• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

Oh! Oh! I know this one!!!! RHUBARB CRISP!!!!!With cherries....(duh, obviously~~~  :lol:)

And I just noticed those hearts of palm cakes were from KEYBRDKID!   Nice to see you, Dude!   And great cook up there also.  Thanks for posting.

TB....you got me confused. Granted it doesn't take much for that to happen....

But I dont get how pineapple and swiss cheeze is a dessert....

texas blues said:
Who said it was?
Cuz that's what we wuz talking about.....???

Thanks for all the posts, inspirational and .....Yea, been there.....

Here's a little ketchup of the last couple days cooking (no pun intended as no catsup was involved in any of this cooking :lol:)

Couple days ago, TACOS....WooHoo!!!!  O- Kay Not so woohooo.  It's just tacos....
IMG_20200405_153010853.jpg

IMG_20200405_153340817.jpg

Yesterday-
T-Bones, (old) asparagus, and roasted taters
I've kept the asparagus going for at least a week.  Trim the ends and keep in FRESH water.  When I finally cooked it, I snapped off about half of the stalk and only used the top part.

1/2 and 1/2 olive oil and butter, onions (just a bit of a large onion), followed by garlic, black pepper (sorry geeme), saute until Happy!

Steaks on the Grill

Oven roasted red potatoes- at the grocery store, my shopping list included 'fresh thyme, rosemary, sage' so I went to the fresh herbs display, which was pretty well wiped out.  I was ready to pounce on the desired items, but the guy 6 feet in front of me grabbed the last fresh rosemary!  AAARRRGGG!!!

Oh, WAIT!!!  Not To worry, they still had several 'Roasting Blend" packets.   Bingo!
Toss the wedged red potatoes with olive oil, fresh herbs, fresh garlic, fresh onion (about half of the one used today, safe the rest for later...), seasoned salt (i've used Johnnys seasoning salt or Mrs Dash seasoning blend plus salt.  Plus a few other blends...,.just use whatever you have that sounds good!)

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes.  Toss a couple times to help get the crusty brown all around. 
IMG_20200406_174958138.jpg

This morning, John was feeling like a southwest black bean and corn soup.  Pretty sure we had all the components, so he started the cook around 8:30 this morning. 

Well, we didn't have Black beans, so Kidney Beans it was!

2 cans red kidney beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 medium onion diced ( the part saved from yesterday)
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin

Simmer it all up with 3 cups of water to get it all happy.

IMG_20200407_100429103.jpg

Toss in-
3/4 c rice
1/4 c diced hatch chiles
1 andouille sausage sliced

MMMmmmmm... looking and tasting goood~~~

Ger ready with the 10 schrimps

Aw, crap.... I grabbed a bag of 16-10 shrimp out of the Hanks freezer, didn't' realize they were NOT shelled and de-veined.....(sigh)...
IMG_20200407_105857594.jpg

Alright Moving On!  Tossed the schrimps into the soup-ish stuff on the stove. LUNCH!  
IMG_20200407_111500281.jpg

We started this around 8:30 AM, it finished and we had lunch around 11:30, and had leftovers for dinner!  

Other exciting news of the day...The Cat is OK!!!!
Last week I felt a lump on her stomach, took her to the vet (who is considered an essential service!)  and they scheduled her for surgery today.

Turns out it was an abscess wound.  Pretty deep, but they cleaned it and put in drains.   "Poor little Princess, having her long beautiful hair shaved".   Oh Well!  Suck It Up Princess!!!!   She should be good to go with the antibiotics and with keeping her inside for a few days.
IMG_20200407_170544108.jpg

Bob65, that looks like some wonderful comfort food.

lol'd at the re-wine penalty

glad your cat's ok. fur will re-grow in no time.

also, very nice call on that palo alto sauce. that's easily one of my fav sauces for mex food. especially tacos and burritos. to me, it is basically an upscale version of taco bell's sauces, and i mean that as a compliment i guess to both t-bell and palo alto. i think it reminds me so much of taco bell because of the cumin, but it's much more complex. it's a sauce i keep buying over and over.

actually, that would be an interesting thread topic: sauces you keep buying (at least 3 re-ups) or pantry staple sauces. anyone know if such a thread exists?

dinner tonight was carbonara alla sinensis:

dPu7wr3.jpg

Thanks sinensis.  I got the Palo Alto in a Secret Santa box and it's almost empty.  I got some of their original milder version years ago at the LA Hot Sauce Expo.  (pretty sure it was there~~) 

A couple I've bought repeatedly is-
SeaFire Gourmet Sweet Spicy Girl (been buying that by the case for 10 years)
Secret Aardvark  (Portland OR)
El Fuego (Bellingham WA)

That carbonara looks, good.  Been thinking of similar the last couple days as I have some LO angel hair pasta and some LO cooked bacon.

Back