• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Saturday is National Gumbo Day

let's make some gumbo and post here...  Phil? Joyner?  Scovie?  I know you guys are in.

I was already thinking of gumbo for dinner Saturday and this just sealed it. Won't be me cooking it (any Cajun dish I leave to my wife, I don't want to butcher it), but can still post some pics. Now I need to remember to get everything from work tomorrow. 

I gotta leave that up to a local like Phil to decide.

How long have you lived there?  I have been making gumbo for 15yrs, so if it is less than that...

Been living here 4 and a half years now. Really need to try my hand at Cajun cooking one day. Think I might actually take a crack at it Saturday. Going to pop my gumbo cherry! 

I'll be watching with a keen eye, JayT.... see if you're up to that challenge you proposed. Wish I could join in. I'll have a house full of people hungry for pulled pork and LSU football Saturday.

Damn.  I was sure hoping you could join in Phil.  No matter, a Yankee and an Aussie will have to carry the torch.  Hopefully others will join in.

Darn, all the good things come when I am out of town camping for the weekend.

I told my wife about this thread yesterday and she says: " don't worry, you could always make some gumbo in the crockpot out at the campground....... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: 

Gumbo's getting started. 
2 small bell peppers from the garden, 2 small jalapeno's from the garden, bishop's hats from Pepperlover and an onion
20131012_103105.jpg

Seasonings for the chicken
20131012_104930.jpg

Veggies cooking down
20131012_105556.jpg

More to come...

Meats!
Fresh chicken sausage (made at work yesterday)
20131012_105602.jpg

Smoked pork sausage and boneless skinless chicken thighs
20131012_110554.jpg

Just got back from N'awlins last night............and would'nt know it, after all the Gumbo. Jumbo, Mumbo, that I had last week I still want more...

What a great idea JayT had.....

Here's my take on tonights celebration....so many ways, so little time.
Ingredients: (not exact amounts listed, or displayed)..Celery, Onion, Green Bell, Huge Arse Prawns, Crab Claws, Oysters, Garlic, Okra, Chicken Thighs, Andouille Sausage, , Flour, Rendered Duck Fat, Shrimp, Lobster Tail, Worcestershire, Salt, Pepper, Abita Beer, Paprika, Cayenne

First things 1st.....no fish heads in my stock. I'm using 4 white fleshed Halibut bones. They're great for making a Fish Stock. Also 4 White Onions quartered. 6 stalks of rough chopped Celery, 20 Garlic cloves, smashed,... 1 lb Shrimp , Craw Fish, and Lobster shells, Black Peppercorns, 4 gal of Water..........It's been simmering for 4 hrs now...Just needs to be strained through a cheese cloth lined China Cap....3 passes..

Saute bone-in Chicken Thighs with 2 tbls of Duck Fat on both sides until juices run clear. Set aside, let cool and place in the fridge until needed. Clean out pot and move on to the Roux.

Here's the beginning of the Roux. Add 2 containers of Duck Fat to the pot. Heat to solidify...add equal amount of Flour. The condition at this point is pastie. After 1/2 hr it will be smooth like Belgium Waffle mix. I'll will continue to whisk until it's nutty smelling and dark rich color. I'll check back later with more, ...if I can put the whisk and the bottle down.

That looks like it's going to be killer PIC1! I really need to try a seafood gumbo soon.

For my 1st time making gumbo I was pleasantly surprised. Came out great and tasted damn good! Fresh peppers definitely added more flavour than the store bought one's. Looking forward to making it again now!

Plated up-
20131012_181844.jpg

Every gumbo I've had here has been served with potato salad, so the better half whipped up a batch while waiting on the rice. She mixes hers in with the gumbo, I keep mine as a side
20131012_181850.jpg

Thanks Phil! Can't wait to see if I can improve some more next time. I'm waiting on PIC1's finished result too. Looks like it'll blow mine out of the water haha. And yeah those prawns are BIG! See some that size at Rouses supermarket here in Lafayette sometimes. Can't remember offhand what sort they have though. Too many beers and rums today lol.

I dunno, Meat. I kinda dig the gumbo you made. The seafood/chicken combo is an oddity that you just don't see. Gumbo usually has a clear identity. Although I didn't see a roux in your pictures.... I'm keeping score! lol.

And where in the world is JayT's entry???????

Back