• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

Yummy, Ashen! What did you use for batter? I bought some fish a couple weeks ago for fish tacos. I was planning on using bread crumbs, but the batter looks good.

Beer batter is right .

Batter was from this site, I thinned it out a little more so it kind of looks like melted icecream. I like a thin coating on my fish. I added some garlic and onion powder but would add less or none at all next time . Just season the fish instead before battering . Method was my own wing it as far as cooking. I like to cook fried fish to instant read temp instead of time because cut into small pieces I can control for thinner or thicker pieces
https://foodcrumbles.com/making-your-own-kibbeling-fried-fish/

Hey what's the cutting mat thing called on top of the cutting board I need one. Cutting mat?? or...

The Hot Pepper said:
Hey what's the cutting mat thing called on top of the cutting board I need one. Cutting mat?? or...
I can't remember where I picked them up. Set of four labeled . Fish,meat, chicken, vegetables but I use whichever one comes out when I reach under the counter where they are stored.

https://www.amazon.ca/Casabella-Silicone-Cutting-Board-Multicolor/dp/B00TIG87TI

These are the ones I have although I didn't get them from Amazon. Really handy. I imagine most similar products would be about the same.

keybrdkid, very nice buns, burger, jeweled rice, and kabobs.

ashen! that's funny, i made the same thing last night! :)

i got kinda fancy on the tartar sauce. mayo, fancy mustards, good sized chunks of pickle, lots of capers, sugar, little splash of mirin

i think your batter turned out better than mine. i have some leftover fish, so i have one more opportunity to experiment. i must develop more bubblage in there.
i tried doing a beer batter but had no baking powder. i use baking soda and a dash of vinegar.
mine was good and crispy, but it could have been fluffier. at least it wasn't soggy.

8viaJEa.jpg

MuV8kWJ.jpg

That tray with paper towel and rack set up is exactly like what I had going on too.

I like the colour of yours better. I think the onion and garlic powder are why mine darkened up so fast .

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
spinach soup and grilled cheese sammy. soup base is potato and carrot. homemade italian round loaf bread that came out great. 

j0Cvu3X - Imgur.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg

Awesome. My wife has basically commandeered my CI Dutch oven for baking bread this past week.

Donnalee asked what I wanted for dessert and I requested something lemon. :)

Warm lemon sponge with lemon curd centre

kNIPiCr.jpg

Some of Donnalee's recent bread adventures.

The cheddar jalapeno was particularly good. She also made a few loaves asiago jalapeno that were damn fine too ( not pictured)

nzhelEK.jpg

96l5vZY.jpg

TPxp7eF.jpg

Back