• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's Glog - Starting Second Season

Finally getting around to germinating my seeds to start growing some peppers. I took 14 varities out of the 42 in my seed library (Special thanks to everyone that helped out with seeds) and some of the old pill bottles I had saved (usually that's where I keep the screws I collect when I strip out an old computer system) then added 8 seeds to the bottles and filled with water. Going to let the seeds soak for 24 hours, then place on coffee filters and back into the bottles till its time to plant them. Here's a shot on the bottles:

34e7f62d.jpg

The 14 I picked are:

1. Peruvian White Hab......................Pic1
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate...............Pic1
3. Douglah......................................Pic1
4. Fatalii.........................................Pic1
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T............Pic1
6. Datil...........................................Pic1
7. Red Savina Hab..........................Pic1
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet......Pic1
9. Chocolate Hab............................Pic1
10. Black Hab................................Pic1
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow...........Pic1
12. 7/Pot Red................................Pic1
13. Bhut Jolokia.............................Pic1
14. No heat Jalapeno.....................FyrDad4
*Thank you Gentlemen

I really wanted to get a nice cross section of heat levels and to grow some peppers that I hear alot of talk about but can't find locally. most of them will be going into sauces however if I happen to get a really good crop of peppers I might have to look into drying some and making some powders. This is the first year that I'm growing peppers from seeds. I've planted Jalapeno and Habs that I picked up from Lowes or Home Depot before but never really done the research and gotten the dirt under my fingers.
I thought about whether to use Peat Pellets or Rock Wool but right now i'm thinking about just going with some good soil or a seed starting mix and I already have a bunch of Red Solo Cups. I'm planning on 6 or 8 holes in the bottom of the cup so I can bottom water them and I might place some up and down the sides so that some air can get in.

I'm really looking forward to this and if it goes good I might even be able to convince the boss to let me take a section of the back yard and put in a garden. Might even put in a flower or 2, well so long as they're edible that is.

Thanks for stopping by and check back I'll be here.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

Just two more months Bill and we will start to see some nice production from are plants. Just keep em fed and doing what your doing and wait for some nice pepper growing conditions. :dance:

At least that's what she said ;)

Up to 5 pods now 3 JalapeƱo and 2 Thai Short Hots. I'm going to get pics later.

My 2 oldest daughters just returned from their mission trip with the church Youth group to New Orleans. Heres what they brought me:

4bfc4c18.jpg

They know me so well!

Nice score on the Hot Sauce! You have nice daughters.
Good luck getting through the hot humid, RM. Funny that
you are worrying about shade, and we are thirsting for sun!
Guess it will all come out in the wash. Can't really complain
about our July - not real cold even on the cloudy days, and
there is enough radiant heat from the sun to keep the plants
growin'. Hope you get some more pods on before things
slow down in the heat.

Pod pics
3 Jalapenos
100_2987.jpg

2 Thai Shorts
100_2988.jpg

Getting some leaf curl going on with a few plants. Going to have to do some searching through the thread here and see whats causing it.
Bset shot of it
100_2992.jpg

100_2991.jpg

100_2989.jpg

Yeah CJ, some how or other, even without a Owners Manual we managed to raise em right. They're really great young ladies.

Paul, I'm sure we could work out a little trade of Sun for Shade. :cool:

I'm pretty sure your right that it'll all work out. If I can get them through the heat then they should do great in the less hot days of the Florida Fall. Really looking forward to getting some of the hotter pods on now.

Have a great week Y'all. Thanks for stopping by,
RM

I hate to say it Bill must most likey mites or aphids. Remove the curled leaves and blast them with some good stuff :mope:

Yep was just reading thorugh and found he list of

Over watering
Mites
Aphids

I've been looking over the leaves daily and have seen no signs or ants or aphids on them, there were on some other plants but they were all the way out at the end of the deck, but I'm thinking now I need to break out the 7 and just give the whole yard a treatment. I had a neighbor, who recently moved thank goodness, who never took care of his lawn and as a result I've had to fight a whole bunch of issues. Thought at one point about leaving him a bill for it all.

Most likely I'll use the 7 all around and the neem on the plants mixed with a bit if dish soap in a sprayer.

Just thinking out loud here but if anything sounds off let me know

Looks like mite damage, which can be treated.......if using 7 around the plants you need to wait a week before harvesting any edibles. Which ever treatment(s) you decide on just make sure to water the soil well before using them.

Greg

Thanks guys, good info. The 7 I have is in liquid form so I'll be filling the sprayer and giving everything a good soaking to include the lawn. I orginally got it to use on the lawn cause it wont hurt the dogs. Just have to keep them inside till it drys. Waiting a week wont be a problem as nothing is ripe yet.

Cheers,
RM

RM - that leaf curl looks more like excessive ferts to me. If you don't find critters, back off on the fertilizer.

Yeah, haven't seen anything but then it takes a microscope to see mites. I did spray the yard, though mostly for the dogs and gave the plants a spray down with some liquid Sevin so we'll see what happens. Thanks g.

Hey Rick, sorry so late gatting back. Work's just been crazy with the build up to Go Live on a new database. No pulls yet but they're all growing nicely. I just have to remember that I have to water them. :eek: Yeah, there is no life before Go Live. I'll try and get some pics up this weekend. Have a good one everyone!

so the wife and I had dinner with some good friends of ours last week and as we walk in she has this great big grin going on. Finally after a couple of Beers I asked her what the heck she's grinning about. Oh, we just found you the perfect thing for your peppers. The take us out the the garage and this was sitting there. Note, this not a pic of mine.

bradley.jpg

It's an electric smoker and according to the specifications book it will give temps from ambient to 250 degrees F. We smoked a turkey breast this weekend at about 230 using Applewood and it was perfectly smoked and nice and moist. So now I cant wait to get some peppers loaded in there at about 100 to 150.

I had to have a talk with the little ones this morning. One of them broke off a pepper and did well, they wont tell me anything more than that it was thrown out into the yard. So, now I have only 1 Jalapeno left. This is a hybrid that has the flavor of a Jalapeno but has no heat.

CBB9D4CB-62AA-4296-B3F9-C7C462DCBAC7-7034-00000A9A4476453E.jpg

Had to nip the pepper picking in the bud though because this is how my Butch T is looking this morning.

0B2B917F-374A-40CB-B0F6-B3CB920A66F3-7034-00000A9A48B77C8B.jpg

Wont be long now till I get a little of my onw heat. :)

Have a great weekend everyone.

Back