• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Sandwich of the Month

geeme said:
First thing that came to my mind when I read "The sandwich you grew up with….." For some reason my mom always made sammies like these whenever we went to the beach: white bread, Miracle Whip (the not mayo spread), sliced "american" cheese food. I didn't like them then, and wouldn't touch one now. Not only is it just "bleh" on its own, but add to it the sand that was blowing around on the beach - a culinary disaster. Still makes me cringe just to think about it now.

I'mma gonna have to take soap and water to my brain to get that unpleasant memory washed out before I can come up with something that is worthy of posting here. I do want to see someone do PBJ's with a gourmet twist. Might have to do that one myself, as well.

Pimp My Cheapass Sammich.

HAH!

I remember peanut butter and butter on thickass Texas Toast.

Didn't have no microwave sheeit back then so it was slapped into some cast iron like a grilled scheeze.

I also remember hot hungarian colbase wrapped in white bread with mustard.

ARE YA'FEELIN' ME Y'ALL!!!!

ive got a couple im sure.  i got some thing burning in my head.  sammie that my moms would throw into my star wars lunch pail 4 days a week. the other day my pops would throw some crackers sliced pepperoni and cheddar,lol.  i loved it but i realize know that he was just hung over and grumpy :rofl:

sicman said:
ive got a couple im sure.  i got some thing burning in my head.  sammie that my moms would throw into my star wars lunch pail 4 days a week. the other day my pops would throw some crackers sliced pepperoni and cheddar,lol.  i loved it but i realize know that he was just hung over and grumpy :rofl:

Nice.

I had some pretty lunch boxes.

The coolest one though was long after I got out of school.

Musta' been in the early 80's I got a Rambo lunch box.

Scorpion woman ex stole it from me.

Thas' okay though.

I got a 3 Stooges one sittin' in The Blues Kitchen.

i remember i had a couple rambo ones. had a tin one and a plastic.  one year it was all metal then the very next plastic.  never thought about it before but that was hippy politics being worked at its finest.  bunch of dang commies.

texas blues said:
Yup.

Mine was metal.

The thermos was junk though and leaked.
you aint joking. know that you mention it,all i remember is my sammie and crackers being wet with some "barely any sugar in the kool-aid mix" or 'please noo" hot tomato soup,lol.

thats why moms switched up to the hi-c or or some knock off brand of box drinks.   i will tell you one thing there was no money in my house for capri sun :rofl:
frydad4 said:
I'm in. 
I gotta do something to pimento cheese on white bread. Jazz it up!!

PIMPmento cheese!!
you dont know a thang about pimping mentos

Mentos.gif

Pimento cheese spread sammich.

OMG I'm having an orgasm!

In 1976, 7/11 had the most killer pimento cheese sammich's.

Drunk stoner greezin' at its finest!

Whole pickled 'peno's were always all up in that 'thang.

hahahahaha

One time, Salsa Dude was complaining to Salsa Lady about "cold sandwiches" she made for him for work. Well one day when SDude was working out in Lost River (we call it Jurassic Park because it's 35 miles from NOWHERE), when lunch time rolled around, all that was in his lunch box was two pieces of dry white bread and one single piece of Bologna. He don't complain no more.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Cheapass sammich = win!

sicman said:
you aint joking. know that you mention it,all i remember is my sammie and crackers being wet with some "barely any sugar in the kool-aid mix" or 'please noo" hot tomato soup,lol.

thats why moms switched up to the hi-c or or some knock off brand of box drinks.   i will tell you one thing there was no money in my house for capri sun :rofl:

you dont know a thang about pimping mentos

HAH! At least I wasen't the only one reared on ridiculous low sugar Kool-Aid.

I used to carry my lunch in a briefcase, along with a stuffed Bert (sans Ernie) doll, to work as a crew foreman in a demolition company. Found it packed away in a wall one day and made use of it until I got drunk one weekend and it dissolved.

I wonder what happened to ol' Bert.

sicman said:
thats why moms switched up to the hi-c or or some knock off brand of box drinks.   i will tell you one thing there was no money in my house for capri sun 

Ha. No such thing as "boxed drinks" when I was growing up. Kool aid was it (add your own dang sugar), or water. Could get milk sometimes in the cafeteria. Hi-C was around, but more than our fam could afford. Paper bags - no lunch boxes. I'll also never forget [surprise!] pickle loaf one time. Whoever the hail thought that was a good idea should be strung up and quartered. I don't know if it's any better cold or hot, but at room temp come lunchtime, it was just gross. So far I can only think of two sammiches from childhood that I wouldn't mind recreating with a gourmet twist. One was never for lunches, but only an occasional dinner. The other was the stand-by PBJ. We'll see which wins this month, though I could well do both. 

Ok - I just had to look up pickle loaf ingredients:
Mechanically Separated Chicken, Pork, Water, Sweet Pickle (Cucumbers, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Vinegar, Water, Flavor, Sugar, Alum, Oleoresin Turmeric), Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Pimento, Salt, Contains Less Than 2% of Flavor, Dextrose, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate (Made from Sugar), Sodium Nitrite.

Yeah, I colored the red part - at least they got that right!  :lol:

where did all the love go? everyone was going to post all kinds of sammies from our past,oh well this will have to do. my moms had to make a smiley face for me our i would throw the sammie on the ground. i was a ruthless take no crap kinda kid,lol. 

this is all i got a drunken sausage sandwhich with a few candied jalo,"from buddy" and some spicy mustard.

Nice lovin' there, sic! There were six of us, so no smiley-faces when I was growing up - you threw it on the ground and your a$$ was grass, as they say. 

Yeah, time slipped, but I think October is good for a repeat of the brown-bag redux. 

Here's my go to sandwich when there's a free for all for dinner.

Ingredients:

-Ciabatta roll
-12ish slices Bertocchi Mexicana salami
-Layer of Chilli infused Pecorino cheese
-Layer of sliced Capsicum covered in lots of white pepper
-My own homemade hot sauce
-Lettuce (from my garden of course)

https://db.tt/FiZDXE51

Mmmmmmmm......

Pour black pepper on this thread
It is DEAD

Back