of meat out of you. Too tough to die for a long time.

Here's a couple for your viewing pleasure. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jaredite.com/images/2004/snapping_turtles.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.jaredite.com/thoughts_may2004.html&usg=__xPK0VINw97Jt-8vWcDjKUBCyyXg=&h=307&w=409&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=EfDXtMn4vHyywM:&tbnh=169&tbnw=230&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dworld%2Brecord%2Bsnapping%2Bturtle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D867%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=393&vpy=132&dur=1599&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=165&ty=76&ei=34WdTI3TAsndngfSlIGtDQ&oei=UIWdTOWVOMP68AaFm82CDQ&esq=14&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

The adder is probably the easiest snake Ive kept. Ive had 2 others but they were in transit and had the same demeanor.
It's placid and calm and responds well to me cleaning, has a feeding record second to none. Its taken to captivity well, and coming up to feed day still does the caudal luring thing! Top of her head and tail only visible. Never get tired of watching it.

But...it's also the one hot that Im most cautious around. Fastest strike rate of any snake in the world and even a semi-dry bite will almost guarantee renal failure in old age. So I give her utmost respect. If I didnt live within 20kms from a hospital, I wouldn't have her. Make sense of all that... ;)
John Deutscher (respected keeper here in Aus) got tagged by a little one and suffered badly. This article is him taking the piss..

Fer de Lance are like Eastern Browns and Taipans... I wouldnt have them in a collection. Too feisty, too aggressive and I cant be arsed dealing with that :beer:
I get enough of that with my Bredli haha

There is something fundamentally wrong with raising an animal that could and would kill you if given the chance...;)

A few of the things you've listed I've caught in the wild:
Fowlers toad
common toad
leapard frog
bullfrog
cuban tree frog
green anole, I've caught about 8 different ssp. of anole

yes actually i did catch the leopard,bull and common toads but the other i bought

i live in PA and we dont have anoles and fowlers are now protected here as i think there almost extinct im my state
i was more of a tropical fish man

thanks your friend joe

I like LOOKING at them, and thats about it. Its kinda like when people want you to feel sorry for someone that has died after falling off of the side of a rock face they were attempting to climb. WHY feel sorry for them? THEY put THEMSELVES in danger!! lol I like snakes, but would NEVER own anything poisonous. Wouldnt mind it if someone I knew had them, but MY ass aint touchin' em!
And spiders? Lets not even go there....Ever seen the Simpson's? You know how Ned Flander's screams? Ummmmmmmm, yeah.

There is something fundamentally wrong with raising an animal that could and would kill you if given the chance...;)

:lol: You'd be surprised just how docile snakes in captivity are. Pound for pound, they would have to be the most boring animals you could have too!

Oh, and now the weather is turning and nights are warming up here, it'll be time to make some night herp trips!

Last season was one of the best in years, and a spot west of Brisbane (Mt. Glorious) never fails to impress. Especially on warm nights and after a storm.
On this one trip we saw Carpet and Spotted Pythons, geckoes, frogs, Red Bellied Black snakes, and.... my favourite....

gcs1f.jpg

gcs1d.jpg

These Golden Crowned snakes are common and they ALL throw this display on despite no provocation!

Oh, and now the weather is turning and nights are warming up here, it'll be time to make some night herp trips!

Last season was one of the best in years, and a spot west of Brisbane (Mt. Glorious) never fails to impress. Especially on warm nights and after a storm.
On this one trip we saw Carpet and Spotted Pythons, geckoes, frogs, Red Bellied Black snakes, and.... my favourite....

gcs1f.jpg

gcs1d.jpg

These Golden Crowned snakes are common and they ALL throw this display on despite no provocation!

Very pretty snake!
You don't know how much I envy you, I would love to go herping there. Carpets are one of my favorite snakes.
here's a baby from one of the pairs I bred, It's the only pic I have on the pc right now, a friend of mine is scanning some of my old pics for me now.
scan0006.jpg

the following is some snakes I found down here, I never seem to have a camera with me when I find the awesome snakes.

thid is a false Fer de Lance,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-2.jpg

A false coral,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-5.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-3.jpg

A true coral, they are extremely nervous/aggressive here, all the corals I've encountered in the US were very calm.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-8.jpg

Woah! :eek: That false Coral is just stunning! I assume they are a colubrid yeah?

And what kind of Carpet is it? It looks like a Jungle Carpet (that high yellow down toward the tail), but the upper part looks like Darwin locale?!

Woah! :eek: That false Coral is just stunning! I assume they are a colubrid yeah?

And what kind of Carpet is it? It looks like a Jungle Carpet (that high yellow down toward the tail), but the upper part looks like Darwin locale?!

It's a colubrid, Erythrolamprus bizono, I think I spelled that correct, my memory aint what it used to be, they're mildly venomous but all the ones I've found have been very mellow unlike the false Fer de Lance, which is venomous also but very nervous.
Yes, it's a Jungle. All the really high yellow babys got sold (more $$$) I used to breed 2 phases of Coastals, Jungles, Diamond X Jungle

It's a colubrid, Erythrolamprus bizono, I think I spelled that correct, my memory aint what it used to be, they're mildly venomous but all the ones I've found have been very mellow unlike the false Fer de Lance, which is venomous also but very nervous.
Yes, it's a Jungle. All the really high yellow babys got sold (more $$$) I used to breed 2 phases of Coastals, Jungles, Diamond X Jungle

Has it got the typical Jungle attitude? :lol:

Do folks overseas have Bredli pythons? I know that most of the other Carpet pythons are popular. We aren't allowed to cross breed here, but I recently saw a beautiful Bredli x Diamond at an acquaintances house.
6weeks ago I picked up a hypomelanistic Bredli (a steal at $175!) that should colour up nicely in time. He's a bit over 6mths now. His mother is just on 3metres and weighs 11kg, so I hope he loses his attitude sharpish!!
In the pic it does look like he's got black near his tail, but there's not a speck on him.

OliverSM.jpg

Oh yeah it's got the typical Jungle attitude, that pic was in between strikes.
that Bredli is beautiful, they're EXTREMELY RARE, in the US, the owners can be counted on 1 hand. I often wondered how common or rare hypomelanism was in Bredli, it seems to me all the pics Ive seen & the 1 in person, seemed to lean toward hypomelanism, not to say they had no black, but very little.

Back