• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Roper2008 2013 Grow

Thought I would start a glog for the first time. Hopefully this year will be a little less rain, had
too much early season last year, which lead to leaf disease's.

Here is what I will be growing
IMG_0138_zps0683ab8a.jpg

Starting the soaking
IMG_0142_zps76d68477.jpg

The aji is slowly recouping.  Some of my peppers are in their permanent containers, but a lot still need hardening off
and repotting.

Antillais Carribean

Orange Blob has buds. Seed from meatfreak.

Harold St. Barts.

One of my Carolina Reapers. Seed from midwestchilihead.

FDA Scotch Bonnet.  Seed from Pic1

Rooster Spur

Peach Habanero

Safi Red Bonnet.  Seed from Pic1.

Nice update, Linda, plants look great! The blob looks exactly the same as mine last season, little white hairs on the stem/backside of the leaves. Hope you like it.

meatfreak said:
Nice update, Linda, plants look great! The blob looks exactly the same as mine last season, little white hairs on the stem/backside of the leaves. Hope you like it.

Thanks stefan.  I'm sure I will like them.  It was a pretty cool looking pepper in your grow last year.  They are both a little
fuzzy.

Thanks Rick.  Most of my peppers will be in pots  My raised beds have tomatoes.  They take up so much
space.  I may put a few in the ground.

As promised I’m back and started from my last post #16, did you finally spread some pepper love? I’ve had a good year doing that, got a friend of mine to start a small grow by gifting him a few and his father got involved as well, I love dat.

Probably best to do mi bullet ting girl and I promise to keep up from now… I’m wasting too much time posting into glogs that never reciprocate and I thank you for your kind words on mine ... hat’s off young lady \o_
  • How have the CowPots worked out? I tried some a few years back and while they worked well I found them expensive here and when the rains came they got too soggy.
  • Love the picture of the Red Rocoto's in your post #20, dem look smexy there \o/ Primos & Reapers too … can’t wait to jump ahead but I’ll take mi time ^_^
  • I never get enough of seeing seedlings sprout, thanks for sharing your pictures ^_^
  • Did you make the homemade kimchi yet? I hope there be soon come pics, hehe
  • Your pictures in post #29 & #31 are fantastic and the plants look wonderful! Bad on me not looking the day of your posts :/ Love dat Eggplant pic too, very cool perspective/angle!
  • How’s the Bhut Jolokia you bought at the Navy Exchange?
  • I’ll echo what others have said and raise da steaks ... beautiful, gorgeous, stunning plants (post #41). I look forward to seeing them all pod up for you ^_^
  • I’ll be looking for some updates, great photography work and thank you for sharing :)
Hope you have a great week and you are now part of the brethren pepper mon club, hehehe

Hey, thanks for all the likes lol.  I'll post an update Friday.  I think I changed my mind on making kimchi, but I do want to try a jerk chicken.
Right now I'm fighting a little bit of mealy bug.  Them stupid ants keep trying to farm them...
You know I ordered a JA hab from cross country nursery, and it isn't no JA hab.  Looks like it's going to be some kind of cubanelle pepper.
I'll post some pics friday.  I ordered it from looking at your glog of JA hab.  

Have a great week Ramon.

The plant pictures look great! Sorry to hear about the mealy bugs. 

Buying a plant and finding out it is not true is a pet peeve of mine. I don't know if it is worse to get seeds that are not true, because the seeds are a bigger time investment. Hopefully the plant turns into a gem anyway.

Beautiful plants! Definitely gave me inspiration for what I can hope to achieve by mid to late may in the Va. Although coastal might help with that. I def noticed milder temps when I lived in Norfolk and va beach.

Think picked a bad season to start anyways. Tonight hit 55f, lowest I can ever remember for late June living my whole life in the state.

roper2008 said:
Hey, thanks for all the likes lol.  I'll post an update Friday.  I think I changed my mind on making kimchi, but I do want to try a jerk chicken.
Right now I'm fighting a little bit of mealy bug.  Them stupid ants keep trying to farm them...
You know I ordered a JA hab from cross country nursery, and it isn't no JA hab.  Looks like it's going to be some kind of cubanelle pepper.
I'll post some pics friday.  I ordered it from looking at your glog of JA hab.  

Have a great week Ramon.
Sorry to hear you're having problems with Mealybugs Linda. Can you get some Ladybugs from somewhere? If you spot any, capture, and release them on your infested plant(s). They'll make short work of them. Bummer about the mislabeled JA Hab... it's the first negative I've heard about CCN. Maybe you could drop them an Email and see what their response is.

Linda your plants look great !
Mealybugs ? If you only have them on one plant and it's potted, isolate it from the others. The eggs can easily be blown in the wind to other plants.
I've used isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip or a latex gloved hand to smear the bugs and egg sacks........sprays won't penetrate the protective coating of the eggs. The soil has to be treated also....they will reappear out of it like an army iinfantry.
Unless CCN has authentic Jamaican seeds...which probably don't, they may be pushing the Caribbean Reds, I've seen it happen...

Stefan_W said:
The plant pictures look great! Sorry to hear about the mealy bugs. 

Buying a plant and finding out it is not true is a pet peeve of mine. I don't know if it is worse to get seeds that are not true, because the seeds are a bigger time investment. Hopefully the plant turns into a gem anyway.

Thanks Stefan, the mealy bugs are not too bad. Going to get some of them today..I will take a picture of the Jamaican Hab.  I don't think I mixed up the labels.

Peptacular said:
Beautiful plants! Definitely gave me inspiration for what I can hope to achieve by mid to late may in the Va. Although coastal might help with that. I def noticed milder temps when I lived in Norfolk and va beach.

Think picked a bad season to start anyways. Tonight hit 55f, lowest I can ever remember for late June living my whole life in the state.

Thanks.  You should be able to grow just as good or better peppers than mine.  

armac said:
picture perfect plants

Thanks, I'll be updating in a little bit.

stickman said:
Sorry to hear you're having problems with Mealybugs Linda. Can you get some Ladybugs from somewhere? If you spot any, capture, and release them on your infested plant(s). They'll make short work of them. Bummer about the mislabeled JA Hab... it's the first negative I've heard about CCN. Maybe you could drop them an Email and see what their response is.

Mealybugs not too bad right now.  They are going to get it today.  As far as CCN goes, I'll wait until the end of the season to be sure they sent me the 
wrong plant.

PIC 1 said:
Linda your plants look great !
Mealybugs ? If you only have them on one plant and it's potted, isolate it from the others. The eggs can easily be blown in the wind to other plants.
I've used isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip or a latex gloved hand to smear the bugs and egg sacks........sprays won't penetrate the protective coating of the eggs. The soil has to be treated also....they will reappear out of it like an army iinfantry.
Unless CCN has authentic Jamaican seeds...which probably don't, they may be pushing the Caribbean Reds, I've seen it happen...

What do you treat the soil with?  The first pic I will post will be the Jamaican.

Jamaican Red?

White Habanero- See the ants

Orange Blob

Pimient de Espellete

Antillias Carribean

Carolina Reaper

Congo Trinidad

Peach Habanero

Harold St. Barts

Linda,
The narrowness  of the leaves along with shape of the petiole and calyx strikes it to be an ..c. annuum  not c. chinense.
Although the pods don't appear to be Cubanelles either. The flesh of those are light green.
If the pods change shape it can possibly be a mushroom or the "Jamaican Hot" which was derived in the U.S.

As far as the soil......some folks use Misquito Dunk or drops within a watering can. There's another product that's popular that folks use when bringing plants indoors to "winterover" through the season change. The roots intake the solution and pass it through the entire plant. The product is organic and is safe to use with edibles....I just don't have the name of it.....but I'll find out.

Great update Linda, you have some remarkable looking pods, I love the look of dem all but your Antillias Carribean, Peach Habanero and the Harold St. Barts are just plain smexy! Keep up dat great work and have a wonderful weekend!

Great update, Linda. Pods are looking good and love the look of your Blob's, although I didn't had any pods last year that were shaped like the right one on the picture. Guess this reveals something from a parent of the cross ;) In another month those babies will be ready for harvest :D

Back