• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

rhm3769's 2014-in the ground!

So I'm setting aside 12 plants to attempt an overwintering.... looking at having 45 plants for 2014....
Plants I'm overwintering, 4 unlabelled supers that didn't produce, pimenta de neyde, purple flash, butch t, two unlabelled ornamentals from ajijoe, another unlabelled ornamental and pequin.
I have 11 varieties I'm waiting on from a sasbe offer here: super chili, aji pineapple, bishops crown, brazilian starfish, 7-pot jonah, datil, chocolate hab, f2 yellow fatali x red savina, and three wilds, c04392, c01225 and tc07246.

I have seeds saved from my last two seasons for orange manzano, rocoto amarillo, an okinawan variety, white habanero, golden habanero, tazmanian habanero, scotch bonnet, jamaican mushroom, yellow fatali, serrano, santa fe grande, aji limon and a few others.... I have to narrow down what I'm growing from my saved seeds....

Raised beds same as last year, about 4'x4', 9 plants per bed.... thinking I'm gonna go back to miracle gro, my first season in 1 gallon containers with miracle gro was better than this last one with fish emulsion and seaweed extract in raised beds....

20131206_170657.jpg

My 12 saved plants....
The lighter green ones, the four grouped together on the left front side are my unlabeled supers.... far back left is the unlabeled ornamental.... butch t far back right.... right side, front is pimenta de neyde, then one from ajijoe then the purple flash.... the middle three, front is one from ajijoe, and a pequin and another from ajijoe

Its 57 on the garage floor right now, 41 outside.... hoping I'm able to give them some sun tomorrow before they're stuck in the garage all weekend....
If this doesn't kill them, they wouldn't survive past tuesday morning, forecasted to drop to 25.... in so cal, 25, really?

It got down into the 30s last night, garage hovered mid 40s.... so far nothing shows any signs of shock from the transplant....
Most should have went into something considerably bigger than a solo cup, the root balls almost completely fill them, and some had surprising deep roots for as small as they were....
It gives me a chance to completely weed out the beds and attempt to retill....
Gonna add in more vermiculite, gro mulch and worm castings and get around to some weed fabric or plastic or something....

Back to the ones I pulled up.... they went into solo cups with a mulchy potting soil, a strong but small ami unt if seaweed extract and a bit of water to force it down and moisten the soil.... the next few days ill move them back outside for a few hours of sun and repeat until it starts to warm up....

So it didn't get as cold as expected around my yard, at least.... fatalis are starting to ripen....

One of the plants is starting to droop.... not enough water, or root damage and shock, not sure which yet....

Good luck on the over winters - that's a nice selection to save.

If a plant gets shocky a little B-1 might help - not really a fertilizer.

The one that is droopy is a super.... only one to pod up this season, whuch I noticed after I got it in the cup.... would have left it in thr ground if I saw the pod beforehand....
Everything else with pods are ripening....
If I knew it wouldn't be as cold as the forecasts, I would have left sll of them in the ground a few more days at least.... only reason I'm not bringing in the fatali is I thinnk its big enough to survive a trim and cut back.... will get new pics up later....

Sprayed everything last night, found a lot of what looks like salt on the leaves, but pretty sure they're some kind of eggs....

Thanks. I've been told there are a few days down here with frost, even to only need to cover the plants.... but we had quite a few days already this week where frost was predicted.... figured if its starting this early, might as well pot a few plants and move indoors during the night....
It gives me the chance to redo the beds, at least....

I think you are smart - only takes one really cold night to mess up
some plants.  Plus, re-do on the beds is a bonus!

Putting the finishing touches on my grow list.... looking at 5 beds with 9 plants each, no duplicate strains.... I have seed for those being overwintered, so if they dont make it, they will be replaced.... with the exception of my unlabelled seeds acquired in trades....

How do you force a plant that is budding to flower with pollen when trying to overwinter? My butch t has 30+ buds on it.... going hydro or putting it under lights is not an option....
Started looking around at other glog starts, I've decided to mix my own starting mix.... got some of the starting medium that came with my burpee 72 cell germ tray, some miracle gro moisture control potting soil and some kellogg potting soil.... gonna mix those together, add in a bit of vermiculite and use that.... there is very little of the mg soil, not enough to use for anyghing else.... I'm planning on getting everything mixed and the starting tray cleaned up and ready to go for next weekend....

Once I figure out where my photobucket app went....
Unknown ornamental in the back, pequin in the front.

Butch t

The salt/eggs/ihavenoidea....

Unjnown from ajijoe

Hnjnown from ajijoe.... check out the purpling of the calyx...

On geyting winter pods, I doubt it. Its only slightly cooler than my last season in okinawa, the few winter pods I did get there were extremely undersized.... like santa fe grandes the size of white habs.... I'm hoping having the plants inside at nught will help, but the garage isn't heated....
Most have already started dropping leaves like crazy, too....

Plants will drop a few leaves with a change of more extreme situations
like going from a cold to a warm spot.  As long as there is good light, they
will like the warmth better than the cold!

If the white stuff is not eggs of some kind, maybe it's edema from too much 
water.

Its not exactly a warm spot, its just warmer in the garage at night than being outside, still cold but warmer.... I was expecting more leave drop sooner than a week from shock....
The white stuff isn't powdery and it isn't stuck to the leaves, I'm just noticing it more due to the lack of wind to rustle the leaves and shake it off....
Its been a good two weeks since they've been watered, other than watering in the seaweed extract to moisten the soil in the solo cups.... they were due for a watering regardless as the ground was dry when I took them out....

Attempting to find time to get my grow list up tonight...
Overwinters:
Purple flash (don't think it is foing to survive)
Butch T
Pequin
Pimenta de neyde
3 ornamentals from ajijoe
4 unlabeled supers
Unlabeled ornamental

Seed stock:
Orange manzano
Rocoto amarillo
Serrano
Sanra fe grande
White habanero
Okinawan hot pepper
Jamaican mushroom
Aji limon
Peter
Scotch bonnet
Japone
Tazmanian habanero
Yellow fatali
Cgn21500
Golden habanero
Firecracker
Hot jamaican
Crimson torpedo
Trinidad scorpion (not butch t strain)
More unlabeled supers

Trades on the way:
Super chili
Aji pineapple
Bishops crown
Brazilian starfish
7 pot jonah
Datil
Fatali x red savina F2
C04392
C01225
TC07246
Congo black (?)

School's finished until jan.... gonna clean up the starting tray this week, mix up my starting and temporary growing mix and drop seeds for what I have, hoping the trades arrive this week, as well but it'll probably be after Christmas....

Allright!  v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n!  I remember those days   :party:

Great grow list, Ricky!  Have fun getting those new trades
in the ground.

Back