• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

CHICKEN PICCATA!

The goods-
IMG_20200426_144432.jpg

OK, here's one of my quirks.  I HATE that tendon that's in chicken tenders when I'm cooking with raw chicken tenders.  I dunno why, but it grosses me out.  So I take it out.

Using a very strong fork, slip the tines on either side of the tendon. 
Grip the tendon tightly with one hand, (I pinch between the thumb nail and index finger), work the fork down along the tendon, removing it from the meat.
IMG_20200426_151253.jpg

IMG_20200426_151329.jpg

IMG_20200426_151926.jpg

Cover the chicken meat with parchment paper, wax paper or cling wrap.  Using a meat mallet, framing hammer or heavy can, pound the meat to about 1/4" thick.
IMG_20200426_152038.jpg

----------------------------------
veggie prep
the yellow squash was looking a little sad.  Quick trim with the peeler, good to go!
Shallots, zucchini, yellow squash, butter, garlic S&P, fresh tomato, parm
IMG_20200426_152453.jpg

IMG_20200426_152548.jpg

IMG_20200426_153214.jpg

Saute shallots with butter and garlic first to get it happy, then add the squashes.  Top with parmesan on the plate.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Side note- I put 2 cloves of garlic, cut into quarters, in the butter/oil mix to be used for frying the cutlets.  As the oil heated, the cloves browned up a little and infused the oil.  Before adding the chicken, I took the quarters out and set aside.  When cooking the veggies, I added those roasted garlic pieces to the veg saute, and it added a really nice roasted garlic flavor to the veggies. 

Season the cutlets with S&P, dredge in flour and pan fry in olive oil and butter. 
IMG_20200426_160909.jpg

Mine were pretty thin and they cooked fast, so they didn't get as brown as some pictured online.  Remove from the pan and keep warm.  I put them on a lined plate in the oven for about 10 minutes.
IMG_20200426_162206.jpg

Add a dash of white wine, splash of lemon juice, 2 Tbsp capers, 1 1/2 c chicken broth with 1 tsp corn starch mixed in, simmer until the sauce thickens just a bit then add about a cup of heavy cream.
IMG_20200426_162818.jpg

Nekkid chicken breastesses
IMG_20200426_163506.jpg

Dressed chicken breastesses,  on a bed of pasta drenched with sauce.
IMG_20200426_163550.jpg

Edit- usually this is made with whole chicken breasts that are butterflied then pounded.  The last breasts we used for the chicken parmesan were pretty big and by the time they were cut and pounded, it was like 3/4 of a platter.  Back in the day, the restaurant used pre-portioned 5 oz breasts which when pounded, were a manageable size.  Using the chicken tenders brought the portion size back down to normal, something we could actually eat in a serving.  Although this plate definitely topped off the tank and hit the max carb button on the diabetes.  Once every 10 years, it's worth it. 

I'm sorry for the fuzzy pictures.  My phone lens is really scratched, so I've been trying to use the Kindle camera.   It seems like it's on telephoto, and I can't figure out how to un-zoom it.  :banghead:

Oh, well, the chicken piccata was freaking awesome, so I don't care about the pics!

I totally missed the Ashen got his rocks off pun! Leave it to SL! Not sure if this counts toward the Derail award or the Dick Joke award! Or both! :rofl:

:dance: WooHoo! WooHoo! DeRail!

Hey, the Methow has very few claims to fame. Actually, only one...the USN dick pic.

We had a mac n scheeze party.

At dear sweet ma's casa.

I made the mac.

Large macaroni.

Butter.

Heavy cream.

HEB Easy Melt.

Shredded scheddar sheeze.

Sun dried toms.

Onion.

Garlic.

V & V sausage.

It was killer.

But not killer enough.

I splooged Mae Ploy on it.

And ate it with chopsticks.

IMG_2392.JPG

It was goodern' hell.

IMG_2396.jpg

It was so good.

But I made too much.

Dear sweet ma claimed half the leftovers.

My sister took the other half.

WTH family?

I got nuthin'.

OKAY- Show of hands.....

Who has started a NEW  Netflixs/Hulu/AmzPrimeVideo account since the SIP?
Who has UPPED their membership from Basic to Premium since SIP?
Who got a SLING account?  (cum on, you know you wanna fess up!!! ::: ) since SIP
Who actually got cable/satellite TV for the first time? since SIP

SIP = Shelter In Place

I hear Netflix's portfolio has doubled in the last 6 week.
 (I'm just kidding about that.  I don't actually know if their portfolio has doubled.  It really seriously could have!!!  And Hulu.)

Full disclosure on the Sling thing....

we were away from home at an airBnB during some playoff game a few years ago, pretty sure it was the Seahawks in some playoff.  The day before the BigGame, I signed up for a 7 day free trial package.  We got the game, managed to hook up the laptop to the hosts BigScreenTV, watched the game....... and made it home in time to cancel the subscription.  Because we had the rest of it on the home system.  But it did work great for the week we used it!
 ;)  :dance:

Pookie, you're such a tease~~~~  :rolleyes:

Notice I did spell You're correctly.
not your,
not yor,
not there,
not they're,
not there.........

Oh crap....I'm channeling and posting TB!!!!

A'ight!   We gotta up this a little bit. 

First off, THERE IS NO PRIZE
Second off- IT'S JUST FOR FUN
Third- because, Why Not!!! It's not like you got anything else to do?!?!???  RIGHT?!?!???

This weeks cooking ingredient is .....

LENTILS!  Or PEAS, ....or maybe even Beans.  maybe Garbanzo in a hummus.....????HHHHMMMMM?????

Cook Something and post it with LENTILS! Or a similar legume or bean if that's what you have. 

And because we know that there has to be Plan-Ahead cooking, next week the mystery ingredient will be PINEAPPLE.   SSSshhhhhhh!!!!!  Don't tell!!!! :lol:

Back