• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shishito peppers are the shishit

Vicious Vex said:

Do you think these would make a good powder? Or better eaten fresh? I have never grown them.   Always looking for new flavors

I don't think they would make a very good powder while green, that might change if you let them ripen all the way to red. I'll have to experiment with that.

TXCG said:

I don't think they would make a very good powder while green, that might change if you let them ripen all the way to red. I'll have to experiment with that.
Please report back!  

I might have to trade you for some of these later on this year.  Maybe for some Pineapple Lemon Drop Jelly? 

Shishito...well, there's yet another pepper I'll have to try!

I wish I could finish this thread but had to stop reading after the third seizure triggered by damn vibrating avatars!

hot stuff said:
Bonnie plants have these in 3" pots at Walmart and Lowes.

I just got back from both as well as Home Depot (where I saw 3 plants just 2 days ago...) ALL were gone at Home Depot and Walmart/Lowes had nothing!! Rather upset, I just knew I should have grabbed one when I saw it. I was really surprised to have seen them in the first place! This is the first year they have shown up. Not all sadness though, I did manage to score a 'Thai Hot' (actually 2 plants in one container!), and it came up half off to boot!  :party:

What about Fish Peppers?!? 

Who has tried both the Fish and the Shishito - are they comparable in any way? Mostly noted for their history and beautiful variegated appearance, they are also said to be extremely tasty... especially when prepared like the Shishito. I've heard nothing but high praise as to the Padron's also, never had the pleasure to try them yet.

Hopefully one of the big box stores will re-stock some of the Shishito's this season.  :pray:

cone9 said:
Shishito...well, there's yet another pepper I'll have to try!

I wish I could finish this thread but had to stop reading after the third seizure triggered by damn vibrating avatars!

Dont forget to get a bit for your mouth so you don't bite your tongue off!  

P.S.  Yes you must try them.

Tried this tonight.  It was very good.  Seemed like a pepper or two had some minor heat.  I could have used more salt.   Will do again.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of excitement among the general public about how hot some Padrons suposedly are in the past but they're really nothing special heatwise. They're harvested early before most of them reach full heat, hence the 1/6-1/30 being hot claim, but even at full heat, Padrons really are quite mild. Shishitos are apparently exactly the same phenomenon and roughly the same strength so, while some may indeed be hotter than others, I wouldn't expect much of a reaction from anyone on here.
These chillies are very much for flavour, not for heat anyway.

Also, I picked up my very own Shishito plant yesterday, really excited for the peppers.

Alchymystic said:
What about Fish Peppers?!? 

Who has tried both the Fish and the Shishito - are they comparable in any way? Mostly noted for their history and beautiful variegated appearance, they are also said to be extremely tasty... especially when prepared like the Shishito. I've heard nothing but high praise as to the Padron's also, never had the pleasure to try them yet.

Hopefully one of the big box stores will re-stock some of the Shishito's this season.  :pray:

Fish peppers are great looking and I liked the taste of them right off the plant. Killer color transition.

Maligator said:
I've got a fish pepper plant growing this season. I've grown them before and I like the flavor as well as the appearance ;)
Yeah, I don't get the folks who say they taste bad. Oh well, more for us!

I really wasn't that impressed with them, maybe they would be good roasted I dunno. I won't be growing them any time soon though. 

Shishitos and padrons are very similar. About 1 in 10 is pretty hot. Well at least a nice surprise when you are eating a bunch of mild peppers.

And yes, squeeze a lemon on the fried/dry roasted ones. They are phenomenal.

Back