• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

S.S.Tupperware's Orlando Grow Log 2012

Hi all... Here is my grow log for the 2012 season... I will try and post pics as often as I can.

To start with I needed some source of heat to try and germinate my seeds with better results than last year, that said i figured i would put one of my old water bed heaters to good use. Took some leftover wood and stuff from some jobs i had done, and made a heated bed to start seeds on. I framed a 24x42 box, added plywood for a bottom, laid a piece of 3/4 in. radiant barrier foam on the bottom, followed by a piece of cement backer board on top of that. Then I secured the thermostat from the heater, laid in the heater and the temp probe...

002-8.jpg

Then I proceeded to put in 2 bags of sand for a thermal mass to help regulate how often the heater comes on and to keep the temps from varying too much. It goes from 75 deg. up to 100deg.

004-11.jpg

It will hold 3 10x20 flats and has a lil room for misc. ziplock/coffee filter seeds also.

005-8.jpg

I will probably build a small foam box to cover it to help keep the heat in. I guess when I'm done the cat has a nice heated litter box...NOT!!
I haven't quite got my list down yet, so many people were generous with seeds I'm not sure which ones will make the cut for this year. I know I am not going to grow as many superhots as last year, I plan on some for stuffing, and general eating. The wife likes peppers, but won't do anything hotter than Jalapeno poppers. So I plan on growing some she can cook with and such, some for seasoning powders, and some for sauces that the rest of the family will eat. I'm only growing for the fun of it, and not for a profit, so I will have a variety instead of growing 5 of 1 kind. I might start some superhots to try and sell to help cover operating costs for the year, I figure 50 @ 3$ apiece for ones in a 4 in pots should cover it, if not I will pass them along to friends and neighbors. I will be cutting down a crappy lime tree to make room for 2 or 3 more 4x8 raised beds, and some will be grown in pots to over winter next year. I still have all my plants from this year growing and producing like crazy... tomorrow might be the first night with frost, so I am only going to attempt to save one choco bhut that still has a hundred pods on it or so. The beds i will let nature take it's course so I can add one timber higher on the existing beds and work the soil with a fresh load of composted horse manure. I failed on my labeling last year and relied on volunteers last year and let me tell ya 1 Tabasco is enough, I sure didn't need 8 taking up valuable space. I will probably start my seeds in the next few days since I can probably have them out by mid to late Febuary.

I guess 'over-wintering' is a whole different thing down there--like there IS NONE. You could probably just scatter pepper seeds around and come back a month later with a machete to thin the jungle.... :cool:

Seeds are poping up all over where pods fell, I hate to pull them, but... A few I will pot up, especially if my Choco Bhut sprouts in the pot, since it;s all by itself. I finally had a couple Brains sprout, and another 4 or so still in the coffee filter... some Yellow Scotch Bonnets are showing signs of life, gonna pull them outta the filter and put in dirt. I might go get me a batch of rapid rooters to give them a try, but not sure... I still have a couple slabs of horticubes left. I have a couple clamshells with horticubes in them with more seeds popping
downsized_0129121725b.jpg

The first flat is doing good, some are movin faster than others, so they have been potted up and put out...
downsized_0129121726.jpg

The small clamshell is Red Bhuts for friends and such, the larger is 9 Aji Deluce, and the rest are Car Red Habs, for friends and such.
My Chimays are shedding their seed cap, i am excited to try these... One of my 6-4's is gettin a lil color on the pod, this will be a first time taster as well... I am hoping once I get them going enough to make some kick ass Relenos, I can't get enough of them.
On a side note, the Atlantic was 70 Deg, Pompano were biting, got 5 of them and a few Whiting... for those of ya who never had a Pomp, ya don;t know what your missin...

downsized_0129121232.jpg

Mistress Delicious has a way of makin the best Pompano Roulade you have ever tasted, herbs, butter, and assorted seafood,, Octopus, squid,mussels,shrimp,etc...
PompanoRoulade009-1.jpg

Well thats all for now, have some oysters to steam in a lil while.

Man Conrad that is awesome you had some Brains finally pop. You will see the devastation they can cause your intestines soon enough. That fish looks fabulous!

wow; great weather, great setup, great plants, great food, and good ferts for the garden if the cats don't dig em up.

Looks like you are having a ton of fun and just might be a record breaking year for you! Congrats, nicely done ace.;o)

SC

I don't use the scraps for ferts, I chum at the lake with any lerftovers... I do however add loads of seaweed and alage from the lake. I rake it out to keep the swimmin hole clean, so I have a sheet of alum I rake it onto to drain, then into the beds or pots. If it even sits on the groung for 48 hours its filled with earthworms, they eat it up fast.I potted up another 20 plants or so today, and set them out on the table in the sun. the ones out there for a few days now have really gained some color, and some are on the third set of leaves... The scorpion in the ground has even more growth, and I see the formation of flowers, It had a few that set, but the cold snap made um drop. i think what makes this year so exciting for me, is all the different varities I am now growing thanks to ya'll. i know the Dehydrator will be busy this year, I have been runnin a want ad on CL fro a Excall dehydrator, but only one responce and it was for a small one, but it's still early. things are really sproutin early around here this year, trees are flowering that usuall don;t til the start of March... I guess that means the weeds will get an early start as well.;;

I guess i can say I offically planted out for the season, well not really, put some in 2 weeks ago... There takin hold and gettin ready to explode... I did plant up another 18 plants into 4x4 then into a flat outside. I have been lucky with the weather that i can get seedlings out in the sun already. I'll get some pics in a day or 2 when a lil more happens. I did pick a box of ripe pods and send them off this morn...

Hey, SST! Just got a chance to check some grow logs tonight - you have some
great lookin' seedlings. It's cool to see those little cube things in action. I saw their
web site, and was very intrigued by the concept - how long have you been using 'em?

first season, I got them as a sample, and glad i did... i would have been disappointed if i bought them. They work well for larger seed though, I might try some rapid rooters but I'm not sure.

A few that previously sprouted wern't doin so good, so i started another 18 flat tray, 3 seeds 3 pots of each... Yellow 7, Red7, Choco 7, Madballz, Butch T's. Well see how they go. I had ferts in my pump up for watering some, but forgot and dosed the sprouts, and kinda cooked them.

I get so jealous when I read you southern folks grow logs. Seedlings and pods, seedlings and pods. You've got a great grow going on and I'm drooling over it. Best of luck to you.

Hate to hear about burning the sprouts, hope the new seeds fill the gap.

Yeah I'll just replant... I think the madballz are from you Patrick, any insight on these... Gonna meet up with Romy6 this weekend, and swap some pods... Hoping to put more Pomps in the freezer, headin to the condo for my Bday tomorrow, funny actually same as Jamies daughter... I have more that I'll plant up Monday, gonna look thru my seeds and see which ones i will plant. My mom paints oils, and just about verything else... I have been gettin driftwood from the beach for her to paint, so I got this for my Pepper Patch, I like it, gonna hang it out there...
001-15.jpg

It's very cool to see how things happen in a great growing climate.
You've created some nice spaces in your yard. Must be very
enjoyable to work in.

I do like to spend time out there...
001-14.jpg

Carolina Cayanne starting to get some color...
002-11.jpg

6-4 starting to show color too, can't wait to try these roasted and filled with something...
003-11.jpg

Scotch Bonnet kinda starting to turn, gonna make Piclese with the first ones harvested...
005-13.jpg

This red Scorp is really coming back with a vegence, this one is starting to get flowers all over it...
007-5.jpg

Yellow Cardi Scorp, from Jamie, one nice pod, but I put it in the ground last week, and is doin good, and really starting to take off, lil flowers all over. This one should be a real producer...
008-8.jpg

Datil in the horse shavings are still doin good, I'm gonna treat these beds more like a coco then dirt, since nothing is composted yet...
I always think I'm done then somehow i end up with more seeds... will it ever end...

Glad ya liked it... I have put all my plants out of the box, and will be shutting it down.. it is just getting too hot when it hits 83 or so. Besides it worked well, and I'll save a few bucks on the power bill. I guess the next big hurdle is enough soil for a bunch of pots... I have too many for in the ground, and would like to be able to move some around during the heat of the summer. All the ones that were yellow look great now that there out in the sun, they did a complete turn around in 48 hours or so. I went out back and filled a bucket with the alage/seaweed from the lake, topped off with water, put a lid on and now we'll wait. I hear great things about the benifits of a seaweed solution, so I figured I would give it a try. When it's done I think I will spray a hundred sq ft of lawn on the side lot, so it will be evident if it works or now. Since I live on a lake I really don't fertalize the lawn or use pesticides. So the side lot it will be easy to see the difference...

Very nice. How are those Yellow Bhuts coming along?? Last I saw they looked amazing. Loving your grow sir.

Yellow Bhuts are really puttin on some growth, and pushin out loads of flowers, it should really take off this year, I have a red and a choco too... I'll get up a pic once the sun comes up... I have most of the peppers i want to keep, but I am starting a bunch to try and sell, and my neighbor is a fire fighter so i will pot up a few to keep at the station... i gave them some supers last year and they couldn't get enough. My wife manages a resturant at the local college, and a lot of people want some there too, so maybe she can help me unload a few.

Well my table is pretty much filled, and there moving along nicely....
001-16.jpg

Here it a lil closer on the larger ones...
002-13.jpg

Others are startin to ripen as well.
003-12.jpg

Everything is goin good. I seem to start more seeds almost everyday... I need to stop, runnin outta room. I will give a bunch away anyway, so it's all good...

Back