• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"Sawdust" on some plants

Mike this might be way off base ,but you said your lights are real close to the plants . check your lights for flaking or the bulbs too you never know.But IMO it does look like dead White Flies larva's
Dan

LET IT BURN

Bug Bones

It's the exoskeletons. They secrete something that makes the puddles of sticky stuff they use to stick themselves down with before they crawl out of their bones.
They jump down off the leaves if you shake or spray them. They will severely stunt your plants if allowed to prosper.
I don't even mess with em and I don't have ladybugs. Most all plants in the sun-room got bunches, but since they're all going outside again anyway...
At least the ones in the house don't have bug one on them, so I hardly ever see aphids, weeds, and fruit flies in my face, unless I go out to the sun-room to water.

ABurningMouth said:
It's the exoskeletons. They secrete something that makes the puddles of sticky stuff they use to stick themselves down with before they crawl out of their bones.

Ok, a question first. What kind of woolly aphid attacks peppers? The only one I know of attacks apples and other trees.

Next, if I'm not mistaken, woolly aphid nymphs aren't woolly, they're brownish black, and the adults don't shed their exoskeletons. Once they're adults they stop growing and get to reproducing and sucking plant juices. So, I'm wondering how we could be looking at exoskeletons.

Mike said he'd treated for aphids and was keeping eye out for them. Mike, they weren't woolly aphids that you saw, were they?

Hmmm, my post disappeared!

Whatever it is, it seems to be gone. I think what the poster thought was aphids was just residue dust from transplanting. No way are they aphids - I would be deluging the plants in insecticide if they were. They nearly wiped out my first seedlings. Whatever this stuff is, the plants don't seem to suffer.

I may be leaning toward the idea of it being due to flaking of the lights, as the plants not under lights - four peppers and four tomatoes do not have any white stuff on them and the ones in the back two rows had very little. But the front light is old, someone read an article about me trying to buy lights in a store and acccusing me of growing the "other" type of plants, so he gave me the light. I've also been using a fan for a little longer each day which may be helping.

Mike

ok so I admit I was wrong about the life cycle exos. But the white (you kept calling woolly) are dead aphids and the little green ones (I stopped counting at 25) suck the juices out.
That's not wool; those are legs and antennae.
plant.jpg

that's true, i can totally see the live ones, i can't see 25 but i can certainly see 4... they're dying cuz you used the insecticide but that was weeks ago you said. i'm telling you, it looks exactly like the corpses when i had aphids.

Oh thanks GB.
I posted at the same time.
I happen to like the black info (600x535 59kb) boxes on the thumbs from imageshack.
If someone posts (3072x2304 4mb) I want to know.

Ok, I had some aphids in the hoop house that I sprayed last week. I went back out this morning in the bright sunlight, and found a couple of leaves with aphid corpses on it. They are *much* smaller than the white goobers in Mike's picture and don't look look woolly or fluffy at all. I think there is an error of scale here.

Pam,
I don't see the wool cause it's covering my eyes.
But seriously,
I think your monitor is just old and everything is fuzzy on there. Like when you don't wear glasses.

ABurningMouth said:
Pam,
I don't see the wool cause it's covering my eyes.

mmmm...goes so well with the wool between your ears, too.

But seriously,
I think your monitor is just old and everything is fuzzy on there. Like when you don't wear glasses.

Oh c'mon, that bait's not even remotely stinky.

well i think it looks the same, but even if it's not maybe there should still be some concern about the live aphids on the plant...

Back