• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

salsalady said:
Oh, SHOOT!  All my posts have been disqualified...I didn't include the "money" shot!  :lol:

And Bay Leaf in the soup.  I like using bay leaves, John doesn't get it, and gives me a bad time whenever he finds one.  Whatever, I know it helps in the stew, beans, or whatever. 

I used to work in the kitchen at a Job Corp center back in the late 80's.  One time a kid found a bay leaf in his food, came up to the serving line throwing a big ol' fit accusing the cooks of putting trees in the food.  The cook had to take him back into the kitchen and open the spice jar to prove it wasn't from the rhododendron bushes outside.  :rolleyes:

The campus also housed some mentally ill patients.  There was this one guy Wally, who was a pretty sweet, timid and sensitive guy.  One day, Wally came up to the serving line with his tray of food, really upset, almost crying.  He'd spilled his glass of milk onto his tray.  It was all I could do not to bust up laughing as I told him, "it's OK Wally, no use crying over spilt milk."

True Story. 
my wife is portuguese and uses bayleaf in many dishes. to me it tastes like leaves off a tree. i believe bayleaf, rhododendron and mountain laurel are in the same family. everyone`s taste is different and either you love it or hate it. its like cilantro where you love it or hate it. same with black pepper, either you love it or hate it. i put black pepper on everything. 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
my wife is portuguese and uses bayleaf in many dishes. to me it tastes like leaves off a tree. i believe bayleaf, rhododendron and mountain laurel are in the same family. everyone`s taste is different and either you love it or hate it. its like cilantro where you love it or hate it. same with black pepper, either you love it or hate it. i put black pepper on everything. 
I never thought of bay leaf in that LoveIt/HateIt category. 

Lavender is another LI/HI things. 

John HATES cilantro, I Like/Love it.  He doesn't seem to hate the taste of bay leaves, just kind of doesn't get them.  But when I use them in a stew, he Loves the end product.   

Geeme's a definite HATEIT for all things Black Pepper.  Hence the  little attachment "sorry, geeme" when posting about a dish that contains black pepper, that if it didn't contain black pepper, geeme would probably LOVE the dish.  ~~~

keybrdkid said:

On that note, the next time I go to the store I'm going to have to look for some more yeast. I've heard its getting pretty hard if not impossible to find. But I had some on hand, so I haven't really needed to go to the store for it-- plus I've been buying 3-4 standard sandwich loaves for the family each time I go to the store. You'd be surprised how many meals you can get out of grilled cheese.. lol.

Since we're pretty much on food rationing of sorts, we try to limit our trips to the store. I have an elderly family member who lives at the house. So any trips out to the store have to be done with extreme caution. I was wearing masks and gloves before that became a thing. I remember gettings stares for it. Now you get stares for not wearing one. lol.  So grocery trips like once a week or every two week trips only. 
John hasn't been in a store in a month.  I am passing through town occasionally  so I get to go into the petri dish also known as the grocery store.  Our 2 local stores now have the PlexiGlass shields up, but the store employees, who are walking around, handling the produce and the meat, stocking the shelves...are NOT wearing masks!  Some are wearing bandanas, most aren't. 

KBK, you've been ahead of the curve with your Elder.  Good on you guys.  If you need some yeast, hit me up~  I haven't looked at the local store.  They seem to be well stocked with fresh bread so maybe there hasn't been a run on the RedStar up here.

Hanks has taken to dividing up the toilet paper into 2-packs.  The shelves are stocked with the traditional plastic grocery bags with 2 rolls of toilet paper in each.  I should of taken a picture;.....and signs saying "2 rolls per person per trip" .....

Well, that's not part of our Quarantine Cooking thread so, NEVER MIND!!!!

This public service announcement is provided with support from Texas Creek Products. 

WARSH YER HANDS!!!!

We now return you to your previous entertainment.

And...as of about 10 minutes ago.....the hummers are back! Time to get the juice out...

salsalady said:
I never thought of bay leaf in that LoveIt/HateIt category. 

Lavender is another LI/HI things. 

John HATES cilantro, I Like/Love it.  He doesn't seem to hate the taste of bay leaves, just kind of doesn't get them.  But when I use them in a stew, he Loves the end product.   

Geeme's a definite HATEIT for all things Black Pepper.  Hence the  little attachment "sorry, geeme" when posting about a dish that contains black pepper, that if it didn't contain black pepper, geeme would probably LOVE the dish.  ~~~

Bay leaf. dont mind it.

Lavendar. don't use it often, but its not bad in lemonade.

Cilantro... not a fan. To me it tastes like soap. I leave it out of most recipes. 

Black pepper. don't mind it. sorry geeme. lol.

salsalady said:
John hasn't been in a store in a month.  I am passing through town occasionally  so I get to go into the petri dish also known as the grocery store.  Our 2 local stores now have the PlexiGlass shields up, but the store employees, who are walking around, handling the produce and the meat, stocking the shelves...are NOT wearing masks!  Some are wearing bandanas, most aren't. 

KBK, you've been ahead of the curve with your Elder.  Good on you guys.  If you need some yeast, hit me up~  I haven't looked at the local store.  They seem to be well stocked with fresh bread so maybe there hasn't been a run on the RedStar up here.

Hanks has taken to dividing up the toilet paper into 2-packs.  The shelves are stocked with the traditional plastic grocery bags with 2 rolls of toilet paper in each.  I should of taken a picture;.....and signs saying "2 rolls per person per trip" .....

Well, that's not part of our Quarantine Cooking thread so, NEVER MIND!!!!

I did take some photos...

here was the deli meat section of Wal-Mart at one point:

coronavirusfood1.jpg

And here was the toilet paper section likely currently of a different store:

coronavirusfood2.jpg

It is like hurricane season, but at least the A/C is still on!

salsalady said:

SL. 2 friends( brothers) and I rented a townhouse together when I was in my twenties.

The one brother was so bad about buying TP that eventually , the other brother and I would just bring our own rolls with us and then take it back to our rooms. He would often steal TP from his work but if he forgot he would have to go to 7-11 if things became urgent ,so to speak. At the time 7-11 would sell a two roll TP package.

Short story long, that is why we started calling him "2pack shi++*r". ;)

Ashen, I never had a real opportunity to live with roommates as how you describe.  I think John could relate.  Closest encounter was.....when I slept with my husbands brother.  Yep.  True Story....

The rest of the story is....
Their parents had sold a house and were getting rid of all the "schtuff" including furniture.  John was working full time, so I took the Suburban and an small U-Haul trailer to Seattle to pick up a bunch of stuff.  The MovingVan was scheduled for Off-Load the next day.  OK...

So...I arrive at the house in a rural area of Seattle, Ballard-ish....I don't specifically remember...

Rob was living with 2 other guys in a 3 story house.  I climbed up to the 3rd story room, which was Rob's room, which had a toilet tucked under an eve and a big King mattress on the floor.....and the toilet was CLOGGED!!!  Frickin' Typical ROB!  He'd try to drop the kids off at the pool and The Seattle Aquarium would call complaining about the lack of water!!!  Keep in mind he'd lived with us for several summer while in college.....so I kinda had an inkling about those things~~

Ok, So I know he's a slob and will clog any toilet....whatever...we're going out on the town!  Which We Did!  hit some local bars, closed up the local joint, stumbled up to the 3rd floor and crashed out for the night.

In the MORNING>>>>>>>

I woke up to the worst dog breath....and I'm not talking about the hangover drunk dog breath!!!  Rob's 60 pound Red Heeler was lying in between us on the mattress on the floor.  Facing ME!!!    EEEEEWWWWW!  Don't worry, we had our last night's cloths on.

But it was right about the time when the moving van was showing up and we had to transfer stuff from the movers to my U-Haul, and it was about 7:00AM and ........OOOOOooooo Mama was NOT feeling Happy!!!!!!

That was one of those... prolly should not have been driving because I prolly was pretty much still half drunk.........

I remember driving the Suburban with the UHaul trailer behind it through the narrow residential streets of Ballard until I managed to find I-5, ( no idea how I managed to NOT hit any cars in the tight parking of the city.....)  then , 5 hours later, I made it home.

Oh  I forgot to mention....John had a piece for the french bread today, and he said it tasted 'flat'.   OK, that's when I confessed it didn't have any SALT in the bread.  He'd had no idea, but as soon as I said no salt, it was  ~lightbulb~  Oh yea, that's it.

Heyaz, haven't posted up stuff for like...
SIP pizza.
Standard pizza dough, proofed 3 hrs, CBF.
Second proof in oiled skillet.
On the gas until first wisp of smoke then under the broiler until stuff starts burning.
Home made sriracha with smoky dried random indian dry chillies. Dang they got some heat though.
5 pestled anchovy fillets spread round, then generic cheap ass tasty cheese and a Tbs garlic powder.

Attachments

• 20200414_180807.jpg
    20200414_180807.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200414_180819.jpg
    20200414_180819.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
Pizza base with Kewpie mayo, garlic powder and fresh cracked black pepper.

Tinned tuna in olive oil with a mushed up anchovy fillet mixed through. Sliced sweated onion on top.

Topped with shredded tasty cheese and pan fried, finished under the broiler.

Finished with smoky dried Thai chilli powder, pinch of sea salt and extra splooge of Kewpie mayo.

Attachments

• 20200417_120232.jpg
    20200417_120232.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200417_121026.jpg
    20200417_121026.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200417_123540.jpg
    20200417_123540.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200417_124113.jpg
    20200417_124113.jpg