• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RYMERPT 2022 into 2023 GLOG

My buddy asked me for seeds a couple weeks ago. I told him its to late in the season, but b sent him the seeds anyway. This will be his first time growing peppers and he is going with a small hydroponic kit he bought.
Well, because he started this late, I thought what the hell. Sooo I ordered a new heat matt (should arrive today) and went out and bought some soil. Im using the same solo cup method that has worked so well before. Two cups, top cup has holes, water from the bottom up.
I sowed (three seeds per cup) 1) REAPER 2) YELLOW NAGA REAPER 3) FATALI 4) TEPIN X LEMONDROP View attachment 108 143[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20220908_124743.jpg
    20220908_124743.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2,903
Last edited:
Good morning boys and girls. I feel pretty confident that these yellow sticky boards are gonna REALLY help. Now, if you would please, advise me of what I might do to help these little guys thrive. It scares me how slowly they grow. One day they look really green and vibrant. The next they have a yellow dying leaf. I assume that is due to the gnats. I'm pretty sure not to feed them anything because they are so small, but what about Epsom salt? Is there anything I'm missing? PLEASE ADVISE.

I noticed several times that the soil you are using is very coarse and full of rough not thoroughly composted material.
The rough composition can disturb the right water air mixture in the soil making it hard for the plants to spread their roots. Above all the uncomposted materials are still finishing the composting proces wich will increase acidity and eat away all of your nitrogen in the process. Nitrogen deficiency causes growth stagnation and overall yellowing of the leaves and results in dead plants eventually.
Always look for the best soil you can get!

Last edited:
I noticed several times that the soil you are using is very coarse and full of rough not thoroughly composted material.
The rough composition can disturb the right water air mixture in the soil making it hard for the plants to spread their roots. Above all the uncomposted materials are still finishing the composting proces wich will increase acidity and eat away all of your nitrogen in the process. Nitrogen deficiency causes growth stagnation and overall yellowing of the leaves and results in dead plants eventually.
Always look for the best soil you can get!
I've always used this for my mature plants that I get from the nursery. Perhaps not the best soil for the babies.

Screenshot_20221130-101225_Chrome.jpg

I would go for a good starter soil or some cocobased soil. If you can't find them locally you could sift the soil you are using now to get rid of the big woody pieces. Maybe mix in some crusher sand and some fine aged compost.
For nutrients you could use some granulated organic fertilizers straight from the start. These will gradually become available to your plants.

My go-to startig mix is Black Gold general purpose soil.
I like to use a 2” square starter cell so roots can get a
good mass going. One there are true leaves start with
a half strength all purpose fertilizer. I like to use a Alaska
Fish Fert mixed with some General Hydroponics Rapid
Start and Alaska Mor-Bloom. Once there are two or three
sets of true leaves start using a bit more fert.

Last edited:
Busy busy busy. I went to the nursery and cornered one of the plant experts. I left withsome mosquito dunk to kill the larva of the fungus gnats. I sprinkled that on top of the soil in each cup. Was also told to fert a bit. I did a light dose of 10-10-10 and gave each a plant a glug. BOO got the rest.

20230208_150011.jpg
20230208_150014.jpg
20230208_150020.jpg
20230208_150027.jpg
20230208_150056.jpg
20230208_150059.jpg

The stuff that looks like pellets is the mosquito dunk larvaside.

My biggest most healthy looking seedling , that had buds and flowers showing, is in trouble. The other day all its leaves were really droopy. I panicked and repotted it with new soil into the same solo cup. Of course this was a mistake and this shocked it pretty bad. Now all the leaves are looking nearly dead and just hang like an old man's balls. The stock still looks strong though.
Also I was at the nursery yesterday and the gardener told, me for better results with my fungus gnats, to make tea with the mosquito dunks. He said crumbling them and sprinkling atop the soil is effective, but if you make a tea with them and then water with that tea it REALLY works well.
Let's hope these changes will result positive results. I can't wait to purchase some strong healthy plants from the nursery to insure a bumper crop. THIS FROM SEED IS A PAIN IN THE ASS.

Hope the mosquito tea works for your pepper plant Ryme
I read that sprinkling powdered turmeric on the soil gets rid of fungus gnats

"SOIL PEST CONTROL: You can get rid of soil pests particularly fungal root rot and fungus gnats in the soil by mixing turmeric in soil. You can mix about 1 tablespoon per gallon of soil while making your potting mix or whenever you repot your plant"

worth a try eh - won't do any harm to your plant

Is it still cold out there? Let nature intervene if you can and put the plants outside. After this weekend my plants are going outside to get tough or die. I’ve already started to harden them off. The way I see it, my plants have a better chance toughing out a little cold than keeping them inside and making them vulnerable to all the indoor issues associated.

Last edited:
Back