• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nice work Pic1, do you shoot against black or you post edit? 

Neither..........Although in the past I used black muslin and velvet materials for low key photography. The  food ingredient shot was on my kitchen counter ( which is Tan/Black Granite). The light source was strictly windowlight from the kitchen window (right). Although not the photographers dream of "Northlight" this was actually light from the East facing window, late afternoon reflected light. The light falloff from subject highlights compared to the background is probably 4 f/stops which creates the dark background.  
The camera is a crummy little pocket Canon camera.........point and shoot. As far as editing....I do that in the viewfinder before I shoot. From all the transparency film I shot through the yrs, I've learned even if your spot on with the color or ambient meter...Its still better to bracket the exposure by +/- 1 f/stop from the correct exposure..........there was no leeway,(not like print film that was more forgiven as the lab could color correct)...

I shoot a few extra shots of what I take and determine what fits in here.

Chris,
Natural lighting shots appeal to the eye. The broader the light source, the softer the light. However, too soft of light can turn and exposure flat looking with no highlight/shadow detail.
You can get a natural or ambient type photo even when using artifical lighting. I've got scrims that I used in harsh lit situations. No need to buy those though...a simple wood or pvc frame can be used with a translucent or opaque material, fabric or just a plain simple old white window sheer. As long the material passes the light through it will scatter and diffuse the amout thats falling unto the subject. No matter if its studio lighting or recessed lighting in the kitchen.

Ha, sorry I forgot this is the sandwich thread.......shoot on !

I reckon SOTM Sausage was a goodern' y'all and I had something unusual in mind for March but then I had a V-8 moment.

Duh.

It's Mardi Gras time.

Time to revisit an old favorite.

I therefore declare SOTM March to be PO'BOYS!!!!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Lol I am reposting mine from a few nights ago bahahahaha

Accepted.

It was that good lookern'!

I my 'sef am jonesin' for some oyster or shrimp po' boy.

Fried.

I don't give a damn.

I want it!!!

texas blues said:

Accepted.

It was that good lookern'!

I my 'sef am jonesin' for some oyster or shrimp po' boy.

Fried.

I don't give a damn.

I want it!!!
No oysters tonight but I might make a shrimp po boy since I snagged a few pounds of fresh heads on XL's from NC! My favorite shrimp on the planet. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
No oysters tonight but I might make a shrimp po boy since I snagged a few pounds of fresh heads on XL's from NC! My favorite shrimp on the planet. 

That opens up the debate over which is better.

Texas Gulf/Third Coast shrimps vs. NC shrimps.

Alaska could make an argument but I've eaten plenty of Prince William Sound pink shrimp.

PWS are good but small and lack the sweetness of warm water shrimps and can be dang bland.

Gimme' that shrimp po' boy anyhow.

Dressed but no lettuce.

And heavy on the pickles.

And your choice of splooge.

Tartar. Cajun. Or your horsey cocktail.

I want it now!

Got news for you pal, there is no comparison for Gulf shrimps. AK may be the best place in the world for crab and salmon, but no way on the shrimps. I am looking forward to this month's sammies. Good call with Mardi Gras and all.

I have had shrimp from around the world. Get yourself some NC green tails and you will never want another shrimp from anywhere else again. A friend of mine didn't believe me now he will drive 100 miles or more to score some!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have had shrimp from around the world. Get yourself some NC green tails and you will never want another shrimp from anywhere else again. A friend of mine didn't believe me now he will drive 100 miles or more to score some!
Same scrimps...White Shrimp to be exact. Caught from NC to Mexico, but most are caught off Louisiana and Texas. Taste may vary due to water conditions though...so I sure would like to try some from NC to find out!

stc3248 said:
Same scrimps...White Shrimp to be exact. Caught from NC to Mexico, but most are caught off Louisiana and Texas. Taste may vary due to water conditions though...so I sure would like to try some from NC to find out!
Nah, NC shrimp are not the same as the ones in the gulf. I worked in a seafood spot for about 7 years. They are local to the NC waters and not the orangish shelled gulf ones. 

1451980_10200673386341447_382578568_n.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I see you got some of those chunky hot pickles.

What's the stuff I see on the tomato slices.

Looks like a mix of maybe corn and wheat flour for the batter no?

I need to do up either shrimps or oyster myself tomorrow.

I'm thinking a soak in buttermilk and a dredge in corn/wheat flour.

I got a recessed comal just begging for it.

Its the ultimate seafood fryer to me as used in down in Baja.

Works for fish and shrimp tacos.

It'll work for po'boys too.

Have mercy!

Oh, hell. I'm into this.

I'm working on a crawfish and shrimp etouffee for Mardi Gras. Might need to squirrel away some of the shrimp and crawfish tails to fry up a po boy later this week. Hell Yeah.

The Hot Pepper said:
Etouffee you say? Sounds like the makins of a Roux'd Boy.

Practice up for Friday!

Rolling Stone Magazine once interviewed Keith Richards

Rolling Stone: How many hours a day do you spend practicing?

Keef: Practice? What for? I'm already in the Rolling Stones.

Back