• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

romy6 2012

So i was gonna cont. my thread from last year but decided I better stay with the norm. I am not allowed to grow indoors( thanks to my better half) so I will not start anything new til late February and they will be germinated outside. Until then I have a nice amounts of plants I will be overwintering.They are as folllows.
2 Brain strain ( wayright )
2 chocolate bhut's( wayright)
4 yellow cardi scorps( wayright)
2 red 7's (THSC)
2 yellow 7's ( judy)
2 hybrid bhut's(redwoodcityseeds)
1 red bhut(CPI)
1 7 pot barrackpore ( roper2008)
1 red savina
1 douglah hybrid(wayright)
1 chocolate habanero( lisa/ gardens 2 grow)
1 african tunisian(gardens 2 grow)
1 chiltepin( garden 2 grow)
1 donne sali( wayright)
1 datil(CPI)
1 dorsett naga( highhalt's 2010 seed swap)
and a couple mystery plants

Here is a pic of some of them as I was bringing them in the Garage. My son JJ was a huge help. This is the latest i have ever had to bring them in .( I say that like I have been growing peppers forever) But last year I had to bring my plants in several times before the new year. :halo:

photo-168.jpg

And my first hybrid bhut with some peas my boy grew. I say that bhut was :hot:
IMG_2872.jpg

Sauce sounds good Jamie, haven't tasted a nagabrain but it looks good. 2 questions:

1 How much acid did you add to the sauce?
2 what are the herbs there?

Ok, a third one, how much rain have you had over there? We've had it off and on ranging from hard to soft since yesterday afternoon.

Bill

Thanks Conor. It is very tasty.

Pia. Cris is gonna kick some ass literally. Thanks for the compliments :drooling:

Bill. I was afraid you would ask that ;) . I would say about 3 tablespoons.

The herbs are fresh dill from the garden

I would say about an inch of rain. Just started raining again. :confused: Better get your kids to start singing again. :party:

sauce looks great jamie! i will have another package for you soon my brother the smoked red hab BBQ sauce is simmering away on the stove as I type and ur bottle of fermented trini scorp sauce is ready to roll as well, as soon as I can get to a PO this week it will be headed ur way like a fireball, with a few other goodies as well ;)

3 Tbs isn't very much but you made a small batch so you may be ok there. Did you use a Water Bath when you canned the sauces, if so that will help give them some shelf stability also. Otherwise, just keep them in the fridge and try to use them within 90 days just to be safe.

don't mean to worry you or anything but I don't like seeing friends get sick :)

Thanks Bill. I appreciate your concern. I always eat my own sauces. I don't send them to others. I have had sauces sit for months with no ill effects. I did heat up jars then added sauce but did not boil after canning.

[sub] [/sub]That is how you should do it.But don't boil the tops it can mess up the seal. I never boil afterwards but I will most likely start if I make many batches. I eat mine up so quick I don't think it is a big deal. But Bill is the expert. Not me :party:

Lookin good jamie. Glad your staying loaded up with fresh pods no matter where youve grown them or not. But hey what is that yellow hab type pod at the bottom of the pic of the pods Andy sent you?

Hey Brit - I think you're seeing the Harold St. Bart Habanero. It's a good one - cool plant and tasty, hot pods! If you were closer I'd send you a couple!

3 Tbs isn't very much but you made a small batch so you may be ok there. Did you use a Water Bath when you canned the sauces, if so that will help give them some shelf stability also. Otherwise, just keep them in the fridge and try to use them within 90 days just to be safe.

don't mean to worry you or anything but I don't like seeing friends get sick :)

So what's the correct ratio then? I wanna make my first own sauce soon but don't wanna get sick from it of course ;)

So what's the correct ratio then? I wanna make my first own sauce soon but don't wanna get sick from it of course ;)

There isn't persay a ratio of acid to other that you can go by, well so far as I've heard. The idea is just to get the Ph of the sauce to 4.0 or lower, the lower the better. When I'm making a fermented sauce it's not ever a problem as the Ph out of the jar is always +/- 3.4. When I'm making a sauce that is not fermented I have a starting point that I use. As an example lets look at Shanes suggestion here:

2 Lbs Peppers
1 Lg Sweet Onion
8 Lg Cloves Garlic
3 lg Shredded Carrots
1/2 Cup Lime juice, Lemon juice or Rice Vinegar

This will get you into the ball park and when you check the Ph after you run the sauce through the blender you might need to add more acid. i usually start with Lime or Lemon juice because it will add to the flavor profile of the sauce and then use the Rice Vinegar to adjust. I like to use Rice Vinegar because it has a milder flavor and you don't wind up with an in-your-face vinegar taste. You can use what ever you like though.

Hope this helps. If anyone has any sauce questions I recommend first reading the Hot Sauce 101 and Fermenting 101 threads in the Hot Sauce forum then take a look as your question has probably been asked before. if you cant find the answer post it and we'll get you an answer.

RM

Thanks RM for the info, I checked those threads last year but didn't recently. Should dive back into fermenting again since I wanna do that as well and soon I have a big harvest I want to use for that.

Hi Jamie
I just spent a couple hours checking out the first 25 pages of your glog... gotta take a break before looking at the rest. Boy, there's just a whole lotta goin' on in here! :fireball:

Nice lookin sauce dude!
I dried out about 25 lbs of maters this weekend and was trying to think what to do with all of em'
Thanks for the idea!
Wonder what they would be like re-hydrated with a little bourbon before the saucing?

I grew some Principe Borghese cherry tomatoes this year. They're supposed to be bred for drying because they keep their color and flavor well. I have about a quart of the dried tomatoes put away for the winter. I'll probably drop handfuls in soups and stews. I understand that in Italy they pack them away in olive oil with sliced garlic and a little basil and salt.

Back