• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

S.S.Tupperware's Orlando Grow Log 2012

Hi all... Here is my grow log for the 2012 season... I will try and post pics as often as I can.

To start with I needed some source of heat to try and germinate my seeds with better results than last year, that said i figured i would put one of my old water bed heaters to good use. Took some leftover wood and stuff from some jobs i had done, and made a heated bed to start seeds on. I framed a 24x42 box, added plywood for a bottom, laid a piece of 3/4 in. radiant barrier foam on the bottom, followed by a piece of cement backer board on top of that. Then I secured the thermostat from the heater, laid in the heater and the temp probe...

002-8.jpg

Then I proceeded to put in 2 bags of sand for a thermal mass to help regulate how often the heater comes on and to keep the temps from varying too much. It goes from 75 deg. up to 100deg.

004-11.jpg

It will hold 3 10x20 flats and has a lil room for misc. ziplock/coffee filter seeds also.

005-8.jpg

I will probably build a small foam box to cover it to help keep the heat in. I guess when I'm done the cat has a nice heated litter box...NOT!!
I haven't quite got my list down yet, so many people were generous with seeds I'm not sure which ones will make the cut for this year. I know I am not going to grow as many superhots as last year, I plan on some for stuffing, and general eating. The wife likes peppers, but won't do anything hotter than Jalapeno poppers. So I plan on growing some she can cook with and such, some for seasoning powders, and some for sauces that the rest of the family will eat. I'm only growing for the fun of it, and not for a profit, so I will have a variety instead of growing 5 of 1 kind. I might start some superhots to try and sell to help cover operating costs for the year, I figure 50 @ 3$ apiece for ones in a 4 in pots should cover it, if not I will pass them along to friends and neighbors. I will be cutting down a crappy lime tree to make room for 2 or 3 more 4x8 raised beds, and some will be grown in pots to over winter next year. I still have all my plants from this year growing and producing like crazy... tomorrow might be the first night with frost, so I am only going to attempt to save one choco bhut that still has a hundred pods on it or so. The beds i will let nature take it's course so I can add one timber higher on the existing beds and work the soil with a fresh load of composted horse manure. I failed on my labeling last year and relied on volunteers last year and let me tell ya 1 Tabasco is enough, I sure didn't need 8 taking up valuable space. I will probably start my seeds in the next few days since I can probably have them out by mid to late Febuary.

Hey, Conrad - you are living in a pepper jungle there!
Great pics, from sprouts to pods, everything is looking
just peachy! Good luck going into summer!

Went out and pulled some weeds and just general maintenance, man there's a lot of pods hiding under the canopy. There growing so fast right now, you can almost watch um... I am liking the way this year is shaping up, so many new varieties, and being able to have them to such a nice size already is gonna be great in another month or two.

Plants are looking splendid Conrad. We gotta hook up soon. Gonna be in G'ville this weekend so maybe next weekend we can hang out and power down some :drunk:

Let me translate for ya Jamie.... "I am gonna be too busy picking pods and boozing on my own to have company, I don't know if you have noticed, but I am kind of a big deal...."

Who needs GoogleTranslate...

It''s a nice sunny day here today... jet skis are cruising around like angry bumble bees... So i decided a quick update was in order and a few pics...
My Yellow Cardi Scorpion I got from Jamie is kickin azz. It has quite a few pods set on it now.
002-18.jpg

As well as a ton of flowers gettin ready to do their thing.

009-3.jpg

My Red Bhut is just like the Scorpion, flowers every where, it's going to be a bumper crop for sure.
004-16.jpg

These Bishops Crowns are growin a bit larger than last years pods, so that a good thing there...

007-8.jpg

All my lil ones on the table are growing like crazy, I had to move the table as the sun is gettin too much, the plants can handle it, but it dries out the lil pots too quick.

005-16.jpg

Thats about all for now, I have a few trays of bhuts and 7's to pot up in a week or so. I will probably move some into my super hot bed, have one bed I'm saving for just super hots. I already have Bhuts in the ground from last year in 3 colors, so i am planing Red, Yellow, and Choco 7's, Johan 7, Brain Strain, Butch T, Douglah, Dorset Naga, Trinidad Scorpion, and one or two others. That would fill the bed and give me plenty of pods, I'm sure some will also be planted in pots as well.One bed will be dedicated to others that aren't necessarily hot... Tunisian Baclaudi( Jamie turned me onto these, there great stuffed), Lumbre, Chimmayo, Tangerine Pimento, and unknown Pimento, Aji Deluce, and a few other seasoning type peppers. I do have some crosses I got doing well a Bhut x Douglah,
Madballz, Peach scorperano, and I have a Peach Habolukia form Aji Joe last year that is filled with pods. I did manage to try some last year, and a really nice peach color when ripe, and hot as the sun.

Damn cat... musta been trying to pounce on something and broke off a few branches on my Yellow Cardi where the pod in the first pic last post. Oh well, there's more, but those were the biggest... maybe I'll pick upp some cheap tomato cages...

Damn cat... musta been trying to pounce on something and broke off a few branches on my Yellow Cardi where the pod in the first pic last post. Oh well, there's more, but those were the biggest... maybe I'll pick upp some cheap tomato cages...

Clone it, storm broke some limbs of my Bhut`s, i dipped them in that powder stuff & clipped the leaves off & bingo!! new plants.

Mezo.

Thanks all.... I could clone it but I have more... I still have a good portion of the plant, it's just the left side... I wouldn't clone the cat one is enough, she's cool for a cat keeps the birds and squirrels out of the garden, and when she see's me pick up the pellet gun she gets all excited and waits for me to do some pest control. I'll try and get some pics up later today...

Looking super duper Conrad. :eek:

Now I know why I keep telling my wife and daughter we will get a cat next year :rofl:

Your plants are looking great all around, Conrad.
You will definitely be in pod heaven come summer!

Clone it, storm broke some limbs of my Bhut`s, i dipped them in that powder stuff & clipped the leaves off & bingo!! new plants.

Mezo.

I wanted to like this post, but I'm too positive. How's that plant doing, Mezo?

Well time for an update... Things are really starting to happen now The plants are really taking off, the ones from this year are starting to flower and the new growth is amazing. Kinda funny thing though I have a over winter that thinks she's a scorpion...

001-18.jpg

Not will the real Scorpion stand up...
002-19.jpg

The first pic was a Fatalli, have quite a few pods like that... Not sure why I don't think the flower came off like it should being so early in the year... I see if it keeps puttin them out like that.
My Yellow Bhuts are cranking out the pods... the Red and Choco look just like it, but there still green.

003-16.jpg

My red Hab loaded with pods, it over taking the yellow Bhut next to it. If ya look closley and see the red pod, you can also see the top of the tomato cage it has grown past So far i have gotten 32 pods off of it already this year, I'm going to see if this one will put out 300, that's my hope anyway...

004-17.jpg

Here is a couple random plant shots, these are in pots i also have some in the ground... Indian Carbon Bhut, Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Mad Ballz, Red fatalli, Johan 7 pot
005-17.jpg

006-17.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-10.jpg

009-4.jpg

This is the bed I started earlier with newspaper on the bottom, probably 6-8 inches of lake weeds and alage I raked out of the swimmin hole, another 6 in or so of horse manure and shavings, the a month or two later i got some dirt for the top. I planted a couple in the chip/ weeds and they are growing like gang nusters, and that was before I added dirt, and I have never threw any ferts in there either... This is my flavoring bed, an unknown Pimento for the Hydro store the guy gave me, a Lumbre, Tangerine Pimento, Chimmayo, Tunesian Baclaudi,Fish and an Aneheim, I have room for a few more, I had to re start my Aji Deluce and the rest will probably be installed next week.
012-3.jpg

I have some Cedar panels I made up from an old Spa, to make a solar Dehydrator... I never got around to much more than that. I was getting Clorine at the Spa place since they sell in bulk ,, well they had half a dozen old spas with cedar siding. So I am going to make a trip up there and see if i can get ahold of more for this project, I already have Plex and the wife brought me home some Aluminum Sighnage that nice and shiny that willmake a nice collector, and I have assorted misc. parts like hinges screws and larches. I am going to try and get it going soon. Heres a link that has some cool solar plans for things.
http://www.builditso...king.htm#Drying

Well it's officially summer... 92 today, gonna be a cooker this year. Well I potted up 25 more red bhuts, 30 or so yellow 7's I will probably do the choco 7's and bhuts today. They have been selling well on Cl so I am at least getting some of my coin back for supplies, and I'll be happy to break even.
011-4.jpg

Probably the earliest I have seen my Bananas fruit...
I am getting some cool pods set... Jamaican Red Mushroom is a cool pod...
003-17.jpg

my fish is starting to get variegated, I forget it did that and was wondering when it would quit gettin sunburned.

001-19.jpg

A golden Calamundo I think is how ya spell it... I got it in a SASE from someone, and I can't find anything out on the web... maybe one of the naming things... LOL.
004-18.jpg

First year with the Infinity, kinda fussy about settin pods, but there settin a lil better now.

005-18.jpg

Red Bhuts are coming in HUGE this year...and a lot of them, my Yellow and Choco look the same.
006-18.jpg

Trini Scorps are settin pods like crazy, my Yellow Cardi is the same way... I have some Butch T Scorps, but there still on the smallside.

008-11.jpg

Pequin is starting to ripen I really like these peppers even though there on the small side and seedy as hell, kinda like some of my friends...
009-5.jpg

Tabasco is podding well too, this year there a lot bigger also I know it's a common pepper, but these things pack a good punch. I like to dry them keep them whole in a jar next to the stove.

012-4.jpg

It has been such a warm winter my Sweet 100 is already above the fence and it's not stopping...

Outstanding!
It's great to see a well established garden will backup bumper crop plants right behind.
That Pequin is going "nuts" with chili's. Seedy is right but if your drying them that not a problem when cracking them in a strainer. But when fresh I cook them down with other ingredients and use the finest disc in my food mill. That gets ride of the seeds.......no tooth picks needed!
Great looking plants, I'm looking for to some more garden photos

Greg

011-5.jpg

The sweet 100

I am goin to plant my super hot bed this after noon, it's gonna be in the 90's again, so I figure I'll wait til the shade hits that area and they will have a break til in the morning. There already outside since I started them so they should be OK. I figure I can do 10 So I am thinkin Red, Yellow, Choco 7's Butch T, Douglah, Red Brain Strain, Dorset Naga, Madballz, Peach Habolukia, and i have a few others to see if they make the cut. I have a few more for the spice bed, just waiting for my Aji Deluce to get a lil bigger and I have a couple more still to put in there. I also am planting most of what I have in the ground in pots so I can move them around if the sun get to be too much this year...

Back