• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seeds direct from Lima, Peru!!!

Has anyone had any luck with the Aji Pacay..? I have 3 plants; despite being started very early and growing into gigantic plants, they are forming buds extremely late for me and those formed have hesitated to open all summer. Within the last few days they show signs of wilingness to finally open. I have grown many baccatums before and never had this problem, other baccatums growing just fine this year also. What are your experiences?

Donnie, my experience with the Aji Pacay is very similar to yours. I also grew three of these, two of them are pretty much as you described, the plants are really tall with giant leaves, but have only just (in the past few days) had the first pods start to form, too late to get any ripe ones. The third plant I topped early on and it has become shorter and bushier than the others with much smaller leaves, it started putting out pods a couple of weeks ago, but I'm doubtful that these will have time to ripen either.

Ha... the exclusion list has grown a bit...

Excludes: Africa, Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, Southeast Asia, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Korea, South, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Bermuda, Greenland, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State

I'm in. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

Wonder how many deadbeat bidders show up from the "Vatican City-State".  The unpaid-item process could be an unholy mess, one reckons.

mecdave said:
Ha... the exclusion list has grown a bit...

Excludes: Africa, Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, Southeast Asia, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Korea, South, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Bermuda, Greenland, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State

I'm in. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

What do you mean, exclusion list?
I'm from Romania, got the seeds (well, vehry vehry late...), got plants from almost each of them, just not many have pods. One (Verde) died. From those labeles as Pacay, one is a giant (at least 1,5m) with huge leafes, only flowers so far, and 2 of them are completely different, small plants. I hope will have time to put some pictures.

The exclusion list is on the seller's eBay ad. It's a list of countries he apparently has complied that either won't allow his seeds to pass through their Customs.or Departments of Agriculture, or just countries he doesn't want to do business with.. Obviously some seeds get through from time to time as you have just stated.

mecdave said:
The exclusion list is on the seller's eBay ad. It's a list of countries he apparently has complied that either won't allow his seeds to pass through their Customs.or Departments of Agriculture, or just countries he doesn't want to do business with.. Obviously some seeds get through from time to time as you have just stated.

Oh, so. I was not sure what was the meaning of exclusion.
In fact I just saw this topic and ask a colleague to buy them, one for him and one for me, The Peru guy delivered as a single pack, I mean all rocoto in one bag, all pacay in one bag, etc, and we have to split them. But don't remember my country on the exclusion list. In fact I thnk depends on how the package is sent from the sender. Different countries, different rules. The seeds I got from US had mainly a customs declaration, and for these I had to go to a special postal office where they have customs too. In my city, even if is the 2nd or 3rd as size in Romania, the customs is represented by an older guy, who ask me what's inside, he ask me to open ad he looks in the package, and let me go every time. He knows no English, I suppose, because on the packages was written "seeds". Never get a package confiscated.
I got also envelopes with birthday card, these have no customs declaration, and I get them directly at home, in my mail box.
Dunno how the Peru guy sent the envelope, but arrived at my friend's home. It was a normal envelope, not bubbled.

As from my side, I have sent bubbled envelopes to Denmark, US, Philippines, from an ordinary postal office, with no customs declaration, and they arrived directly to the people. They just weight the envelopes and tell me how much is to pay, I pay and they ship.

Karmicguide said:
So these all came in the mail - looks like they come to Australia just fine :)

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yes!!! didnt think it was possible... gonna throw an order in now!!

Hello, I know this thread is over 8 mo. old, but I got some Aji Charapita seeds from an ebay fellow in Lima peru. Not sure if it is the same guy (hope not). The dept of ag. confiscated my seeds and sent their "mail interception notice" in the empty (seedless) envelope to me.  I sent an ebay message to the guy in Peru that had the good deal mentioned above to see if He had any left. The ebay guy I ordered from is linked below. I did not want to reorder from him as his name is prob flagged in the ag's computer. maybe mine is also now. I doubt they open every package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aji-Charapita-30-seeds-from-Peru-Chili-pepper-/151689591244?

Steven

There has been several cases where customs has grabbed the seeds and not just from south and central America, the FDA, and others are working with Monsanto and some other companies under its thumb are trying to shut all seed trading and even from vendors that are shipping seeds without a certificate. There are ways to get around this, but that is up to you how you want to get your seeds sent to you.
I hope you didn't loose many seed or money Customs is getting to be a real pain.  

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Steven, I might be able to help you tho! I think I have a bag full of Charapita seeds somewhere, if you want I can have a look when I get home. This is one of my favourite peppers and also a beautiful plant, see my glog from last yr for photos!
http://thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/45947-My-first-chilli-pepper-growing-experience

wildseed57 said:
There has been several cases where customs has grabbed the seeds and not just from south and central America, the FDA, and others are working with Monsanto and some other companies under its thumb are trying to shut all seed trading and even from vendors that are shipping seeds without a certificate. There are ways to get around this, but that is up to you how you want to get your seeds sent to you.
I hope you didn't loose many seed or money Customs is getting to be a real pain.  

Hello Wildseed57

The only thing I can think of is to train a big bird to fly directly down there, fill up on Aji Charapitas and hold it till he gets back over my garden.

rory said:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Steven, I might be able to help you tho! I think I have a bag full of Charapita seeds somewhere, if you want I can have a look when I get home. This is one of my favourite peppers and also a beautiful plant, see my glog from last yr for photos!
http://thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/45947-My-first-chilli-pepper-growing-experience

Hello Rory,

Read through your thread, looks like it was a battle at times for you.  Did your Aji Charapitas turn orange or yellow. In one of your last pictures they sort of look orange but it was hard to tell. Are the seeds you have from your own plants you grew?

Steven

Hello Rory,

Read through your thread, looks like it was a battle at times for you.  Did your Aji Charapitas turn orange or yellow. In one of your last pictures they sort of look orange but it was hard to tell. Are the seeds you have from your own plants you grew?

Steven

Yes Charapitas are yellow when ripe. its a pain in the ass collecting them in the end but flavour wise etc its well worth it!! well i had a look for seeds and it turns out i only have 3 or 4! my bad sorry! anyhow i have a plant going again this year!

wildseed57 said:
The Swedes, are big on rocotos as they have a climate that the Rocoto's seem to like, I wonder if any of our Swedish and Norwegian friends have grown any, it will be interesting to find out.

I did not know we were big on them. I've never seen any in any store. Or did you just mean growing them? Rocotos are on my list for next year though.

Hi,  Some of the first Rocoto seeds I traded went to Norway and I Heard that they did really well there and that the fellow was going to send some seeds to a friend in Sweden, this was back in 2004 I had got a really nice variety from a forum named Rocoto.com it was a beautiful bright red apple shaped pepper. By 2010 I heard that there was a lot of rocoto seeds being asked for . So I assume that the rocoto peppers did really well there,  as rocoto are pretty cold hardy so long as they are not hit by frost I had one plant that took 5 days at 36F.with some protection before it got hit with -5F which killed it. I like the larger red apple shaped ones as they just seem to taste better than the brown and white ones, the orange varieties are pretty good also, most of them go under the name of chile manzano and even chile peron  or Pear pepper for its shape, and the yellow ones being called canario.. From what I hear now there are a few members that have some rocoto peppers that are quite large compared to the ones that first started to be passed around. Although there is a couple of varieties that are quite small. I would say that it would be hard to fine a local store that sold them although you might get lucky at a farmer's market its even hard to find them in stores in a few states here in the US. I have had a very hard time finding the fresh peppers here in Missouri. But it depends on the location and ethnic groups.

I am new and I am looking for Aji Pacay...Cousin came to visit me in Wyoming winter, wanted to park her car in my barn and, long story short, her car caught on fire and burned down my barn...I lost 30 years of seeds I had stored there in a varmint proof containers.  I am slowly rebuilding my inventory.  Aji Pacay is only found in far southern Peru and almost impossible to find.  Would appreciate greatly any help.  I am in China currently but am checking my email daily (and this board.)  Thanks!  Mary

Wow, that really sucks you lost all your seeds! I would also love to find some Aji Pacay seeds. I wonder of they taste just like the Aji Amarillo. It's unfortunate this guy isn't selling these seeds anymore. I've been looking for the Aji Mochero, Aji Arnaucho 2, and Aji Pacay seeds for a long time with no luck.

Back