contest Secret Ingredient Throwdown - Mango!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got in from an early ending Gig and thought I'd check in. Things are looking good ...... wish I had some this stuff right now !! I could put a dent in THP's Skirt Steak ...... and I'd save room for frydad4's egg rolls ..... dang they look good. Everything looks good but I'll have to comment later in the morning when my buzzz has eased and my eyes will focus better.

salsalady ..... you know the rule ....if I tell you ...... I'll have to ... just joking. It's my home made Inner Beauty Style hot sauce. Bonnets , mustard , a little curry and a few other things I can't remember clearly at this moment.

Peace and I'll be back in the morning ,
P. Dreadie

You can TB. Just cook the food and after you take the pics, take it to the homeless down there by the 7-11 next to Ellis Island. You will be a local hero afterward.

coins are posted.........it'sallgood..............

it all looks so good!!! the big jump outs for me right now are the egg rolls..(almost every throwdown i've been in so far has had and egg roll and they ALWAYS look so crispy and melty and delicious) and the THP Chimi steak. That Green, and that grill shot....it just gels really nice...it looks both messy and ornate at the same time while above all looking delicious. I can't wait to see more tomorrow!

JayT said:
You can TB. Just cook the food and after you take the pics, take it to the homeless down there by the 7-11 next to Ellis Island. You will be a local hero afterward.

What? How did you see my new vid already? That's crazy...no really!

Jerk Chiken Satay w/mango cucumber salsa

So the awesomeness police were out in force in SoFlo land. There were many neighbors searched around the FD4 household, but they could not pinpoint our location. Maybe our Busch Light induced benevolence created a force-field of goodwill and subverted their suspicions... or maybe it was just blind luck... Regardless, awesomeness was unfolded. Let me share a bit of this undertaking with you.

The teaser pic posted earlier showed a home made wet rub jerk seasoning/marinade. It has to be my best one yet! And I don't lie. It was confirmed by my Busch Light. To divulge some ingreeds:

Jerk paste:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 home grown habaneros (the best)
1/2 large yellow onion
2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
4 tsp ground allspice
4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp molasses
~1/4 cup fresh lime juice

So with that I marinated three chicken breasts, but these hunks of meat were cut into ~1/2" thick strips to draw in the enveloping flavor. After 4+ hours of soaking in the goodness, they were weaved onto bamboo skewers and brought to the flame. And they loved it.

Saving them from their fiery demise, they were plated and topped with a soothing mango cucumber salsa.

Salsa:
2 mangoes
3/4 red onion
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (cilantro is better)
2 squeezed limes for juice
dash of kosher salt
2 orange habaneros
[Edit: 3/4 cucumber... how did I forget that?]
[dice it all up]

Sum pics?

IMG_2056.jpg

Here's a picture with FD4 lurking in the background.
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

And the money shot. The drink is a mango tequila sunrise... of which this image just does not do the drink's inner beauty justice.
IMG_2081.jpg

SoFlo Posse

DREADIE'S PASTA FROM HELL WITH SHRIMP

2- Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 Yellow onion, diced small
1- Red Bell pepper, diced small
2- Thinly sliced Carrots
1 to 2 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
4 to 6 Chopped Green onions ... white & green parts
2- Cloves Garlic minced
1 or 2- Slightly Green (firm) Bananas, sliced into thick bite sized pieces
1-large Mangoe Sliced into large bite size chunks
1- Small can Pineapple tidbits .... drained and juice saved
Juice of 3 Oranges
Juice of 2 Limes
2 - Tablespoons Dark Rum

For heat I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of my home made Inner Beauty Style Hot sauce
3- Harold's St Barts Peppers
3- Trinidad Perfume Pepper ..... more for the aroma and flavor than heat

8 - Shrimp or more ... all I could find was 13 count ... I would have rather had those big
suckers but couldn't find any
1/2 Cup or more chopped Cilantro leaves
1- Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Cup or more grated Parmesan Cheese
1 pound Fettuccine

Mix juices and Rum, taste for sweetness vs tartness and adjust with brown sugar if
needed. Sauté Onion , Carrots, Mushrooms and Bell Pepper until tender. Toss in the
garlic and green onions. Add the juice mixture and chopped hot peppers along with the
hot sauce and*simmer for 5 minutes.

Taste to test for hottness.Add the Shrimp and Cilantro, simmer 1 minute. Add the
Mango, Pineapple tidbits , and Bananas and simmer for 1-2 minutes.Don’t over cook
Bananas and Mango. You want them firm. Mix in cheese with the butter and top off the
cooked Fettuccini.
Add Salt and Black Pepper to taste.

DSCF26.jpg

Shouldn't have used a Flash .....

DSCF2651.jpg

DREADIE'S DANGO- MANGO RUM DRINK

DSCF2655.jpg

Hope I posted everything right....... Quarter & a Dime

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Ok, I'll have the Jerk Satay as an appetizer and I think the Dreadie Pasta Entree and for dessert...a one way ticket to the islands...These dishes looks Awesome guys!!!!!

JayT's Island Dream Sampler Platter

I couldn't decide what I wanted to pair my mangoes with so I made it all.

First off I made a marinade for the chicken and flank steak. It included orange and lime juices, red onion, peach habanero, cilantro, soy sauce and my all purpose rub on the meats.
Into the ziplock bag for a bath and time to make the drink and the salsa.

100_6300.jpg

100_6302.jpg

The drink is a mango mojito with rum, pureed mango, mint, and 7UP.

Now to grill the mango, red onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno for the salsa.

100_6304.jpg

Chopped up all the mango, onion, and peppers then added them to a bowl with some chopped mint, a little canola oil, some sea salt, and a splash of pommegranite red wine vinegar.

100_6306.jpg

Onto the grill go the flank steak and chicken breasts.

100_6305.jpg

After a few minutes and bastings with the reserved marinade...

100_6318.jpg

Probably my favorite part would be the cast iron on the grill for some blackened Tilapia.

100_6319.jpg

Whipped up some mango/cilantro/lime Jasmine rice and we are ready to eat!

100_6320.jpg

JayT's Island Dream Sampler Platter

Ingredients:
Flank Steak
Chicken Breasts
Tilapia Fillets
Mangoes
Red Onion
Red Bell Pepper
Peach Habanero
Jalapeno
Jasmine Rice
Cilantro
Mint
Garlic
Spices

The Mango Mojito - Rum, Mango puree, mint, Agave nectar, lime juice, lemon lime soda

100_6302.jpg

The Sampler Platter:
First a bed of the mango/cilantro/lime rice, then thin slices of the grilled marinated chicken breast and flank steak, as well as a blackened Tilapia fillet. Then topped with the grilled salsa including mango, red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, mint, red wine vinegar, canola oil, sea salt.

100_6323.jpg

100_6324.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back