• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rooting Mint

In another thread I whined about not being find to a mint that tastes like what I find at the Thai market. Never have been able too. Several folks gave me a link for seeds may be what I want. But seeds take so dang long !!

Our buddy here scoville said to get some of the mint I like and try rooting it . So I have .. several times.Sounds easy as two minute Mac & Chessey ....... but I'm not doing well on this.

Here are the things that have always been the same . Cuttings under a dome with temp around 78 to 80. Because I don't know anyone growing this I have to use mint from the market. I found out when they get new shipments and that's what I get. But I have no idea how long it's been since they harvested it. I always pick the best looking pieces. I trim off leaves off till I have several sets at the top. I cut the length down until I have two nodes and make a 45 degree cut.

The first try I used tap water inna cup ...... Fail !! Next time distilled water which I changed every other day. I started getting "water roots". I had heard with water roots you want to get them into dirt pretty early when they're a 1/8" to a 1/4" as opposed to being several inches long because the older the water roots get stressed trying to change over. I put them in damp potting soil .... brown leaves before they rooted. Fail !!

I got more going ...... two in water and two in damp potting soil .

Any thoughts or ideas for me ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Let the water roots grow for a while. I usually let things go in just water for much longer than they need to. After a while you will end up getting good roots that will take to soil pretty easily.

Sure am mate ...... on your link , one picture took me to evergreen seeds . That's who I ordered some seeds . Some of the pictures of the vietnamese mint doesn't look like what I find at the market here. It looks like normal mint , for lack of a better name , but tastes different
than any mint I can find at local nurseries here. The mint from evergreen seeds looks like what I want. I've seeds going but they sure are slow growing .....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

VT mint is great in ph0 along with some thai basil. The flavor profiles if done right can be really good.

P.,

I too have very little luck with cuttings but with some toms I tried this winter, I let the roots (if they started!) grow. Grow until they almost filled the quart jar in a couple of instances. Once I transplanted them into the container mix, they took.

I did completely soak the container first. Set it in a tub of water and then poured more water into it until the soil was wet. Let it drain for a day or two, transplanted and watered around the seedling.

YMMV,

Mike

Mike ..... What I had read before was that you wanted to transplant cuttings started in water when the roots were still small ... 1/8" to 1/4" long because the bigger the "water roots" the more it stresses the cuttings switching over. I can't say that's true. I've had them fail both ways.

I've just stuck a few mint cuttings with water roots several inches long in soil. I held them up and dropped the soil around the roots and stem. This time I used a very fine mix like you'd use to start seeds. Time will tell from here ......

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I know this is extremely immature... but i can't help but giggle when read this thread, all the talk about rooting :P

Yes it was ...... you little girl ..... When a man needs roots on some mint he gets desperate ....... what's so funny about that ?

Peace,
P. Dreadie

well, here rooting is another word for sex, and mint is another word for awesome... so when i saw the thread rooting mint, couldn't help myself! lol that's enough from this little girl

I am not sure about Vietnamese mint, I have English mint in my garden and I now consider it a weed! roots sprawl under ground and find themselves 10-15 feet from where they were the year before.
I am out working in the garden right now and I am lifting long viens of crawling root. smells nice.
Think I'll do some research on Viet mint to see the difference.

Grimus said:
well, here rooting is another word for sex, and mint is another word for awesome... so when i saw the thread rooting mint, couldn't help myself! lol that's enough from this little girl

I am with you bro!

Hey, Hey ..... Way back in April I started this thread. I couldn't find or get the mint that I liked the taste of to root.

ZanderSpice & CCN told me of a place that had seeds..... maybe. I got those seeds to sprout. The Spear Mint was easy ( they have a min order so bought other stuff ) , the Vietnamese Mint seed that they had was pretty hard to get a plant from. But I have now.

I also got cuttings from the harvested mint at the Thai store. That was/seemed harder , but now that's my biggest mint plant. And it's the taste I wanted !! The first picture shows the vietnamese mint and spearmint from seed. This vietnamese mint is different. Nice but not what I wanted. Spearmint is Spearmint.

The last picture is from what I rooted. It just looks like common mint , for lack of a better name .... but it taste different than anything I could find in nurseries here as starter plants.And it grows like crazy .... I can trim as much as I like and the plants is still full looking !

Peace,
P. Dreadie

2qm2qfc.jpg

2jeuvcm.jpg

i'm trying to root rosemary by use of coco coir.

i've been successful in rooting tarragon once. by use of hormex (rooting hormone), dipping it in hormex and leaving it in water and changing it every few days.

rooted in 3 weeks.

tried to root thyme, wasn't successful.

Back