• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scorpeno

JSKaiser

Banned
Okay guys, weird question. Is it possible to cross a Scorpion with a Jalapeno? I dont remember what families cross and dont. If anybody has a list of what will and wont cross pollinate with each other, it would be much appreciated.

The reason I ask is because I have some Jalapenos growing next to my Scorpions, and I have some weird jalapenos right now. Pics are on the way. Waiting for photobucket to finish uploading.

Okay guys, weird question. Is it possible to cross a Scorpion with a Jalapeno? I dont remember what families cross and dont. If anybody has a list of what will and wont cross pollinate with each other, it would be much appreciated.

The reason I ask is because I have some Jalapenos growing next to my Scorpions, and I have some weird jalapenos right now. Pics are on the way. Waiting for photobucket to finish uploading.

it's possible.
annums and chinense will cross.

There's a compatibility chart at the bottom of this page
http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

Thanks for the chart. I dont remember where I saw the one I printed out, and dont want to dig it out of the boxes. Everything is packed up for the move next week.

I'm confused... It is my understanding that even if they crossed they should still look like Jalapenos. And if there was a viable cross, that you wouldn't see the characterisics from the Scorpians until you planted the crossed seeds and grew to maturity... ?

But from what you're saying, it sounds like you might have planted a previously crossed Jalapeno ... ? Am I right? Or just totally missing something here? lol :think:

Here are some pics. Im not 100% whether it was a scorpion, or 7 pod, but my jalapenos have tail like characteristics.

Newpepsandhouse004.jpg

Newpepsandhouse006.jpg

Newpepsandhouse002.jpg

Newpepsandhouse008.jpg

As you can see, the pods vary quite a bit, but I will say they are a touch hotter than a regular jalapeno. Id say maybe 2-3 times the heat. Pretty good actually.

Any ideas what might have crossed here?

To me they taste like a regular jalapeno, but stronger. Like 2-3 times stronger. Maybe just a touch sweeter. Very good though. All of them seemed to have a twin on the inside too. I kind of like this one. Im going to try a few of the seeds out this winter and see what happens. I have each one labeled with the picture of the individual pepper it came from. Hoping to possibly get some with actual tails.

How many flowers per node? Multiple flowers per node is a dominant trait, if it indeed crossed with a C. Chinense it will probably have 2-3 most of the time.

Almost looks like a peter pepper.

I have not counted for sure, but it does have multiples. Up to 4 at some points. Last year I had them next to scorpions. I didnt even have my 7s going then, so I guess that might be it. I love finding new things when I take a walk through the pepper yard. I dont have a garden. Just a yard of peppers!!! Gonna need some ideas soon. Moving next week, and upgrading on the yard size, so I have to do a new layout.

Back