• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

frydad4 said:
Every time corned beef goes on sale (like St. Paddy's day), I like to make pastrami.

That poor corned beef!!!! (Yeah, I know you put Tellcherry on it!) If I tell myself it's corned beef instead of pastrami, that sammie looks gooder'n hail. I'd choke myself from stuffing it in my mouf too fast...... if'n it didn't have Tellcherry on it. :D

You would have enjoyed being with us at North Market yesterday - all the Tellcherry you want, in bulk. Other types, too. I only walked part way down that aisle before making a U-turn and finding a saner one - one with dried chiles and other good stuff.

That aside, I will be making corned beef tomorrow. No Tellcherry will be harmed in the process!

All kidding aside, I do like the looks of that sammie - colorful!

Fitty that sammich looks tres bon.

What I want to know is....

What kind of sick obsessive fuck has a real deal meat slicer in their home kitchen?

You sir obviously need a team of doctors around you 24/7 looking after your mental health.

On the other hand chicks dig guys that are cray cray that way.

Never mind and carry on.

OOOOSE!

texas blues said:
Fitty that sammich looks tres bon.

What I want to know is....

What kind of sick obsessive f**k has a real deal meat slicer in their home kitchen?

You sir obviously need a team of doctors around you 24/7 looking after your mental health.

On the other hand chicks dig guys that are cray cray that way.

Never mind and carry on.

OOOOSE!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
That is one of the last tools I need in the kitchen....a slicer! Nice sammie for sure.
You mean to tell me y'all DON'T have a slicer? How the hael are you supposed to slice a 4lb ham or roast beef thin enough to see thru in less than 10 minutes? Or a 2 lb block of Tillamook cheddar for sammiches for the week? It even works great for the bakery fresh bread we sometimes get. hahahahaha

And don't get me started on the Rib Steaks for Philly Steak Sammies.

Slicers fer sher are a great appliance to have and use.

That is until you have to clean them.

Slice us some semi soft cheese or a bunch of tomato's.

Go and finish your other prep or sit down and enjoy a meal.

Now go back and clean the slicer.

You will be hating life as never before.

JayT said:
Due to work and family obligations I was unfortunately unable to participate in the Roux-boy throwdown. I had what a thought was a pretty cool entry. Something very different. So here it is. A Tenderloin tip Roux-boy.

Ingredients:
Amorosa Italian roll
beef tenderloin tips
cremini mushrooms
red onion
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
garlic
butter
olive oil
red wine
beef broth
flour
sea salt
cracked black pepper
Rocketman's Theriac sauce
tomato paste
worchestershire
Beemster Gouda cheese

I browned the seasoned (sea salt and cracked black) beef tips in a little olive oil, removed them and added the butter onion and mushrooms. Cooked them down for a while then added the chile and the garlic. I then added the flour to make the roux. The red wine and beef broth to deglaze, then the Theriac tomato paste, and worchestershire. I added the meat back in and brought it all together. Spooned it into the roll and topped with the gouda. Toasted in the oven for a minute and it is done. I ended skipping the trinity since I was adding the Theriac which if you don't know is a garlic, spring onion, leek, and celeriac sauce. It is fantastic to cook with.

Really glad to hear you liked the Theriac Jay. The one bottle I kept was killed when we had some friends over for dinner and served a Brisket. That bottle got passed around like a, uhhh oh PG13 rated thread, it was gone in no time.

texas blues said:
Slicers fer sher are a great appliance to have and use.

That is until you have to clean them.

Slice us some semi soft cheese or a bunch of tomato's.

Go and finish your other prep or sit down and enjoy a meal.

Now go back and clean the slicer.

You will be hating life as never before.
No. No. No. I aint talkin about one of them commercial HOBART boat anchors... Chef's Choice 630. The blade comes off. The shield comes off, and the sliding table comes off. Everything wipes down easily with a sponge and a paper towel. It takes less than one minute to clean. Seriously. Very ergonomic and well thought out. The cord even gets shoved back into the cord hole in the body.

Easy. Peasy.

View attachment 9941

frydad4 said:

13205827604_aa01f349c0_b.jpg

Soooo good that pastrami sandwich!

Tis the season for the corned beef... You know whats comin up shortly...

Yeah I am buying one this year. I have a $150 country ham that needs cooked and I am not cooking it without a slicer!

Scoville DeVille said:
No. No. No. I aint talkin about one of them commercial HOBART boat anchors... Chef's Choice 630. The blade comes off. The shield comes off, and the sliding table comes off. Everything wipes down easily with a sponge and a paper towel. It takes less than one minute to clean. Seriously. Very ergonomic and well thought out. The cord even gets shoved back into the cord hole in the body.

Easy. Peasy.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
When I Google Chef's Choice 630 I get the puppy on Amazon.

410ARXYGARL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-630-International-Electric/dp/B000065ENG

texas blues said:

So says you.

Mr. nonposterofdeepfriedwalleyed po'boy.

Ya' dinna' do no ice fishin' this year?

I didn't do as much ice fishing as I wanted to this year, but the few times I did go, the fishing was awesome.

Deepfriedwalleye po'boy... Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm on it. Probably not until the weekend though.

muskymojo said:

I didn't do as much ice fishing as I wanted to this year, but the few times I did go, the fishing was awesome.

Deepfriedwalleye po'boy... Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm on it. Probably not until the weekend though.

Hell yeah.

Just make sure its walleye.

No lutefisk po' boy's!

TB no like lutefisk dontcha' know.

texas blues said:

Hell yeah.

Just make sure its walleye.

No lutefisk po' boy's!

TB no like lutefisk dontcha' know.

You got it.

I'll eat just about anything edible (and like it), but just reading the word "lutefisk" makes me dry heave.

True story.

Back