• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade shade cloth anyone?

here in houston we usually are hitting mid to upper 90's by now, and high 90's low 100's by around the end of july.

im looking at putting up a shade cloth for some of my wiener annums that are getting destroyed by the heat. im hoping some shade will alleviate that problem.

so does anyone have experience with shade cloth? my limited research suggests a 40% cloth would be appropriate for my area and plants. i see however that there are various types of cloth as well as different colors... beyond aesthetics, im curious if anyone has any incite as to what is preferable.

im going to order something by next monday, so id appreciate any info one can offer.

http://www.gemplers.com/shade-cloth

I live in the Rio Grande Valley and we have very similar weather and honestly, right now with this heat, I suggest 50-60%. I am using 40% because I already had it but I still notice where the sun shines through that some of my plants wither slightly.

That's just my opinion though and I am no professional gardner, I'm just going but what I see from my plants and what I'm using. I don't think the color really matters to the plants.

im thinking 40 or 50% aluminet honestly. im reading high shade factors just are going to reduce growth.

i could set something up such that when the sun is at its highest the plants are shaded by like 60%, but i would think they are going to need some direct sun in addition to that... a few hours in the early morning and evening hopefully.edit: lol i wish i had a sewing machine... the cloth sold without the reinforcing edging is so cheep.

im thinking 40 or 50% aluminet honestly. im reading high shade factors just are going to reduce growth.

i could set something up such that when the sun is at its highest the plants are shaded by like 60%, but i would think they are going to need some direct sun in addition to that... a few hours in the early morning and evening hopefully.edit: lol i wish i had a sewing machine... the cloth sold without the reinforcing edging is so cheep.

Although this might be true, we live in the South so I doubt 50-60% would change much of the plants growth. I know of some people that have plants that are in indirect sunlight and they are very nice looking plants at that.

Remember, I have 40% and it ain't helping to shade my plants much in this very hot weather and that's why I have decided to build a greenhouse with some type of greenhouse roofing instead of shade cloth all around like I am using right now. I will use shade cloth for the sides. The north side of this is the south wall of my house so it helps to block winds when the northerns come in winter.

If you have the cash,you should think about doing the same so at the very least, the plants are blocked from the sun at the hottest part of the day.

Again, this is from my personal experience...going on right now with 40%. I checked that link you provided and maybe alumnet might work for you but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

And yes, the shade cloth that is not woven is cheaply made but you can probably get something better from a nursery.

I'm lucky cause we have a Kinney Bonded Warehouse in Donna, the closest one to you is in Tyler. They specialize in nursery supplies and stuff. My cousin has an account with them but I think they might sell shade cloth to anybody, most other stuff you would need a retailer's permit. The reason I mention them is because they have that good grade of shade cloth, one you can cut and it won't come apart.

dont know how many percent.. but i got the one from HD..6x25 i think for $31....

e1633086.jpg

plants are in direct sunlight from 8am-4pm!!!

I have 80% down here in the Valley, my containerized plants appreciate it.

I roll it back one day a week to give them some direct sun, but down here the sun is murderous. Put the shade up about a month ago.

Part of AJs success comes from having his plants on an automated watering system. A little water 3 times a day helps with the heat and sun.

My plants continue to grow and flower, just no pods, too hot.

the stuff you buy from Home Depot is normally 70%...I use that for starting to harden off the plants...

I have 30% over one grow area, 50% over my "cement garden", and plants in direct sunlight...each area grows at different rates at different times of the season...or at least that's what it seems to me...

Just remember, use the lowest percent that will get the job done for you because the more light, the better the plant grows....it's all trial and error until you find what works for you...

I have 60% over my greenhouse, which does seem to slow growth down a bit. I use 50% in shade tunnels for my lettuce which is still growing pretty well considering the crazy temperatures we have seen in the Midwest.

im mostly worried about it being more fragile to hail/ wind etc. apparently the white knited stuff tends to be very strong. however if its substantially better than white with respect to cooling, be be ready to throw down some money for alumiate.

my gut tells me aluminate is only for greenhouses that put the stuff ontop of their roofs. it stands to reason that even a white cloth sitting directly on the roof of a tunnel or polycarbonate frame will still collect heat and conduct it into the grow space.

but who knows...certainly not me. if i wasnt so busy id researching my brains out right now, looks like that will have to wait till the weekend. ill let you guys know what i find out.

btw, why wont firefox correct my crap spelling anymore...

Back