• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

S.S.Tupperware's Orlando Grow Log 2012

Hi all... Here is my grow log for the 2012 season... I will try and post pics as often as I can.

To start with I needed some source of heat to try and germinate my seeds with better results than last year, that said i figured i would put one of my old water bed heaters to good use. Took some leftover wood and stuff from some jobs i had done, and made a heated bed to start seeds on. I framed a 24x42 box, added plywood for a bottom, laid a piece of 3/4 in. radiant barrier foam on the bottom, followed by a piece of cement backer board on top of that. Then I secured the thermostat from the heater, laid in the heater and the temp probe...

002-8.jpg

Then I proceeded to put in 2 bags of sand for a thermal mass to help regulate how often the heater comes on and to keep the temps from varying too much. It goes from 75 deg. up to 100deg.

004-11.jpg

It will hold 3 10x20 flats and has a lil room for misc. ziplock/coffee filter seeds also.

005-8.jpg

I will probably build a small foam box to cover it to help keep the heat in. I guess when I'm done the cat has a nice heated litter box...NOT!!
I haven't quite got my list down yet, so many people were generous with seeds I'm not sure which ones will make the cut for this year. I know I am not going to grow as many superhots as last year, I plan on some for stuffing, and general eating. The wife likes peppers, but won't do anything hotter than Jalapeno poppers. So I plan on growing some she can cook with and such, some for seasoning powders, and some for sauces that the rest of the family will eat. I'm only growing for the fun of it, and not for a profit, so I will have a variety instead of growing 5 of 1 kind. I might start some superhots to try and sell to help cover operating costs for the year, I figure 50 @ 3$ apiece for ones in a 4 in pots should cover it, if not I will pass them along to friends and neighbors. I will be cutting down a crappy lime tree to make room for 2 or 3 more 4x8 raised beds, and some will be grown in pots to over winter next year. I still have all my plants from this year growing and producing like crazy... tomorrow might be the first night with frost, so I am only going to attempt to save one choco bhut that still has a hundred pods on it or so. The beds i will let nature take it's course so I can add one timber higher on the existing beds and work the soil with a fresh load of composted horse manure. I failed on my labeling last year and relied on volunteers last year and let me tell ya 1 Tabasco is enough, I sure didn't need 8 taking up valuable space. I will probably start my seeds in the next few days since I can probably have them out by mid to late Febuary.

Those ripening peppers look great! Would appreciate your sharing some
of that great weather with us poor, depraved deprived Pacific Northwest
folk. We can send you some nice, gentle, benign rain showers.

Weather is callin for 38 here Sun night, but it be back in the 80's probably Thurs. Gonna have to bring the trays in for the evening, I think i could actually see then grow today. they even had their first rain shower, it is amazing, nothing greens like rain when ya ain't had it...

I forgot to bring in my lil ones last night, they were a lil shriveled but lookin good in the afternoon... I have them in tonight though... I will drag them back out tomorrow, I am still getting new seeds sprouting almost everyday... Won't be too much longer til their go into pots or the ground...

Lil frost on the car... weather says 40 so we'll see once the sun comes up, I'm right between 2 lakes so it is probably a deg or 2 warmer. I think the in ground ones will be ok.

I put my starts back outside yesterday when i got home... they all look good, so I'm happy about that. Jamie your Yellow Scorp is starting to flower again... my other scorp is loaded with flowers, i think a week or so and a lot of them should open. Everything is good in the ground, I'm not sure if we'll get another cold snap, I doubt it but ya never know. It is suppose to be in the mid 80's in a day or two, and they will defiantly surge ahead for sure.
002-14.jpg

All back outside...
003-13.jpg

Nippon Taka, cool lookin, but all around nasty other than that...
004-14.jpg

My New-Mex 6-4's ripening... kinda excited about these, I love a Rellano/Stuffed pepper so these will be put to good use in a couple days. Were cookin chicken tonight, so might use some leftovers with rice and cheese, and put in the oven. If anyone has abetter idea, let me know. I will do a rellano, but when I have a bunch and will have some friends over. How's the heat on those in general?
005-14.jpg

Seed starting is a breeze here now... I was going to start some Choco Bhuts but I have one in a 60 gallon pot that dropped a hundred pods or so from a coldsnap, so I imagine another 2 weeks ago or so they will be every where in the pot. Since it's grown by itself, I'm confident it will be good.

Wow a "60 gallon pot!"
Why so big if you can plant in the ground? Is that a pot on a dolly that you bring in the garage under lights, perhaps a 5yr old?

Greg

No I filled it with mushroom compost and did some climbing tomatoes a 2 years ago, last year I decided to top it off and I ended up puttin that Choco Bhut in it. It was 4 ft with hundreds of pods, its coming back and is producing small flowers again...

The 6-4 has ripened to a nice deep red, nice pods 6 in long or so... I'll make something outta them tomorrow.All my plants are looking good, but 2 have bad frizzle top, I'm blaming that on too much ferts in the hole when i transplanted into the beds... i don't see bugs. I don't know why but my Brains always seem to get started and damp off, same everything and it's maybe only 1 in 25 or so kinda strange... bummer is I'm about out of seed. I have been potting up Pequins left and right, since it is in a pot, I assume every sprout are those, now close enough for other to fall in. I think I might make a hedge some where with them and work them with a hedge shear once they grow to shape them That would be kinda cool, and since I have them why not...

With the warm weather it seems like production has only slowed, not stopped... It is full swing of things now. i can never remember a winter as mild as this. I have a Car Red Hab, with 30 ripe pods and flowers just busting out everywhere. I am kinda torn I have peppers in the beds I don't want this year, but there not really doing well enough to try and pot them up and give them away... i guess I will grab a beer and sit-down and have a lil man to man with them and how there role in my hot pepper patch is no longer needed. Kinda like firing someone I guess, but it has to be done for the better good. and bigger picture!!! My wife's cousins are driving down from Toledo for the weekend So I'm gonna bring them some peppers to the condo, they keep saying they aint had one too hot yet... I'm sure their account is hot wing sauce, we'll see. Could be interesting. I am going to send them some dried pods to take home. I have jars of Bhuts and Fatallis, and such. If nothin else I'm sure they will enjoy the warmth... Kirk out...

I picked the 6-4's for tomorrow, but the wife is makin Enchiladas, so i decided to slice one up... not pepper taste at all for the most part, reminded me of a red grape, kinda strange... but it was fully ripened on the plant... I know I like it and will be using a lot of this one roasted...

Sounds interesting with a red grape flavour. Sounds like things are taking shape for a bumper crop once summer rolls around for you bro with the headstart you have already got through the mild winter. Nice work I hope it continues well for you . Keep us posted

Your grow set up and garden look mighty sweet! I'm really likin' that alot!But,I keep scrolling back to the pics of the Pompano roulade.Would like to be eating that for dinner as I looked over a
garden that produces so good!

You can make a roulade with salmon if ya want...
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Pepper-Basil-and-Turkey-Roulade-with-Basil-Sour-Cream-Sauce-105411
you get the idea, anything will work...

Made it back home, and everything is still alive... I like when ya come back after a few days... All my plants seemed to grow a lil while I'm gone, and seeds sprouted 3 Choco 7's, Tangerine Pimento, more Butch T's, some Red and Yellow 7's, Big Jim's, some Anehims, a few more 6-4's and a few more I can't remember. A lot of my in ground plants are starting to flower nicely, and really filling back out now. I'm starting to get some pods starting too, so I never ran out of fresh peppers this year which was nice... I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, it's all cloudy out now, but it's 80 and the plants are loving thew warm weather. Kirk Out!!

Well it's a fine day here in Orlando, a lil cloudy, but 81 or so... Everything is starting to take off, spring is officially here!!! The hawks were mating as well as the ducks, termites are swarmin', orange trees have blossoms on them, and bikinis are back out on the beach Wooo Hooo...
My Carolina Cayenne is flowering nicely,, and growing quickly... I like this one, a nice taste, and just enough heat everyone should like it dried as well as fresh.
001-17.jpg

This one Red Hab is gangbusters, I need to pick it, and start the dehydrator up, I have some others that need done too. It is probably 30 in from the ground already, and the new growth had 2 or 3 flowers per node... This one is going to be crazy and i need to try and keep track of how many pods off this plant. I didn't grow one last year, it stalled at 6 in in a pot, so i put it in the ground October or so I think I didn't really pay attention. You can see the yellow ghost Pepper doing nicely as well.
002-15.jpg

My one yellow cardi Scorp is ripening at the moment, it's on such a wee plant, it should take off one I pull the pod. It has lots of small flowers everywhere, but they seem to be holding back.
003-14.jpg

All the seedlings on the table are growing well, a few damped off, the damn cat walked across a few but didn't really trample any.
005-15.jpg

Just kinda an over all of a portion of the one bed, 4 will be going as well as a mess of pots...
006-14.jpg

My haileys dragon Fruit is pushin out new growth at quite a fast pace, looking forward to see what it will do, i need to finish the top of the stand, but will fool with that if or when it gets there.
007-6.jpg

I need to start to try and find some soil, I am going to have a lot of pots to fill, there doing some road work near here so maybe I can get a lil i have other stuff to add,, just need something to start with.

How fast and how prolific does that species of Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) produce fruit SS??

That Red hab is going Gangbusters !!

Back