• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

I admit that i am cooking more... Aside trying to making bread (and having decent results being absolutely unsatisfied) today has been gyoza day!
I just followed first recipe in google (this and this for wrappers) and changed a bit ingredients:
pork, cabbage, turmeric, some hot calabrese annuums, black and white pepper. soy sauce, pampero rum, red onion, garlic, evo.
And farro to dust. I had open that one, so...
For the sauce i made the okonomiyaki one: mayo, ketckup, worchester and soy sauce.

I wasn't able to make them pretty (and i'm sure i'll never be), but they tasted really good!

CrRrcBQ.jpg

NGJ0BtP.jpg

rHLIP6b.jpg

bKyusV3.jpg

sKA5K2C.jpg

BgqSMgz.jpg

hT9LpQe.jpg

EPzewBY.jpg

5ArS5gx.jpg

I made fried rice and fried shrimp. I used Costco's Asian veggie blend, added onions, bell peppers and ginger with a homemade stir fry sauce.
Pro Tip I learned in Spain= add a dollop of your favorite Mayo to make it creamy and it adds zip from the lemon. I also had to add some Sambal Orlek hot sauce.
100_59721.JPG

7KkHsWl.jpg

Frozen Spinach, Sour Cream, Mayo, Spinach Dip Seasoning mix, Dried Aji Blend flaked
KUkMWD9.jpg

Frozen Spinach is certainly not the most attractive looking...
Just wait.

QlwNHdV.jpg

It's gettin there

S3YfLYG.jpg
Spinach Dip Seasonings; Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Spices, etc. 

B9nVSMi.jpg
my Aji Confetti flake blend

G4zpMQN.jpg

Mixed
ppG0Uf4.jpg

Served on toasted french bread

this will go well as a dip, as a spread on sandwiches, or even just as a snack

GIP I knew where you were going with that....That dip and a crusty baguette is dinner for me. 

WM, can't go wrong with steaks on the grill. 
PtMD~  Cook something and post it, even if it is top ramen with sriracha! 

We gotta keep our spirits and heat tolerances up. 

Now, based on Essegi's dumpling post yesterday, that inspired tonight's dinner and my first attempt at gyoza.
IMG_20200328_131856795.jpg

What I found in the fridge/freezer/pantry-
Hanks breakfast sausage-1 pound/454g
red onion 1/3 cup fine diced
shredded carrot (no cabbage :shrug:) 1/4c
2 sad scallions that got trimmed up
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 tbsp ginger- frozen shredded
sprinkle of yellow blend hot pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1 tsp EVOO
1 tsp Mongolian fire oil (spicy sesame oil_
2 tsp tamari (soy sauce)

I followed the link Essegi posted for the wraps.  Flour, salt, boiling water, mix, knead, rest, cut, roll out....
IMG_20200328_135159971.jpg

Hmmm... what to use for  3" cookie cutter....i was looking for a round salsa tub lid to cut around with a knife when I saw THIS!  Juice pitcher lid FTW!!!
IMG_20200328_142803065.jpg

IMG_20200328_144651428.jpg

Stuffed and pinched....
IMG_20200328_152227707.jpg

I'm working and working in the kitchen and after 45 minutes,

Hubby asks...what are you doing?
Me- Making Dumplings.
He- how many have you done?
Me----uuuummmm....13?????

Let's just say if there's ever an opening for a dumpling maker at a dumpling factory.....I Ain't Applying!  Especially if it's piecework!!!!

Okay, back to the cook---browned up the bottoms nicely in a straight sided fry pan, Veg oil with a dash of Mongolian fire oil (i mean, really...this is the HOT pepper, right? )   Added about 1/3c water and the lid, let it steam for.....3-4 minutes????
IMG_20200328_153219941.jpg

Made a sauce out of 1/4c mayo, 2 tsp sambal, 2 tsp tamari, 1 tsp ginger and a tbsp or 2 of water to loosen it up.
IMG_20200328_153846548.jpg

IMG_20200328_154111667.jpg

There were some wrapper scraps left, so I rolled them out, cut into pieces, cleaned out the pan and melted some butter and oil.....fried the pieces on both sides, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  Now, Here's the trick with cinnamon sugar, and especially when doing some fried skins like these. 

Toast on the first side, turn over and toast on the 2nd side.  Now, when you remove the crispies from the pan Turn Over and sprinkle the sugar on the HOT side, then dust with cinnamon.

IMG_20200328_155400380.jpg

We were pretty pleased with the results considering I've never done this before.  I thought I had the wrappers reeeeaaallly thin, but after cooking they were a bit chewy.  Just a bit.  Not Bad though~..

The wrapper recipe said there should be something like 50 wrappers, I got enough for 15.  Which consequently means I have half of the pork mixture left over.  Not To Worry... tomorrow is Welsh Pasties! 
IMG_20200328_155149210.jpg

Everyone Keep Clam and Cook On! 

OMG!!!! TB is Right! I'm loosing it..... FAIL to SL!!!

Sheesh i even failed to spell FAIl with all caps right...Just didn't look right.

Ashen said:
You will notice, she never told us what was in her "juice pitcher" . ;) When I was a kid I saw my Dad fill his " juice pitcher" often from the barrel or Demijohn in the fruit cellar.

Heck by the time we were 10 my sisters and I could siphon wine like depression era hobo stealing gas.
:lol:  just some OJ in the pitcher, for honey's mixed drink.  I got the boxen...plural for box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cYS6aGstU

I forgot to post the evening entertainment- Rin Tin Tin
IMG_20200328_203446615.jpg

Just for fun, can you name these rock bands? This has been going around on Faceplant, might of seen it...
91319655_662909797778309_9216174741113536512_n.jpg

Ok. I dunno what is going on with the Edit gremlins,,,,I have edited the previous poster 4 times to correct "spamural" to "plural"....

Back