• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

romy6 2013

Well 2012 is old news so time to push onward. It was a great year for me pepperwise. If you did not get a chance to follow me last year and would like to check it out here is the link http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27252-romy6-2012/. It will save me from explaining my grow and being redundant. I am an outdoor grower only from start to finish. I try to keep my aphid /bug colonies to a minimum while batteling the temps as while growing in east central Florida. I plan on growing many other new varieties in a few months so keep an eye out. Until then I wish a great grow for all and look forward to following all of your grows. After fighting off the tequilla hangover this moring I managed to stumble along and pick my first harvest of the new year. Some yellow 7's, yellow scorps, yellw scotch bonnets with a tail, hybrid bhut, not douglah, mystery annums, choc hab , cho bhut bhut and a choc bhut x yellow 7 f3. Winter pods are always a little funky looking IMHO :rolleyes:

:dance: Happy New Year :dance:

IMG_4283.jpg

Jamie, 

I need to move down there. You could train me how to grow gnarley peppers and I could train you in my little hobby...also I could get invited over and eat some of that great cooking...lol.

Wow !!! Nice looking everything!!!! Job well done buddy

That Reaper looked text-book, man.  Very nice.  I bet the later harvests will fill in the heat.  Speaking of harvests, that was another nice mother-lode you pulled out of the yard.  The Barrackpores look awesome, and so does the SBJ7.  What color does the Peruvian Serlano ripen?  Cool pod.

That Douglah-flavored roast and tamales looked most excellent.  So did the jerky. 

I couldn't believe the pic of the gator.  Our biggest pest is an opossom.  Great shot! 

Now that summer is here, I can only imagine how fast and furious the harvests are going to be coming on! 

Okies, after some digging we found the recipe:

Have the following ready the day before:

Beans:  soak beans overnight, 2lb’s pinto beans, 1 med onion, can rotel 10 oz., salt, pepper, fajita seasoning, garlic powder, either bacon or salt pork. Add Jals to taste. Cook 8hrs. in crock pot.

Boil 10lb’s each of pork and venison (20lb pork can be subbed), it has to be cooked down so it can be pulled.

Have 3lb Lard , 10lb Masa, whole allspice, 1.5 lb dried Ancho Peppers on hand. Don’t forget the corn husks.

Tamale Day:

Boil the peppers, using just enough water to cover them. Using a mortar and pestle grind 6 large garlic cloves and 7-8 whole allspice. When peppers are soft, after a bout 30 minutes Add garlic, allspice, run the peppers in a blender, pour into a pot, then add the pulled pork and venison. You want a wet but not too runny consistency.

Cook the peppers and meat while you work the beans.

Beans, mash and add melted lard, not much, just until texture is correct, you’ll know, like refried beans.

Masa: add salt, chili powder, add lard until it’s a spreadable, not sticky a consistency.

Spread Masa on corn husks with a spoon and add meat or beans and fold.

We then freeze them. To cook before serving you need a steamer, or as we call it a tamale pot. Cook about 30 minutes...enjoy!

Scott

PIC 1 said:
That looks great........

Thank you sir Greg!!

Barley-pop57 said:
Jamie, 

I need to move down there. You could train me how to grow gnarley peppers and I could train you in my little hobby...also I could get invited over and eat some of that great cooking...lol.

Wow !!! Nice looking everything!!!! Job well done buddy

You are welcome down anytime Mike. As long as you bring the jerky:)

WalkGood said:
I have to second Greg here, dam that looks great!!!!!!

Thank you brother Ray.

roper2008 said:
Your peppers are looking scary hot!  Yum tamales.  My bro and I make them occasionally.  Lots of work.

Muchas Gracias Linda. Feel free to share your recipe too:)

DocNrock said:
That Reaper looked text-book, man.  Very nice.  I bet the later harvests will fill in the heat.  Speaking of harvests, that was another nice mother-lode you pulled out of the yard.  The Barrackpores look awesome, and so does the SBJ7.  What color does the Peruvian Serlano ripen?  Cool pod.

That Douglah-flavored roast and tamales looked most excellent.  So did the jerky. 

I couldn't believe the pic of the gator.  Our biggest pest is an opossom.  Great shot! 

Now that summer is here, I can only imagine how fast and furious the harvests are going to be coming on! 

Brent, how is life? I too love seeing the gator on my evening walks with Tebow. Hopefully the heat will not slow down my production too much!!!

Devv said:
Okies, after some digging we found the recipe:

Have the following ready the day before:

Beans:  soak beans overnight, 2lb’s pinto beans, 1 med onion, can rotel 10 oz., salt, pepper, fajita seasoning, garlic powder, either bacon or salt pork. Add Jals to taste. Cook 8hrs. in crock pot.

Boil 10lb’s each of pork and venison (20lb pork can be subbed), it has to be cooked down so it can be pulled.

Have 3lb Lard , 10lb Masa, whole allspice, 1.5 lb dried Ancho Peppers on hand. Don’t forget the corn husks.

Tamale Day:

Boil the peppers, using just enough water to cover them. Using a mortar and pestle grind 6 large garlic cloves and 7-8 whole allspice. When peppers are soft, after a bout 30 minutes Add garlic, allspice, run the peppers in a blender, pour into a pot, then add the pulled pork and venison. You want a wet but not too runny consistency.

Cook the peppers and meat while you work the beans.

Beans, mash and add melted lard, not much, just until texture is correct, you’ll know, like refried beans.

Masa: add salt, chili powder, add lard until it’s a spreadable, not sticky a consistency.

Spread Masa on corn husks with a spoon and add meat or beans and fold.

We then freeze them. To cook before serving you need a steamer, or as we call it a tamale pot. Cook about 30 minutes...enjoy!

Scott

Man that sounds amazing Scott. Thank you for sharing. Consider it pinned in my notebook. Mush different than the way my inlaw does it:)

saugapepper said:
Jamie, those tamales look fantastic! Can we get a weekend update?!?! How is that orange Primo coming? Orange or red?

Conor my northern brethren. Primo is producing textbook pods. Will post a vid if I can get it to upload:)

So it was a great weekend. Hope everyone else had a good one too. Picked a nice reaper and a fe other pods too. 

photo_zpse5a04d89.jpg

photo_zps486e3e30.jpg

And cooked up some yummy vittlles Saturday night. 

Started with some pork ribs, chicken legs for my daughter( no like ribs:( ) and fresh corn on the cob. 

photo_zps9c20c597.jpg

Threw em on the grill

photo_zpsb4fa4db6.jpg

Then my wife was craving poppers so she got em 

photo_zps2a4f6762.jpg

After I cut in half and deseed I sprinkled some minced garlic and romy6 pepper powder on the cream cheese before I wrapped them in love ( bacon)

photo_zpsc963a130.jpg

Fresh out of the oven 30 minutes at 400 degrees

photo_zpsf8610f2c.jpg

And the fat boys plate 

photo_zps320907b3.jpg

Oh and almost forgot momma made her tasty homemade mashed taters too!!!

The feed and the pull this past weekend both looked great jamie, but I'm glad you didn't post the food until this morning... I couldn't even have looked at food then :sick:, and I appreciate it much more now... 

Awesome looking food Jamie! In Austin I saw a business called "Bacon To Go". I took a night pic of it but it wasn't any good. I'm going back during the day. My wife said their website had some kind of chicken waffle's breakfast item! Crazy

Mike

Life is good at the Jamie Ponderosa!

Tables full of pods and eating like a king.

Can't beat it!

I was wondering how many pods your Reaper(s) are setting? The Bhut looking one I have is loaded, the others just have a few, I think it's getting too hot...

Jamie, that looks awesome!!! I just told the wife we're selling up and moving next door to you. The bacon wrapped jalapenos are simply amazing.

Pity about that Primo, was hoping they were goign to be orange but I knew when I bought the seeds the chances were slim.

stickman said:
The feed and the pull this past weekend both looked great jamie, but I'm glad you didn't post the food until this morning... I couldn't even have looked at food then :sick:, and I appreciate it much more now... 

I hear ya Rick. I was in the same boat as you can see:)

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great brother! Nice harvest man and loving that Q shot!

You know it brother. Thank you!!

capsidadburn said:
Awesome looking food Jamie! In Austin I saw a business called "Bacon To Go". I took a night pic of it but it wasn't any good. I'm going back during the day. My wife said their website had some kind of chicken waffle's breakfast item! Crazy

Mike

Man Mike just give me the coordinates and I will meet you there:)

Devv said:
Life is good at the Jamie Ponderosa!

Tables full of pods and eating like a king.

Can't beat it!

I was wondering how many pods your Reaper(s) are setting? The Bhut looking one I have is loaded, the others just have a few, I think it's getting too hot...

Ray Ray. Life is good for us Florida boys. My reaper has about 10 pods and setting more everyday. Might want to pot em up if he is struggling. Or set in the shade a bit. 

saugapepper said:
Jamie, that looks awesome!!! I just told the wife we're selling up and moving next door to you. The bacon wrapped jalapenos are simply amazing.
Pity about that Primo, was hoping they were goign to be orange but I knew when I bought the seeds the chances were slim.

Conor I have not had any orange primos ripen yet so if I said they turned red I take it back. Still a chance brother. 

Bodeen said:
Awesome looking harvest and better looking grub,

Thanks Jeff. 

Hey, Jamie, just wanted to stop by for a check-in.  I knew I'd find
great pod pics and some outrageous foodies.  I wasn't disappointed!

PaulG said:
Hey, Jamie, just wanted to stop by for a check-in.  I knew I'd find
great pod pics and some outrageous foodies.  I wasn't disappointed!

Nice to see you back Paul We have missed you. 

MGOLD86 said:

FIFY
:rofl:

So I have a few pod shots and started some more peppers. Which I promosed I would not. But got some really cool wild varities and though I would give them a shot. This is the best time of year for me to sow anyway outside :party:

Started 4 wilds and one evil Jonah from wayright. He said this is the hottest pepper he has ever grown so I had to try it. 

attempting to germinate

C. Flexousum
Tovarii
Cumari Pollux
C. Eximium

IMG_4787_zpsef74810d.jpg

Not yellow brain and Morado are a nice addition to my front door( not sure the wife agrees :drooling: )

IMG_4788_zps3cfc8b47.jpg

brown 7

IMG_4798_zpsf5840685.jpg

Madballz's

IMG_4799_zps9c668a6c.jpg

IMG_4800_zps6dae156a.jpg

There are a lot of brainstrains out there . I have  two plants.  One with a more morouga look and this one with a true brainstrain appearance. So they say.And I agree

IMG_4802_zps83288159.jpg

The more morouga shaped brain. 

IMG_4804_zps34f15858.jpg

Both came from wayright a couple years ago in he same seed pack:)

Jonah . Must have some bonnet in this guys genes

IMG_4797_zps4137d311.jpg

Nice spiked Butch T

IMG_4805_zpsb747e43c.jpg

Monster yellow 7 

IMG_4807_zps27694533.jpg

Bump please:)

Back