• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rockwool blues

willard3 said:
I use rockwool both for hydro and dirt with great success.

As recommended, wait til you see roots in the bottom of the rockwool before you transplant.

crop3400.jpg

do you ever seperate the seedlings from the rockwool, or do you just plant the entire cube in your medium ?

The cubes are made to be planted directly. There would be no point in using rockwool if you have to seperate it from the seedling

i realise that and was just wondering if anyone else has had more algae or mold by planting them into the pots..

i did pot some with and some without ... more algae and mold in the pots with, then out...

i know there are other factors involved as well but all the pots were getting the same conditioning.. anyways, not really important..just frothing at the mouth thats all..lol

I'm sure this has been asked before but...
It scares me to see all those babies with their helmets still on. I rely on the dirt to hold the seed casing and let the leaves pull up out of it. Do they just dry and crack if you leave them alone? Do you lose more of them with rockwool than soil?

Hotpeppa said:
you can always pull them off gently without causing any damage..

Not always. But I have good luck using the tip of a toothpick to slide it down the leaves most times.

The other thing to do is nothing. Nothing leads to quicker chile death than too much attention.

All these plants got rid of the helmets by themselves with no intervention.

Hotpeppa said:
you can always pull them off gently without causing any damage..

I've gone both ways on that. If it's just stuck on one cotyledon, I leave it alone, but if it's inhibiting both cotyledons from coming out I just gently pull if off with thumb & forefinger of both hands. One hand supporting the seedling right next to the cap and the other pulling off the cap. I've never hurt a plant doing this. Yet. :knocks on wood:

Hotpeppa said:
ok, you left me no choice but to deliver my ' magnum steel ' look.. only the privileged get to see this one... you ready ?

here it is...
Now your done it! Its been awhile since Pam answered I think she may have fainted

JungleRain said:
Now your done it! Its been awhile since Pam answered I think she may have fainted

I was struggling for something polite to say, only, I keep giggling.

Hotpeppa said:
dont hold back Pam, it makes a woman unattractive.

Mmmmyeah, cause holding back is what I'm known for.

I need a beer, meet me in the drinking thread.

Back