seed-train Seed train caboose (at least from me)

I don't understand why it's so hard to keep this thing on the tracks. Maybe people need instructions.

Day one... Open the box, rummage through it and find something fun, add what you have an excess of, seal the box.
Day two... Get the damn box back in the mail, post an update in this thread.

The only exception to this rule is if day two is a Sunday or a holiday, in which case you leave the box on the counter for a day or in some cases two and proceed to day 3 or 4 respectively

Day 3, or 4... Get the damn box back in the mail, post an update in this thread.

Excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

If you cannot follow the rules don't get on the train!!!!

Chug a chug a choo choo!!!

I find it funny that Laser was the one trying to set rules earlier in the thread.... Nearly 2 weeks later after he has received the box he has still yet to reply with even the slightest update...

It blows my mind that people can't do what is supposed to be done. I understand Dallas had some tornadoes, but laser commented after that saying he got the box and everything was ok. It just really sucks for everybody that was supposed to get it after him because I love the idea of seed trains and they're awesome and fun experience if folks could just follow instructions

Geez, break-out the pitchforks and torches, why don't ya! ;)

nmorris279, you can't make-up your own rules, and then bitch about people not following them! -

If you cannot follow the rules don't get on the train!!!!

When people were actually breaking the rules Chad laid-out for the path of his train, which would have delayed the train for months for the personal benefit of a few, where was your righteous indignation then, when we needed it? :eh:

Nearly 2 weeks later...

That's total BS, and you know it! I didn't receive it the beginning of that week (it hadn't even been mailed to me yet - it was still at the prior stop then!), but instead got it just before the 3-day holiday weekend.

And early in this thread, I was not trying to "set the rules", but rather to prevent a violation of what Chad set forth for the train's path when he first started this. Do you not understand that what I did was for YOUR benefit? Had I not done so, what was being proposed would have delayed the train for you and the vast majority of participants for months, just so a handful of members could "double-dip", getting two visits of the train before you even got a single shot!

But if you really think I was wrong to stop that, I suppose I could always just conceed the point NOW, stop the train's present course, and send it to loop back to those folks, and we can all just wait a few months for those people to "double-dip" before allowing the train to continue back on it's current course. If you're lucky, perhaps you will see the train before it starts snowing! :eek:

Is that really what you want me to do???

If not, then stop bitchin' about me protecting you from that! :crazy:

Anyways, I've been out-of-town since Easter weekend. I did not expect to be away quite that long. But then, I did not expect a tornado to hit my town, nor for a delay at the prior stop to result in the train not arriving here until the day before the start of the holiday weekend, either.

But for those who still wish to shake their pitchforks, I am sorry I did not cancel my Easter trip in order to deal with a late-arriving "replacement" box containing mostly non-superhot varieties that I wasn't even interested in! (Including a lot of garden-variety stuff like Cayenne, Fresno, Jalapeno, Serrano, etc. More on my efforts to improve the quality of the box's contents below.)

In any event, the train has also been at my station undergoing some minor repairs. Specifically -

First off, I am surprized that no one bothered to reply to my question about the train's contents that I asked in my last post??? As I indicated previously, I discovered in the box 6 different varieties of seeds, in bags with absolutely NO indication of what they were?! 5 of these are in identical 2x3 zip-lock baggies, while the 6th is in a 2x3 baggie with a white box on it, and the words "Rite On Parts Bag" & "C-Line Products, Inc. # 47223", and also a hole punched in the top above the zip-lock. Here is a pic of the seeds in question -

Unknown-Seeds1.jpg

I have been going through both the posts and the box, trying to track-down from whom and what these seeds might be!

But even then, we still might not be able to figure-out which identical-looking bag belongs to which specific variety!

So I have been wondering what to do with all of these unlabeled seeds???

I considered just consolidating them all together to save space in the tightly-packed box, and to free-up some bags.

But each of these bags appears to contain a specific variety of seeds (just unlabeled). So mixing them all together seems like such a waste, plus the last thing the box needs is yet another (4th) bag of mixed seeds!

Then I hit upon an idea to put these unlabeled seeds to better use - and I created the "Seed Lotto" Game!

First, I labeled each unknown bag with SP#'s (SP = Seedswap Pepper), see here -

SeedLotto1.jpg

How the game basically works is that each player selects one or more #'s that they want to play. They can then take up to 3 seeds from each SP# they selected (keeping track of which is which). They then grow them out, compare notes with the other people who also selected the same SP# as they did, and then all try to guess what it is they're growing!

To add some spice to the mix, I'm also adding some special seeds from my own private stash (which I of course I already know what they are!)

I will also see if I can track-down what specific varieties the other guys are, and at the end of the season, after everybody has guessed, I will announce what they were actually growing!

Perhaps there may even be some prizes involved, like Purple Bhut seeds or something? (I should have some of those available by then!)

I figure this will add some extra fun to the seed train! (particularly for the newbies!)

I also figure this is a better use for all these unlabeled seeds than creating yet another bag of "mixed".

And hey, if you don't like the game...you don't have to play! ;)

I've added the game + instructions in a bag along with the rest of the train.

BTW, I also spotted yet another bag that at first glance appeared to also be unlabeled, but when held up to a light at just the right angle, you could barely make-out in nearly invisible light blue pen - "Mix". I have therefore re-labeled that one with black marker.

In reviewing the contents of the box, I also spotted one of the more unusual varieties that was obviously mislabeled - PI 260250 is not even a kind of pepper(!), but rather Trifolium pratense L. (aka Red Clover). See -

http://www.ars-grin....50&inactive=Yes
http://www.ars-grin....taxon.pl?300623
http://sun.ars-grin....ix=&in_page=224

I have marked the bag to indicate that the ID is incorrect, and have also contacted smokemaster to try to get the correct ID for this one, as it appears this sample originated from him.

Second, looking back at this thread, I was happy to see that Smiter_Q, after his being harrassed off of participating in this thread, and his decision back in December to "take a break" from THP as a result, and it being known that he has been difficult to reach since then, that the members here were kind enough to give him an extra chance to respond, when his turn finally came up on the train!

Well actually, that's NOT precisely what happened. In fact, the exact OPPOSITE occurred - in looking at the posts Feb. 17-18, it appears poor Smitter_Q may have been given virtually no time to respond before being skipped-over! :eek:

Indeed, the action was so abrupt, that it appears to have caused another member to accidentally mistake it for implying that Smiter_Q could not be trusted with the seeds, causing that member to then post something in response, defending Smiter_Q's integrity! -

I`ve traded with smiter and he/she was stand up. Didn`t screw me.

But to no avail, as the very next post announced that he had been skipped-over, and the box shipped to someone else instead!

I feel for poor Smiter_Q, as the very same thing nearly happened to me!

I am endevouring to contact him, as he is not that far away from me. Given that he is located in the same state as I am, and particularly given that he is geographically located between myself and the next person, I was thinking it may be most appropriate to route the package thru him on it's way to South Texas. If I am unable to reach him in time, I have also asked teamcole to see if he can route it to him when it comes back up on it's way to Bodeen.

Given that it's the previous person's responsibility to contact the next in line, and not the other way around, and some folks like Smiter-Q had actually signed-up for this last year, I think perhaps we may be getting a little too quick on the trigger finger here in some cases It may be advisable to agree to some guidelines as to a minimum time to wait before someone is skipped-over, to prevent anyone else who has been waiting for months for this from getting screwed-out of their turn because they didn't respond instantaneously. Perhaps 1 week after receipt?

Third, with regards to the contents of the box, hot stuff and coheed196 were definitely right when they said that there's a lot of bhut in there! 5 bags of generic bhut, to be exact. Plus 4 bags of cayenne, 2 bags of fresno, etc. Some duplication, a lot of "Garden Variety" peppers, but a serious lack of selection of superhots. To be sure, there are a few interesting things in there. But for a swap that started-out with 650+ seeds of highly desireable superhot varieties, plus some exotic Pimenta de Neyde, let's be honest here, the contents took a major hit when all those lovely seeds disappeared! :cry:

I see that some of the members have tried to improve the quality of what's in the box since. For example, it sounds like coheed196 added a lot of interesting things! (unfortunately, it also looks like some of his best stuff got picked-clean before it got down here. :banghead:). But there's still a long way to go.

I am doing what I can to improve the quality of the train, and would encourage others to do likewise. So before adding more of the same things, ask yourself, "Does this train REALLY need a 6th (or 7th, or 8th) bag of generic bhuts?" Try mixing it up!

And if you're a newbie, and all you've got growing is Walmart Jalapenos, then go ahead and throw in what you can, that's GREAT! But if you're like many of us, and also have some more interesting things growing, then skip the cayenne, and try throwing in some of your "good stuff" instead!

Especially superhots! I wish I could throw some of those in there myself, but unfortunately all my superhot plants are still babies and are too young to produce.

But in order to practice what I preach, of the varieties I am adding to the train, NONE of them are in the train already, NONE of them are garden-variety seeds, ALL of them are pure strains (no F#'s or mutts), and ALL of them are isolated seeds! :cool:

And just to take it up a notch, I'm also doing something I haven't really seen on the train yet (other than "mystery" cayenne, and some samples apparently originating f/smokemaster)...

...in addition to seeds, I'm also adding some dried pods! :cool:

My biggest problem right now is trying to get everything to fit inside the small Priority Mail box!

Improving that quality of the contents of the box won't help you or I, but it will help those down the line. And that's the whole idea behind the unique way that Chad set-up this great swap!

I was the stop-off before smiter, I pm'd him on feb 16th asking for his address. The box got to me on feb 21st and he never responded nor ever logged in during that time. Sure I could've waited for a few weeks until he was able to respond but decided that it was neither right nor fair to everybody else in line. It had nothing to do with me believing he would just steal the seeds, I have no reason to doubt his integrity but since the train had already derailed once I did not want to be the cause of it happening again. Yes I added about 7 or 8 varieties when I packed the box and they were all super hots and the box was actually jammed full of superhots I would say probably a good 70% of the seeds were superhots

I have an idea. Why doesn't everybody look at the list and PM who ever is after them now. That way maybe instead of waiting the day you find out its on its way to you you can have it ahead of time. Just a thought. Carry on......
CHOO CHOO!!!!!!!
I did post current list below. Start PMing person ahead of you. Even if you are towards the bottom of the list or even PM the person ahead of you your address.

laserguy
teamcole
Bodeen
thecollegekid
nmorris279
Sr Beaver
jsschrstrcks
xcsports
Pinoypride83
gnarlyeggs
habaneroheat81
Durham_bull
RCC
MegaSpokaneMan
mygrassisblue

The only problem I can foresee with that betterhalf, is say for example Durham bull gets RCC's address today and gets the train here in a few weeks and gets set to send it to RCC but RCC hasn't logged in since today and has forgotten about the train or has just lost interest in growing peppers...etc etc

Like I said just trying to think of ideas so we can quit with derailments and arguments. That's all just want to make things easier. I don't think it should matter when they log in last. Once it arrives at their doorstep I think they'll remember, right? That way people don't have to wait a week to hear from next in line.

Just my opinion. Everyone knows what they say about opinions tho. :D

Its fine. No hard feelings. Like I said just the derailments and arguments are getting old. We are all adults for the most part and we shouldn't get all worked up over seeds. There are bigger things in the world to get worked up about.

I know a few of you are thinking then quit following the train Betterhalf but there are fun times on this thread but the fun is getting clouded by bickering. I just want the fun to resume.

That is all I have finally spoke my piece. I will continue to follow cuz we are waiting for it to come back to our neck of the woods. I'll also help updating the list of passengers still.......

CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOO CHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laserguy, you have earned the official DOUCHEBAG award. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you for the dissertation, now can you give up your bullshit "I'm doing this all for you" routine. You bitched because others held up the train, and now people are bitching because you are doing the very same thing you bitched about. Get over yourself.

Also, I feel comfortable bitching as I made sure to get the box from my PO Box, opened up and sorted through, additions made, and back in the mail in 2 days time.

Dear Chad,
Hi, my name is Aaron, aka habaneroheat81. I am writing this to you to thank you for the seed train. I for one have known of your generosity for quite some time as I have also purchased pods from you in the past. While I had purchased just a few things from you you gladly filled my hands and pockets with some of the freshest pods I have ever gotten. Its your generosity and understanding that will keep me coming back.
However, it appears to me that the reasons for you putting this seed train together has been lost. You have put together something that appears so simple yet so awesome and gives to many people in a matter of days. Yet that seems to have been lost somewhere.
The first go round appeared to go so smoothly. Sure there was a time or two that passengers on the train had to wait a few days longer than expected but they seemed to understand that life throws curve balls at you. Of caurse the derailments get old and sure it being held for longer than 3 days is a little long. But its my understanding that this is like "christmas in july" for chilehead growers. We await for that pm from the peron above us asking for an address, then we await for a package that we have no idea what is in it. Then when we get it we rip it open and start dumping it out looking at all the great choices that are in the box. Then start conducting an idea of what, where and when to grow. Then repack it, add some seeds of our own and send it to the next person. This train has enough room for more passengers but with the extra nonsense could run people with rare and awesome seedes off.
I hope that this train continues to move along and pick up more passengers. I have enjoyed being a passenger and have been able to over look the derailment
and bickering. I have not looked at anyone as if they would "steal" the box for themselves as I have yet to run into such a problem on THP. This site has a lot of honorable individuals that may make the mistake of jumping the gun whether be because they feel someone is less honorable than they seem or because they take what is typed, out of context.
Again I thank you and hope this continues on track.
Aaron

nmorris279, my concern back then was not about delays, but rather the re-routing of the train's path in violation of how Chad set this up, for the personal benefit of a few and to the detriment of everybody else. The months-long delay for the majority of the participants was not the cause of the problem, but simply one of the negative consequences that would have resulted if this misconduct had been allowed to proceed.

My concern about "double-dipping" also had absolutely nothing to do with minor delays at various stops caused by unforseen events - these have occurred repeatedly (including the very first stop), and unlike some (hint hint), you don't see ME posting de-railed train pics and/or complaining the train is de-railed every time there is the slightest delay!

In any event, as I already indicated, the train is also undergoing minor repairs, caused in part by excessive rushing.

Like I said before, you can't make up your own rules (or even instructions) for someone else's train, and then complain that people aren't following them!

You DO, however, need to follow the actual rules of this train.

I was perplexed by your resorting to personal attacks. :think: Up until now, most of the members here have been civil, for the most part the only members who brought themselves down to the level of engaging in personal attacks, name-calling, personally offensive insults, and personal ad hominem type attacks were a few handful of members who were in favor of "cheating", re-routing the train's path in violation of how Chad had set this up, for their own personal benefit so that they could "double-dip".

I didn't recall you being one of those who tried to get away with doing that, so your sudden personal attack (and in particular, fraudulently attacking my motives for successfully putting a stop to this "double-dipping" way back in early Jan.), had me a bit surprised. :shocked:

But then I took a closer look at some of what had been going on in this thread in my absence, and was absolutely flabbergasted to discover the following...

Here is what the list should look like with me added...

brewmasta
nmorris279 <== Got the box
habaneroheat81
laserguy
teamcole
Bodeen
thecollegekid
nmorris279 <== DUPLICATE ENTRY!!! :eek:

:shame:

...and this is what it looks like trying to "double-dip" ahead of the other members...

Busted1a.jpg

DoubleDipping2a.jpg

Shame on You!

@HH81Betterhalf, there appears to be two members who's names are incorrectly listed 2x in the Round 1 list, ahead of both other Round 1 participants, as well as ahead of other members (including myself), that have previously stated a desire to participate in a Round 2.

Please remove these duplicate names from the list.

Thank you!

@Aaron, not sure how you can say things have been going smoothly. My impression was exactly the opposite, the incessant & vicious personal attacks by the same few members got so bad, that in late Jan. I did the same thing as Smiter_Q!

But as long as you are feeling all of this goodwill - I understand that in addition to the member who so politely just called me a "douchebag" :shame:, there was also a second person whose name is also double-listed in Round 1 ahead of everybody else - being the honest person that you are, can you help me to fix that? Thanks! :)

Laser, do we have a tracking number for the train after it should have left your stop?

Also, I say let the people stay on for the second trip. Honestly, its not a big deal at all. Other users had 5 months to sign up at this point....

I was on the train early in round 1. Then came time to sign up for round two which I did a bit after I sent off the box the first time after I had a miserable fail with my original seed starts. There are a number of people who have signed up to see the box again and it is not my fault if some people are signing up to see the box for the first time well after sign ups for round two began.

The mystery you solved is just like your excuses for holding on to the box.... BULLSHIT!!!

The list is in perfect order. HH81 BETTERHALF and I have been monitoring this thread adding people in the order that they request to be added. And, yes I requested a spot on round two as did the 81's and there is nothing wrong with what you call a "double-dip". We just call it round two.

As for my pictures of trains crashing, I thought it was pretty funny and it was never an attack. The only attack was on you, because I am pretty sure at this point that you are a certified asshole. I hope you look back and notice that while comments have been made about derailments most of them were just made by eager people awaiting this fun method of seed swapping. That changed with you because of the irony in you holding up the train for two weeks after all of your bitching. The guy before you forgot to put one number in the tracking number after he mailed it and you damn near had a panic attack.

Keep up the detective work! You might just have a future in it. :rofl:

Oh holy cow people ............ :throwshandsupinair: this is ridiculous. AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

GOING :crazy:

We are on trip number two. I have been keeping an eye and adding whomever wants to ride. Nmorris also has been helping. No one is double dipping on the first trip we are onto the second.

Laser you can ask my husband habaneroheat. I do not take sides or pick favorites this hasn't been the smoothest ride but in the beginning everything was fine. So I am not siding with anyone however........

CAN WE PLEASE DO WHAT I PREVIOUSLY ASKED AND STOP BICKERING EVERYBODY???? PLEASE come on everyone needs to call a truce. Lets start over and get along. As my husband's letter to Chad says this is a great thing. New members may get put off by recent arguments.

Lets all get along..........................

The only problem I can foresee with that betterhalf, is say for example Durham bull gets RCC's address today and gets the train here in a few weeks and gets set to send it to RCC but RCC hasn't logged in since today and has forgotten about the train or has just lost interest in growing peppers...etc etc

Hey, why you gotta pick on me, huh? :rofl:

Never ceases to amaze me the tiffs people get into on forums. And I sent Durham Bull my address 3 weeks ago and I also requested and received Mega's address just to try and prepare. No telling what hell could break loose in life between now and then, but then come on, in reality this is really just about seeds, not some life event. Maybe it is just me, but while I like chillies, I just don't see that it is really worth the accusations or the defenses posted here.

Back